• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone got a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223/5.56 accuracy questions.

So I'm wanting to pick up a bolt action .223/5.56 for just plinking around and target shooting. I have tons of ammo and reloading supplies for 5.56 so it only makes sense. I have plenty of ARs but really want a super accurate bolt gun. I picked up a Ruger precision 22lr and I'm super impressed with it I can shoot blades of grass and small twigs in half with it, Just the other day I had to shoot my drone out of a tree. So im hoping this follows suit and the big guns are just as accurate.

Ive googled and seen the reviewers but most of these reviewers cant shoot good groups at least what i consider good groups, and they are using store bought ammo. Im hoping someone on here is a better shot and uses hand loaded ammo. To see what the true accuracy of these guns are, Im looking for a gun that can do 1 hole punches at 100 yards or at least have all 3 bullet holes touching.

Thanks all for any an all info, BTW im open to other suggestions I would like to keep it under $1500 for this one, I'm saving up for that sweet sweet 50bmg by the end of the year hopefully!

Thanks all,

Shadowlid

I had one for a while. Never did much load development with it, but it shot pretty well at 100 yards with 80gr VLDs. Got pushed around pretty good at distance because of the short barrel, but overall, a fine shooter.

Most or all of the 5.56 RPRs had awful cratering issues, which is why they were discontinued. Mine sure did no matter what charge or primers were used. That could be remedied by bushing the firing pin hole, though I never had it done before selling it.

Only other thing that bugged me about it was the feeding. It was not a huge fan of long heavy bullets. Not that you could really take advantage of them with the factory throat anyway, but feeding was clunky to put it nicely. Tried a couple different mags, factory was the best but was only OK… Accurate, MDT, etc. all left something to be desired. YMMV.

I ended up going the custom route on my .223 bolt gun because I enjoyed shooting it so much but personally I’d tell you to look for a Tikka Varmint or CTR before trying to find an RPR.

I got lucky and have two RPR's that have not a bit of the primer cratering issue. Never shot them from the bench though, only offhand at steel, reduced 200 xc, or slung up mr-52 prone, using any of my F/TR or service rifle loads.

I also got lucky with a Savage 223 F/TR rifle that I bought when they first came out. It still shoots well at 200 with a lot of rounds through it. It started life shooting 80gr Berger VLDs at the 1000 yard prone matches.

It was the Remington 700P 223 that I bought that was a pos pain to get shooting, and only then after using Tubb's final finish on it.

223's are like 22lr's, you can't have just one.

ps. Get something with a 7 or 8 twist so you can shoot the heavier bullets. They used to be pretty much non-existent but that has changed.

Last edited:
You know the Ruger Precision 223 was discontinued quite a while ago right? I wish I would have grabbed one up. Unless you have a line on one they aren't easy to find and the last few I saw sold for premium money.

Reactions: Bender
I haven't had a ton of time to mess with mine but with 75gr BTHP Hornady reloads it looks like its going to be a great shooter so far.

I’ve been wondering when someone will get around to making bolt bodies, for any of them, American or RPR.

Apples to oranges but Ruger American Predator and Ranch are both available in 223/5.56. Both are 8 twist and feed from AR mags. I have the 16” barreled Ranch and haven’t had any feeding issues in 120 rounds from PMags. It shoots 69 SMK ADI factory loads sub MOA for 5 at 100.
I’ve got some 77 TMK and Varget that I’m going to start trying after the first of the year. Seems as though a lot of people have had success with this combo. Only downside is that I’m limited to AR mag length. I’m not sure what the RPR is.

I had one for a while. Never did much load development with it, but it shot pretty well at 100 yards with 80gr VLDs. Got pushed around pretty good at distance because of the short barrel, but overall, a fine shooter.

Most or all of the 5.56 RPRs had awful cratering issues, which is why they were discontinued. Mine sure did no matter what charge or primers were used. That could be remedied by bushing the firing pin hole, though I never had it done before selling it.

Only other thing that bugged me about it was the feeding. It was not a huge fan of long heavy bullets. Not that you could really take advantage of them with the factory throat anyway, but feeding was clunky to put it nicely. Tried a couple different mags, factory was the best but was only OK… Accurate, MDT, etc. all left something to be desired. YMMV.

I ended up going the custom route on my .223 bolt gun because I enjoyed shooting it so much but personally I’d tell you to look for a Tikka Varmint or CTR before trying to find an RPR.
I just bought one i found in estate sale. Had primer cratering issue, several smiths will faix that for around 100$. The mag is proprietary and done to accomodate seating bullets longer than norm 223 mags.
Apples to oranges but Ruger American Predator and Ranch are both available in 223/5.56. Both are 8 twist and feed from AR mags. I have the 16” barreled Ranch and haven’t had any feeding issues in 120 rounds from PMags. It shoots 69 SMK ADI factory loads sub MOA for 5 at 100.
I’ve got some 77 TMK and Varget that I’m going to start trying after the
5EC70BF8-55EA-4BDB-82B4-ED1A5323722F.jpeg
first of the year. Seems as though a lot of people have had success with this combo. Only downside is that I’m limited to AR mag length. I’m not sure what the RPR is.
RPR MAG is proprietary but allows you to seat bullets much longer than norm mags

Attachments

• 974F865A-4025-40DD-A22A-80E1F39468C9.jpeg
    974F865A-4025-40DD-A22A-80E1F39468C9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • E8982099-D2CB-48BA-943A-E657F95C977F.jpeg
    E8982099-D2CB-48BA-943A-E657F95C977F.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 98

I just bought one i found in estate sale. Had primer cratering issue, several smiths will faix that for around 100$. The mag is proprietary and done to accomodate seating bullets longer than norm 223 mags.

RPR MAG is proprietary but allows you to seat bullets much longer than norm mags

Ruger mag length was right around the same as a modified Accurate-Mag and MDT… not that it really matters because you can’t load a factory RPR to mag length anyway unless you want to run like 50 thou worth of jam, lol.

Also the RPR accepts any AICS pattern mag, but I’m not sure if the factory RPR mags are compatible with other DBMs/chassis. I never tried it when I had it.

Ruger mag length was right around the same as a modified Accurate-Mag and MDT… not that it really matters because you can’t load a factory RPR to mag length anyway unless you want to run like 50 thou worth of jam, lol.

Also the RPR accepts any AICS pattern mag, but I’m not sure if the factory RPR mags are compatible with other DBMs/chassis. I never tried it when I had it.
I also bought a custom 204 ruger barrel for the RPR. great varmint rig. As for the 556 barrel, i had some handloaded cartridges i used in my AR for 600 yards in HPR MATCHES. they had to be fed singly, too long for mag feed. I keep 10 with my DMR AR for standoffs. The fit RPR mags wo any issues and cycle, shoot well.

I also bought a custom 204 ruger barrel for the RPR. great varmint rig. As for the 556 barrel, i had some handloaded cartridges i used in my AR for 600 yards in HPR MATCHES. they had to be fed singly, too long for mag feed. I keep 10 with my DMR AR for standoffs. The fit RPR mags wo any issues and cycle, shoot well.
With the AR I would seat bullets out every 500 rounds or so as chamber throat wears. Accuracy would return, you can do same with RPR, as throat wears. I found normal 75-77 gr norm length rounds still shot accurately but atips, vlds need to be adjusted for wear (seating) or they start “spreading” down range. I was able to get high master scores with 3500+ rounds, even with using N540.

I have one in 5.56 and it had the catering issue. It can be fixed by measuring firing pin protrusion and then taking it down to what it should be. A lot of these rifles had very excessive FP protrusion.