• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else use N150 in the 6.5cm?

SlowMiss6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2024
South West
Finally think I stumbled upon a powder that shoots a great ES after H4350 and Staball 6.5 weren’t in one of my 6.5’s.

But wanted to see if anyone else is using N150 with 140+ class of bullets? I picked a middle of the road per N150 load data (33 grains but also did test 31,32 to be careful) and the case has a ton of room to spare when loaded to 2.805”. N150 140 Berger load data seems to be be done with COL of 2.700 which I’m wondering if that’s why they stopped with lower charge weights?

I’m at 2558 fps with a 140 34 grains and 24” barrel which is about the vel N150 says is the max load (35.3 with a 140)

I run N150 with the 120gr Scenar-L in a 6.5x47. I know you want heavies in a 6.5 CM though.

It really shoots well, and ES/SD are very good too. I'm running around 2,780 FPS with a 36.0gr in a 26" barrel.

The downside is that N150 is fairly temperature sensitive.

I run N150 with the 120gr Scenar-L in a 6.5x47. I know you want heavies in a 6.5 CM though.

It really shoots well, and ES/SD are very good too. I'm running around 2,780 FPS with a 36.0gr in a 26" barrel.

The downside is that N150 is fairly temperature sensitive.

Thanks for the info

With 36 gr in your 6.5x47, is that a fairly low case fill %? Does low case fill % create any issues?

From my research, ( I could be totally wrong this is just what I found) the old N150 did have some issues with temp sensitivity but supposedly the new N150 (changed a number of years ago) was suppose to be pretty good. This was really the only data I could find

N150 might be a fuzz on the fast side for the Creedmoor; N160 may be a better fit.

Haven't used either in the 6.5CM as I'm still sitting on a multi year supply of H4350 (need to get out and shoot it more) but I have ran a *lot* of N150 through both the 223 and 308. Which why I have a hard time believing it'd be a good fit for the 140+ gn bullets in 6.5CM.

N150 might be a fuzz on the fast side for the Creedmoor; N160 may be a better fit.

Haven't used either in the 6.5CM as I'm still sitting on a multi year supply of H4350 (need to get out and shoot it more) but I have ran a *lot* of N150 through both the 223 and 308. Which why I have a hard time believing it'd be a good fit for the 140+ gn bullets in 6.5CM.

From a avg velocity standpoint, its 100 fps + slower than the typical powder like H4350. But I was getting ES of 40 plus with H4350 and Staball 6.5, tried everything to fix it and finally tired some N150 and my ES went to single digit for 8 of 9 shots, the other shot opened ES into the 20s but I didn’t preload the rifle/bipod like the other shots

Otherwise I would’ve stuck with H4350 if I wasn’t having problem.

My main concern with N150 is am I going to see any issues with such a slow case vol fill? I’m at about 34 grains and brought my COL down to 2.805 to reduce vol in the case but VV data shows they loading close to 2.700”

Update: called Berger and they were very helpful and sent over some 140/156 N150 data with COL at 2.800. Powder charges were much more in line with good fill capacities

Thanks for the info

With 36 gr in your 6.5x47, is that a fairly low case fill %? Does low case fill % create any issues?

From my research, ( I could be totally wrong this is just what I found) the old N150 did have some issues with temp sensitivity but supposedly the new N150 (changed a number of years ago) was suppose to be pretty good. This was really the only data I could find

Definitely not a full case. In typical fashion for the 6.5x47s you can load them up to pressures far beyond SAMMI spec and usually not see any signs. I however need to get my bolt face bushed because I was getting significant cratering at 37.0gr.

35.9 - 36.1 just shoots in my rifle very well. My Brux doesn't like going higher, and I was cratering primers big time before the groups started to come back together.

I can answer one question and that is to say that two low of case fill can be dangerous.

Be careful not to get caught up chasing numbers in too small of a sample. I doubt just a change in powder from h4350 to n150 is going to have a huge effect on your ES and SD. Not to mention that taking a much more temp sensitive powder into the field is going to have other disadvantages. I.E your extreme velocity spread between 30 degrees and 80 degrees is going to be larger just due to temp change.

Reactions: Baron23
its the sierra accuracy load (for 260) i shoot 140 smk
38 grains av 2600 fps
39 grains av 2650. i only have one lb of the powder... wish i could find more
this post was for informational purposes on the 140 question and velocity given