• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever go to St Maarten? what to expect

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    Apparently the company i work for wants to take the entire sales team to ST maarten in Nov. There are supposed to be only limited meetings so I will have a lot of free time on my hands. I would like to fish. do they rent poles, daily, etc... Can you you bring and carry a normal pocket knife for EDC. is the french side better than the dutch? I am looking for intel and not the standard crap you get on the google
    thanks in advance

I was scuba diving about 20 years ago, all I remember is renting a car and being warned not to lock it, as the thieves would break windows then you have to pay for the windows. Seemed high (non violent) crime. Restraunts all sucked with slow service and bad food.

Hopefully better now let me know.

It's a shit hole. Also won't take dollars. Real French attitudes. I will never go there again

Reactions: BCP and diverdon
    I was there last thanksgiving for 7 days. Cool place but a little expensive. There are good restaurants at every one of the French beaches and Dutch beaches. Make sure you go to the bar next to the airport. Crazy folks hang on to the fence while jets take off. People were nice and we had a great time. I took several knives but none were automatic. There is some surfing if you like that and diving. COVID might have things slowed down. I did not see any shady stuff the whole time I was there but I was never outside the house we rented after dark.

Traveled there ~6 years ago. St. Maarten is fun. You can spends thousands/day and have a great time, or spend dozens/day and have a great time. You also have access to numerous islands nearby if you have boat access, which anyone with cash does.

Pocket knife:
    I was told no and carried one regardless. No one seemed to care. I was warned by locals that there were assholes that were not beneath robbing tourists at night if they stray too far into the residential areas of the island. Everyone seem to have one.

Sea fishing: Yes. I had no trouble finding a tour guide for anything I wanted to do. Scuba to Sea Fishing.

French vs Dutch:
    French Side is absolutely "cleaner/nicer" than Dutch side, especially if you like blowing your money and love the French experience of dealing with the French asshole experience. I recall it was 3x as nice and 10x as expensive. I remember lots of kitschy sports bars, expensive fun rides (helos and water jets) and pretty much a college party beach scene that you can find in numerous places across America.

You can pay a couple of bucks to ride the local transpo to get to the French side for an experience that reminded me too much of Panama City, FL.

I recommend the island local private buses. They are like island uber, except they travel a specific route around the island, so they arrive when they arrive. If you travel light this is the recommended mode of travel other than by boat. If you hate sitting with working class people then this isn't for you and neither is the Dutch side of the island.

I preferred the Dutch side by the airport runway where I could watch idiots get sand blasted for hanging on to the fence. One of the locals confided that the local workers go down there at night with metal detectors or just sand sifting to pull out the valuables discarded. So if your are the type that likes to get the shit knocked out of you for the thrill of it, stow your valuables before the attempt.

The Dutch side of the island was a polar opposite shift in attitude. Laid back and very friendly, but cheap and somewhat run down in parts. If I ever return, I won't go to the French side again.

A lot of the local boat tours are pretty private affairs and if you hire one you can ask to go pretty much anywhere you want. My first question was take me off the beaten path for some day drinking. He took us to a hole in the wall bar on a beach tended by a lone woman who sold beer for less than a dollar. I don't think it was even on the same island as St. Maarten and didn't really care. He poured us Rum drinks on the ride there and on the ride back.

Oh, and prostitution is legal in brothels. Not my thing, so I cannot offer a review, but if you are taking a companion you might warn them in advance that it is present.

Reactions: diverdon
    I wouldn't take the local transportation anywhere. You drive through slums, unarmed, and it would be nothing to pull you into an alley and rob you blind.

Went to the dutch side, wasn't impressed, whole island was pretty Meh to be honest.

it's a stupid generalization by someone who doesn't know shit from shinola about that part of the world and who thinks what happens in one corner of latin america happens the same everywhere else south of the Rio Grande.

it's a stupid generalization by someone who doesn't know shit from shinola about that part of the world and who thinks what happens in one corner of latin america happens the same everywhere else south of the Rio Grande.
    Don't drink the alcohol bring your own, all these places are killing people by fucking with the alcohol.
    It was the DR:

Been to the Dutch side on a 12 day cruise recently. Beautiful!!!! Affordable liquor in the local shops, very. Drink a Trinidad Carib beer at a beachside Cafe... Awesome.... They had no problem with American money. I thought it was great.

Perhaps they cleaned things up since they are so dependent on tourism and there hasn't been much of that recently.

Reactions: diverdon
    Been to the Dutch side on a 12 day cruise recently. Beautiful!!!! Affordable liquor in the local shops, very. Drink a Trinidad Carib beer at a beachside Cafe... Awesome.... They had no problem with American money. I thought it was great.
    Yeah I was on the french side what a bunch of.......french.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot and RGStory
    Love St Maarten!! Been there many times. Stay at the Beachside Villas in Simpson Bay on the Dutch side. Can’t wait to go back. We much prefer their Dutch side over the French. Never felt unsafe on the island. Have fun!!

Find a real liquor store, look for Blantons Straight from the barrel and Wild Turkey 13.
    Buy it.

Reactions: Maggot
    FELICIA,S Ribs and chicken if she is still there, just sayin.
    '
    Personally, I prefer the French side.
    The Esmeralda,
    If you are looking for cultural shock,
    That's not the island.
    Coffee and eggs are expensive but the beers are cheap unless you prefer the imports like Budweiser etc..

Reactions: uffduh
    Have chartered out of Simpson Bay many times. Check out the Dinghy Dock in the marina. I personally prefer the French side. Grand Case has some great restaurants and beach bars.

ETA: There's a ferry to St Barth's if you want to check out another island. I haven't taken it, but others have said it works well, like 45 mins. Lots of great restaurants, bars and yachts to gawk at.

Have chartered out of Simpson Bay many times. Check out the Dinghy Dock in the marina. I personally prefer the French side. Grand Case has some great restaurants and beach bars.

ETA: There's a ferry to St Barth's if you want to check out another island. I haven't taken it, but others have said it works well, like 45 mins. Lots of great restaurants, bars and yachts to gawk at.
    Did the ferry (big ass catamaran) to Ste
    Bart's, round trip tickets, and the engines came out of the water around the end of the island, a little rough seas
    Wife got rather seasick quickly.
    Spent a couple days there on Barts, she said I can't do the boat back, so I go to Airport hooked up with a chopper that was deadheading back to Saint Martin.
    Few years later, she said oh we need a boat, and yes we bought a boat.

I’m hoping to get a nice pole and do some fishing. Some of the other guys are setting up a golf outting, I’ll pass. I cannot stand the game.

I’m hoping to get a nice pole and do some fishing. Some of the other guys are setting up a golf outting, I’ll pass. I cannot stand the game.

VERY fun, great people, get a grilled lobster at breedys, folks were great, both Dutch side and French side, hike the outpost on the French side, no one was too crazy with the covid shit, prices were good, some fun parties on the beach too.

4-BAC75-F6-A4-C7-4957-87-F3-8-AEE797-CDF7-D.jpg

6-C91071-A-B740-4-A55-B2-A0-1-DA617-C94-F35.jpg

FCF6-BD52-FE7-B-495-B-A0-A4-797-DC5-E2483-C.jpg

6938734-D-090-E-4-B0-A-812-D-1608-C7666-E5-F.jpg

*I also experienced no crime issues, or really saw anything that had my spidy sense going, I paid for everything with my card with no issue, food and drinks were great, and price wise it’s cheaper than a most major party cities in the US

Wife and I were there a few years back. We both enjoyed it. We stayed in Grand Case. A bit sleepy but nice walking town with excellent food! The Dutch side seemed much ore commercial than the French with many recognizable chain stores/restaurants. Did not fish but the diving was nice for the Carribean. Beer and wine was reasonable by island standards. GL and enjoy.

ocean club has a awesome breakfast last time i went, couple from texas were running it. BBQ on thursdays too if i remember correctly

off topic but my cousin in law owns 3 bars /pubs in the US (not cheap shit holes)

every bar refills bottles ...its how they make money

come 1:00am and 5 drinks in , no one can taste the difference of "100% kettle 1" and 80% "kettle 1"

the difference is the bars in the US arent using methanol or any other alcohol they can find, they just use cheap shit

apparently, the skill lies in matching the correct cheap shit to the correct Top Shelf bottle

• Haha
    Reactions: TurboTrout
    We stayed at Le Petit on Grand Case, French side, on an anniversary a couple years ago. Great restaurants with shuttle service to and from provided by the hotel. Pretty, quiet and very safe area. Walk to several bars and restaurants down the beach. Walk to small out of the way topless beaches which is where we spent our days just hanging out drinking. Stayed in that area the entire time. If you are looking for anything but a laid back and relax vacation probably not the best place.

Ex
    off topic but my cousin in law owns 3 bars /pubs in the US (not cheap shit holes)

every bar refills bottles ...its how they make money

come 1:00am and 5 drinks in , no one can taste the difference of "100% kettle 1" and 80% "kettle 1"

the difference is the bars in the US arent using methanol or any other alcohol they can find, they just use cheap shit

apparently, the skill lies in matching the correct cheap shit to the correct Top Shelf bottle

So you’re going to trust your not too bright bartender, who can’t even be trusted to show up on time, to do this methanol mix game, to save a few bucks, where getting it wrong could kill your customer and destroy your business and likely life?

2b02ewx.jpg

That’s up there with razors in Halloween candy, I know everyone knows a guy who’s cousins kid was a victim, but really, I mean reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy?

BTW, where I ate that tasty lobster, I saw the guy tossing bottles in the trash, grabbing new ones and putting the pour spout in them, no, it wasn’t my twice separated cousin who saw this, it was me, as I was eating the lobster I took that photo of. So yeah....

I sure it happened once somewhere, but this is right up there with being afraid of being hit by a falling piece of the space station or something. You also scared of your own farts?

Don't forget to go to Seaman’s Club , very reasonable rates and a lot to choose from.

Reactions: srtsam
    Ex

So you’re going to trust your not too bright bartender, who can’t even be trusted to show up on time, to do this methanol mix game, to save a few bucks, where getting it wrong could kill your customer and destroy your business and likely life?

2b02ewx.jpg

That’s up there with razors in Halloween candy, I know everyone knows a guy who’s cousins kid was a victim, but really, I mean reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy?

BTW, where I ate that tasty lobster, I saw the guy tossing bottles in the trash, grabbing new ones and putting the pour spout in them, no, it wasn’t my twice separated cousin who saw this, it was me, as I was eating the lobster I took that photo of. So yeah....

I sure it happened once somewhere, but this is right up there with being afraid of being hit by a falling piece of the space station or something. You also scared of your own farts?
    Pretty sure his point is the places killing people are using methanol to cut their booze whereas his cuz is cutting it with cheap booze thereby safely ripping off his customers

Reactions: brianf
    Pretty sure his point is the places killing people are using methanol to cut their booze whereas his cuz is cutting it with cheap booze thereby safely ripping off his customers

I think even a bar owner with a sub 70IQ could figure risking killing customers is bad business, especially with the price of cheap well booze at industry price, frankly even at min wage the skill and time required to pull it off, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze. I mean one pissed off waitress making a video and putting it on social media, you’re cooked, and outside of china pretty much everyone has the same social media.

If it’s a place that depends on tourists for their economy, even the third world ones don’t take kindly to that shit, as if the tourists go to the next town one sleeze bag bar is now taking food on their kids plates too

As for mixing bottles in the US and that ghetto crap, I’m fine with it as the people that run that shit of a ship normally arnt in business for long.

The same places that do that probably are fucking around with their taxes, food, pest control, wages, etc

Last edited:
    I think even a bar owner with a sub 70IQ could figure risking killing customers is bad business, especially with the price of cheap well booze at industry price, frankly even at min wage the skill and time required to pull it off, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze. I mean one pissed off waitress making a video and putting it on social media, you’re cooked, and outside of china pretty much everyone has the same social media.

If it’s a place that depends on tourists for their economy, even the third world ones don’t take kindly to that shit, as if the tourists go to the next town one sleeze bag bar is now taking food on their kids plates too

As for mixing bottles in the US and that ghetto crap, I’m fine with it as the people that run that shit of a ship normally arnt in business for long.

The same places that do that probably are fucking around with their taxes, food, pest control, wages, etc

your trying to be ethical...

same kind of place that the waitress takes a shrimp off my plate before it gets to the table. The space is still on the plate where clearly a scrimp sat. LOL. As for alcohol, when im out,I drink Grey Goose. I can drink a shit load (not a ton) and i know its the real deal if i wake up with no headache. I like Titos but too much gives me a headache.
    at home I'll sometimes do a grey metagoosil which is goose and sugar free orange metamucil LOL.
    or lonestar beer when i can get it
    or bourbon.

your trying to be ethical...

Fuck ethics, I’m trying to be rich.

And playing fuck fuck games gets you broke. I mean this isn’t taking a risk for a multi million dollar payout, it’s taking a risk for less money than the average guy has in his wallet.

Get one pissed waitress or bar back (every place has a few) they record the manager/owner/whomever doing nasty shit like that, remember everyone has a high definition video camera in their pocket these days, they post it, people see it, the amount it could cost the business and owner, personally, if it gets a few shares is mind boggling.

And all to save what in the total overhead amounts to change?

Besides if it’s so bad that you’re having to do that type of scam, you’re going to be going out of business soon anyways.

same kind of place that the waitress takes a shrimp off my plate before it gets to the table. The space is still on the plate where clearly a scrimp sat. LOL. As for alcohol, when im out,I drink Grey Goose. I can drink a shit load (not a ton) and i know its the real deal if i wake up with no headache. I like Titos but too much gives me a headache.
    at home I'll sometimes do a grey metagoosil which is goose and sugar free orange metamucil LOL.
    or lonestar beer when i can get it
    or bourbon.

You send it back to the kitchen, tell them that obviously someone was eating off your plate. Cooks ain’t going to appreciate that, manager ain’t going to appreciate that, everyone knows what happened, someone likely get a come to
    Jesus talk

I go out to eat a lot, I have three tips
    Default 20% which is most all the time
    20-100% if you do something major, or you stay open for me or something
    0% - I walk out, that takes some major effort, in my whole lift this has happened probably 2-3 times

Reactions: srtsam
    Fuck ethics, I’m trying to be rich.

And playing fuck fuck games gets you broke. I mean this isn’t taking a risk for a multi million dollar payout, it’s taking a risk for less money than the average guy has in his wallet.

Get one pissed waitress or bar back (every place has a few) they record the manager/owner/whomever doing nasty shit like that, remember everyone has a high definition video camera in their pocket these days, they post it, people see it, the amount it could cost the business and owner, personally, if it gets a few shares is mind boggling.

And all to save what in the total overhead amounts to change?

Besides if it’s so bad that you’re having to do that type of scam, you’re going to be going out of business soon anyways.
    100%

too bad 9 out of 10 people dont think like that

always looking for the easy way out and come out behind where they would have been if they just put their head down and worked hard and smart

About $57.00 in VA ABC stores. I bought the same thing on the Dutch side for $26.00.

Attachments

• don-julio-blanco-2.jpg
      don-julio-blanco-2.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 32