• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever seen this happen?

Onemoretime

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2007
San Diego, CA
What caused it?

cimg1577.jpg

Re: Anyone ever seen this happen?

Just guessing, but it looks like your seater die is too low in your press.

Probably a stupid question, but is that the right caliber bullet for that case? I was also thinking you might have your Die screwed to far into the press.

Yes, it's a 30-06 case with a 208gr Amax bullet.

I loaded 25 rounds all at the same time. Only 10 were a problem with this one being the worst. All the problem ones were the same powder and charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard did it seat? </div></div>

Seating was fine, no problems. Didn't even notice it 'til I got to the range and was getting ready to drop it in the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pshell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just guessing, but it looks like your seater die is too low in your press. </div></div>

I've loaded hundreds of rounds with this seater die and another 50 or so after this with no problems.

Just Pull'en stuff out my backside, Could it be caused from
seating too Quick? Buckling from accumulative friction kinda thing.
Just a thought...

Given that the seating die has been set at that depth for a long period of time (die depth was my first guess), is it possible that this particular piece of brass was too long and hit the crimping part inside the die and got squished?

The first thing I would do is back the die out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and screw the seater plug back in till I got back to the seating depth that I originally had.

Those are my thoughts.

Is it possible that this is brass that has been loaded a number of times and the infamous "ring" is creating a problem with the seating of the longer bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaterInTheSouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just Pull'en stuff out my backside, Could it be caused from
seating too Quick? Buckling from accumulative friction kinda thing.
Just a thought... </div></div>

Nope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given that the seating die has been set at that depth for a long period of time (die depth was my first guess), is it possible that this particular piece of brass was too long and hit the crimping part inside the die and got squished?

The first thing I would do is back the die out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and screw the seater plug back in till I got back to the seating depth that I originally had.

Those are my thoughts. </div></div>

I reload 3 bullets at 3 different OAL's so it's constantly moving. I measured all the brass thinking the same thing, not the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible that this is brass that has been loaded a number of times and the infamous "ring" is creating a problem with the seating of the longer bullet? </div></div>

These were the 3rd loadings on this brass and I ONLY had trouble with those bullets at that powder charge at that seating depth.

67.4gr of Ramshot Mag in a fireformed necksized case under a 208gr Amax at 3.46 OAL.

Maybe but NONE of my other rounds have done this. Win brass across the board.

If its not a problem with the OAL being to long or the die set to low and hitting the neck i would guess that there is a bunch of bullet tension and its just causing those long neck to bulge like that. With 3 firings on the case i wouldn't see it being to soft or it would have done it alot worse on the first few firings. Pull the bullets and see if the bulge is in the inside as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru ⊕</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its not a problem with the OAL being to long or the die set to low and hitting the neck i would guess that there is a bunch of bullet tension and its just causing those long neck to bulge like that. With 3 firings on the case i wouldn't see it being to soft or it would have done it alot worse on the first few firings. Pull the bullets and see if the bulge is in the inside as well. </div></div>

I'm going to pull the bullet today and see what's up. I loaded 90 rounds yesterday with 240 matchkings and not a single problem. I'll also measure the OD of the 208's and see what differences there are.