• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a insurance policy on there firearms?

wyosniper

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
WYOMING
I am thinking about putting some kind of insurance on my firearms, i called state farm who i had and they wanted like 1000 a month for full coverage on them. I am like what the hell, man, i could buy a huge ass safe for that. But seriously does anyone have anything that is reasonable cost for protection against theft, fire, and whatever else? It doesnt take long in rifles, scopes, mags, supplies to add up to nice amount, just wanna see what you guys have., thanks god bless our NRA!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone have a insurance policy on there firearms?

Have you looked into scheduling them under your home owners insurance? That's what I do. The cost will be dependent on the value of the items you schedule. Certainly not a grand/month. At least not for me.

yes mine is state farm runs with homeowners covers up to $10000. have used it once when house was burgularized its not expensive at all. If it was wife would never go for it.

I have renters insurance no homeowners.

same here...I have state farm and its under my homeowners policy. No where near that for the coverage.

Buy a good safe. You will be glad you did. No one can pack it away, and it won't burn up. Worth the investment.

You should be able to get a rider on your renters or home owners insurance to cover additional high value items.

It's always a good idea to shop around for insurance. You would be surprised at the price differences even between large insurance companies.

Farmers would not cover mine, I could get a ryder on the policy but 10k was the max. That does not even cover my M4.
I have invested in 2 very good safes and I still want an insurance policy myself.

I know ya'll are going to think I'm crazy but try Llyod's of London. I started insuring my custom Harley's that I built through them. They will let you set the dollar amount as to what you value the items at. Then during the 94 AWB fiasco I started insuring my firearms collection through them as well.Hell if they will insure tankers and freighters running up and down the Indian Ocean and around the Horn of Africa they will insure what ever you want. Their rates aren't bad either. FIRST AND FOREMOST, BUY A QUALITY SAFE!!! They are the best 1-2,000.00 you will spend. With todays market if you loose just 1 AR the safe would have paid for itself. I don't know about other regions in America but the lowlife SOB's are already targeting known gun owners for rip-offs. Look at safes like you would firearms: a good one isn't going to be cheap and a cheap one isn't going to be a good one.

Homeowners, with a max limit.

Believe this or not, your choice, but such limits are a reasonably good yardstick regarding how many, how much, freedom is enough.

When you have to start weighing what will and will not be covered by folks who make their livings insuring such things, you begin to get some feeling for what counts and what doesn't. When you consciously compare what you want to acquire against what you can reasonably afford to cull from you treasured stable; that's when you arrive at your own comfortable quantum of affordable freedom.

Greg

my guns are covered under my home owners insurance. I logged the serials , lock em up , and HIDE them (cant steal what you cant find) to help keep then out of the hands of criminals.

I have a rider with USAA also for my guns. Not comfortable with them wanting all the info they do to insure them....

I have Traveler's homeowners insurance ad wanted to tack on my rifles as an additional schedule. If memory serves, their homeowners policy only covers something like $500 of firearms and accessories (the guy on the phone said it included scopes). I logged all the serial numbers and when they told me the price as well as what was covered, I went to the NRA website to see what they offered. Long story short, I got the same coverage for half the price! The company was Arms Care Plus Insurance.

SCI is the insurance I carry. I could not get my home owners insurance to go high enough. Also through my home owners it was much higher.

I have USAA that covers my photography gear, optics, firearms and some other valuables.

Usaa for me also. For guns and jewelry you have to have a floater or a rider other wise the coverage thru your homeowners or renters insurance won't cover much more than a Lorcin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about putting some kind of insurance on my firearms, i called state farm who i had and they wanted like 1000 a month for full coverage on them. I am like what the hell, man, i could buy a huge ass safe for that. But seriously does anyone have anything that is reasonable cost for protection against theft, fire, and whatever else? It doesnt take long in rifles, scopes, mags, supplies to add up to nice amount, just wanna see what you guys have., thanks god bless our NRA!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

I am a Statefarm Agent. I would be curious to know how much coverage you asked for? Let me know I might can help. I can't write in your state but I may be able to get the correct info to you. In KY 1000 monthly would buy 600000 in coverage with a zero deductible. You may have 600000 in guns. I'm not saying you don't. May be a little different where you live but I wouldn't think a great deal. Personal article policies are priced per 100 of coverage in ky. Might be different where you live. Insurance laws vary state to state somewhat no matter the company. I don't want to get in your business but, I'd be glad to help if you need it.
T
T

Todd,
What's State Farms policy as far as scheduling/$ amounts.

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Traveler's homeowners insurance ad wanted to tack on my rifles as an additional schedule. If memory serves, their homeowners policy only covers something like $500 of firearms and accessories (the guy on the phone said it included scopes). I logged all the serial numbers and when they told me the price as well as what was covered, I went to the NRA website to see what they offered. Long story short, I got the same coverage for half the price! The company was Arms Care Plus Insurance. </div></div>

travelers is in the top 2 shittiest insurance companies to deal with. I owned a disaster cleanup company and do cleanup work in homes and as such deal with insurance companies every day. they will try to weasel and duck and dodge coverage anyway they can. them and safeco are at the top. you can ignore my advice if you wish but when it comes time to pay the experience will not be as good as it should be.

lots of state farm comments, from what I hear the auto insurance side is great, but the home owners isn't that great. I recently watched a state farm adjuster go into a home and within 30 seconds and after looking at one area tell the insured they were not covered, ummmm WHAT A HOLE WOULD TELL A CUSTOMER THEY JUST GOT STUCK FOR 20 GRAND IN DAMAGE LIKE THAT?!?!? most adjusters would look around, look in all the rooms, walk outside. you know gather information. I tell everyone and I cannot say this more emphatically <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FINDING A WAY TO COVER SOMETHING VS FINDING A WAY NOT TO.</span></span>

I recommend the smaller more regional insurance companies, they don't have some guy who runs the company 2k miles away in a glass office telling everyone how the claims department will be ran. of the larger companies I recommend Chubb and American family, stay away from farmers, state farm and Allstate, especially travelers and safeco.

You will find that Statefarm does it exactly by the book when it comes to paying a claim. No more no less. Every company owes it to the rest of their policy holders to do it this way. When a company pays a claim that isn't covered or doesn't treat everyone exactly the same then the other policy holders could suffer in the form of premiums. We would hope this doesn't vary from claim rep to claim rep but they too are human and sometimes interpret things differently. I have been doing this for 8 years now and would not for any amount of money work for any other company. The fairness and compassion that we usually bring to the claim in my experience has been very fair and kind. But, sometimes things are not covered in the policy. When that happens it is unfortunate. I could only tell you the rate per 100 in ky. I would not know the rate in another state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will find that Statefarm does it exactly by the book when it comes to paying a claim. No more no less. Every company owes it to the rest of their policy holders to do it this way. When a company pays a claim that isn't covered or doesn't treat everyone exactly the same then the other policy holders could suffer in the form of premiums. We would hope this doesn't vary from claim rep to claim rep but they too are human and sometimes interpret things differently. I have been doing this for 8 years now and would not for any amount of money work for any other company. The fairness and compassion that we usually bring to the claim in my experience has been very fair and kind. But, sometimes things are not covered in the policy. When that happens it is unfortunate. I could only tell you the rate per 100 in ky. I would not know the rate in another state. </div></div>

I am not saying that all things are covered nor should they be, however I expect all info to be gathered carefully examined and if there can be a way its covered then it should be. this is very different from finding ways to not cover things. as you know coverage is a very complicated issue and can hinge on one word in the policy or one way the damage may have happened. determining coverage is very much NOT a black and white issue. it is subjective in many not all cases. in every case I can think of, having a smaller more regional insurance company means a greater likelyhood of finding a way to cover it.

lets look at it like this, my own policy covers me for $2500 in firearms, is attached optics part of this or not, not sure. what if giant company one considers it part of the gun and small company 2 considers it separate and thus doesn't apply optics to the cap?? with a smaller company the adjusters are much more flexible in how these things are handled.

my own company will cover more for guns but I have to have them appraised. which I haven't done yet. I actually would be the best person to appraise them but I suppose naturally I am not allowed to do that. this is against theft only. if I had a fire or water damage then the guns are considered contents and thus no cap applies. I suspect other insurance policies are similar.

I have a personal articles policy through State Farm as well. They even covered my Eberlestock pack. No appraisal required and it covers loss, theft, and damage for full replacement.

This is indeed good discusion and I agree that interpretation of the perel itself could be different from rep to rep. In the end it is a trust issue. Usually with the person you hand your money to.

I have state farm also. Didnt cost to much to insure for 10,000. I spend more in a month on reloading supplies, then the extra insurance cost. I have guns that were my fathers ans some of them were his fathers. That stuff cant be replaced.

I have my policy through Inland Marine. 7.50$ per 1000 of coverage. Covers all of my weapons, for what I asked them to be covered for (most have some level of customization) and accessories. (bases, glass, rings, etc). On my cans I included the cost of the stamp. They will not cover full auto (go figure).

Just paid for the year, $120 for 35k of coverage. Guns are covered when I travel with them as well as at home. Items under 15 or 20k don't need to be appraised.

Eastern Insurance Group , LLC The Historic Firearms and Collectibles Insurance Program 933 Webster Street, Marshfield, MA 02050 P - 800.545.9326

I found my homeowners wouldn't cover 'sporting arms' if I owned any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a personal articles policy through State Farm as well. They even covered my Eberlestock pack. No appraisal required and it covers loss, theft, and damage for full replacement. </div></div>

I have this also through State Farm. They list the firearms under sporting goods on my policy.