• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a Draco’s barrel

Sent you a reply to your pm with link to my testing/review. There are about 3-4 other threads covering Dracos in one form or another but they're still not a ton of reviews out (other than here).

I would highly recommend spending your coin on a Bartlein or Krieger instead.

I would highly recommend spending your coin on a Bartlein or Krieger instead.

Take that Bartlein, and have it StraightJacketed. Check Brian Litz advancements in modern shooting. Pretty sure the jacket was the lightest and most accurate. The first Falkor rifles were built by the Teludyne Custom shop, they've got this thing down to a science. Many articles out there on StraightJacket, including the HP White testing and many gun writer reviews. Buy once, cry once.

Take that Bartlein, and have it StraightJacketed. Check Brian Litz advancements in modern shooting. Pretty sure the jacket was the lightest and most accurate. The first Falkor rifles were built by the Teludyne Custom shop, they've got this thing down to a science. Many articles out there on StraightJacket, including the HP White testing and many gun writer reviews. Buy once, cry once.

I'm fully aware. Have you purchased and worked with a Dracos barrel?

I'm fully aware. Have you purchased and worked with a Dracos barrel?

I own 5 Teludyne StraightJackets. They built the first "dracos" / Falkor combos, and supplied the patents for the dracos system. So, no, I have not purchased a Dracos, I have no need. The Teludyne Custom Shop is moments from my home, I like the look of the system better, the brake is ridiculous, and it's still an amazing warranty. I did, however, hold a brand new .308 dracos in my hand the other day, and passed it up. Falkor rifles are sick, but I'm sticking to my Jackets till I find reason to pony up $5k for a DMR or Petra.

I have one. It's been a consistent sub-moa gun so far. Only a few hundred rounds through it. It took some doing to get things adjusted properly. My only complaints are the machining on the barrel extension sucks. Edges are sharp as shit. Very hard on brass. The other complaint is the the gas block doesn't adjust pressure so you'll need an adjustable gas key. I have the RCA key and it works fine. Also, they back pedaled on the lifetime warranty. To me that is shady as shit. I made copies of their website and all the shot show interviews they made about the you shoot it out we'll replace it guarantee. Personally there is no way in hell I'd pay full price for one. I got a blem model for 500.00. For 800 plus get a bartlein, Kreiger, or proof research. The Draco's is mean looking mother though.
34140913_10212396148563435_152105738506862592_o.jpg

35924108_10212538430960406_7533578009635192832_n.jpg

Reactions: Panamacitymustang
I had the misfortune of buying a blem, and not being able to get any better than around 1.5” groups, which was more of a fluke than anything as the barrel was more prone to shotgun blast patterns. The barrel flexed like crazy as well, which I thought was strange as they claim very high rigidity. I tried three different kinds of bullets and nothing shot worth a damn out of it. The barrel did stay very cool though, even after long strings. I had a Krieger 308 barrel on the gun previous to this that was legitimately 1/2” 5-shot group capable.

I sent it back and they replaced it under warranty with a non-blem barrel. I was pleasantly surprised that they weren’t joking around about their lifetime warranty and the customer service was great, but I wasn’t about to waste a bunch more time and reloading components to maybe get it to shoot, so I sold it.

There’s very little data on these barrels out there to date, but what is out there seems to be very hit or miss. I, for one, will never again buy a barrel for a precision AR build unless it is being made from a Bartlein or Krieger blank, or has JP Enterprises stamped on the side of it. After this experience, I’ve come to believe that when it comes to barrels, there are no free lunches. I am not convinced that you can have light weight, high degree of accuracy, extreme rigidity, extreme heat dissipation and unlimited barrel life all in one package. Something has to give. If you could, either everyone would have one on their rifles or nobody could afford the technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: r.tenorio671
I had the misfortune of buying a blem, and not being able to get any better than around 1.5” groups, which was more of a fluke than anything as the barrel was more prone to shotgun blast patterns. The barrel flexed like crazy as well, which I thought was strange as they claim very high rigidity. I tried three different kinds of bullets and nothing shot worth a damn out of it. The barrel did stay very cool though, even after long strings. I had a Krieger 308 barrel on the gun previous to this that was legitimately 1/2” 5-shot group capable.

I sent it back and they replaced it under warranty with a non-blem barrel. I was pleasantly surprised that they weren’t joking around about their lifetime warranty and the customer service was great, but I wasn’t about to waste a bunch more time and reloading components to maybe get it to shoot, so I sold it.

There’s very little data on these barrels out there to date, but what is out there seems to be very hit or miss. I, for one, will never again buy a barrel for a precision AR build unless it is being made from a Bartlein or Krieger blank, or has JP Enterprises stamped on the side of it. After this experience, I’ve come to believe that when it comes to barrels, there are no free lunches. I am not convinced that you can have light weight, high degree of accuracy, extreme rigidity, extreme heat dissipation and unlimited barrel life all in one package. Something has to give. If you could, either everyone would have one on their rifles or nobody could afford the technology.

Did you have an adjustable gas key installed? Also, the earlier barrels didn't have the gas block dwell adjusted and there wasn't much information about how to adjust it available. There was a learning curve but once it is set-up they shoot well. Mine shoots about anything at 1moa. The 143 ELD-X factory ammo has been the best. I haven't worked up reloads yet. Mine shot like hell until it was adjusted correctly.

Did you have an adjustable gas key installed? Also, the earlier barrels didn't have the gas block dwell adjusted and there wasn't much information about how to adjust it available. There was a learning curve but once it is set-up they shoot well. Mine shoots about anything at 1moa. The 143 ELD-X factory ammo has been the best. I haven't worked up reloads yet. Mine shot like hell until it was adjusted correctly.

Yes, I had an RCA gas key and the gas block dwell adjustment. Like I said, I put a lot of time into it and played with a lot of settings. The barrel was a turd, without a doubt.

Reactions: wilsoncs3980
Yes, I had an RCA gas key and the gas block dwell adjustment. Like I said, I put a lot of time into it and played with a lot of settings. The barrel was a turd, without a doubt.
Thanks for the reply. I think I’m going to go with something else.

Thanks. I was looking at a blem myself

Thanks. I was looking at a blem myself
You know, while I like mine, it's finicky. There seems to be something related to muzzle brake torque that affects POI significantly. I tested 4-5 different torque settings from hand tight (with loctite to keep from slipping) to 45ft/lbs+ and it shot best at 35-45lbs. Note that is a lot of torque for muzzle device.
However it printed 4 back to back <.3" 3 shot groups and two .4" 5-shot groups with zero POI shift. The problem is it won't stay that way. It gets a bit warm and groups seem to have a two-group pattern about 1MOA apart (high/low).

Called Dracos Friday and they are going to get back to me on Monday with resolution. If they replace it, I may keep it if it shoots, otherwise it will have been a fun experiment. I think the concept is awesome but they have some fine tuning to get it to be a top tier barrel choice.

I spoke with Dracos staff today and I gotta give them a kudos. They sent me a return label (no cost), are going to inspect barrel and replace if needed. Also they are going to install and test with my CB brake for TBAC Ultra 9.

Additionally, I asked them to send a head spaced bolt with with barrel upon return and I offered to pay with CC today. They called back and said "we are going to send one with barrel at no cost for your trouble."

They can be tough to reach at times but they are definitely a company that works hard to keep you happy and provide awesome service. In either case, they try very hard and are committed to making things right. Hopefully the barrel shoots better upon return.

I spoke with Dracos staff today and I gotta give them a kudos. They sent me a return label (no cost), are going to inspect barrel and replace if needed. Also they are going to install and test with my CB brake for TBAC Ultra 9.

Additionally, I asked them to send a head spaced bolt with with barrel upon return and I offered to pay with CC today. They called back and said "we are going to send one with barrel at no cost for your trouble."

They can be tough to reach at times but they are definitely a company that works hard to keep you happy and provide awesome service. In either case, they try very hard and are committed to making things right. Hopefully the barrel shoots better upon return.

Let us know how it works out.

Let us know how it works out.
So I'll be posting this in separate thread but I've gotta give the team at Dracos/Falkor Defense some much deserved props!

I sent my barrel off to them on a Friday and the following Friday I received a brand new replacement barrel, along with a FREE matching bolt at ZERO COST TO ME. They covered freight both ways and returned barrel in 7 total days, 5 of which were in transit via USPS priority mail. They shipped it back using 2nd day express.

I haven't shot it yet but wow! I'm dumbfounded in a good way. That is excellent customer service!

By comparison, I sent out another barrel to another high-end smith that was shooting shotgun patterns the same day. The other company has had the barrel for about a week but had to call to get update and even then, they only said "it arrived on the 14th but we don't have any info yet." When I asked how long/next steps, they said ,"don't know and I don't have any information. We will call you back with info later today." Nothing back... And I paid for shipping along with pulling teeth to get them to look at it.

So not only can Dracos willingly cover and replace a barrel that was arguably shooting well but somewhat inconsistent at times, they decided to send a new barrel and bolt at no cost. Compare that to paying for 400+ rounds of ammo, time and shipping with no end date or even rough ETA for resolution on another barrel... Which would you rather do business with?

Kudos to Casey and Sam at Dracos/Falkor for their help and super fast replies! Will be testing new barrel soon and post range update in coming week or so in my other Dracos thread.

I have run a 6.5 dracos. It shoots very well with no evidence of stringing. The only issue i have is the shitty gas system. If the alternative barrel systems i have tried it worked as good as any. I think the christensen is the best i have tested yet, but i had to chamfer the edge of the chamber to get it to feed 140+ bullets.the barrels i have tested so far rank as follows
1 christensen- good accuracy and reliable after fixing the chamber
2 dracos- accuracy the same as christensen, but i dont like the gas system as it is a pickle to tune.
3 bsf- accuracy was good, but was stringing after 5 rounds
4 proof- best accuracy was around 1 moa and started to string a 10 rounds, but ran well and fed reliably.

These results were on a single barrel only, so i cant say that everything each of these companies do will mirror this. I did speak with each company a few times, and had no issue with their cs reps. If weight is not an issue i think traditional steel barrels are more likley to get good results. Check padoms threads.