• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a Ruger American Predator 223

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Wanting a 223 bolt gun on the cheaper side. I’ve had very good accuracy from RAP 308 and 6.5’s.

just curious what velocity people are getting from this rifle

I have one for my daughter (although I have been using it a lot lately). I am getting 2723 fps with PPU match .223 75gr. Cant' seem to find my data from the other 5.56 rounds I tested. It used to be in Strelok but I upgraded to Strelock Pro and didn't transfer it over. The PPU .223 match 75 gr. shoots very well in my RAP.

I have one for my daughter (although I have been using it a lot lately). I am getting 2723 fps with PPU match .223 75gr. Cant' seem to find my data from the other 5.56 rounds I tested. It used to be in Strelok but I upgraded to Strelock Pro and didn't transfer it over. The PPU .223 match 75 gr. shoots very well in my RAP.

DO you have the one that takes AR mags? I was wondering about the heavies. I have some 73's on the shelf.

Tried to load the 77 TMK in my AR and they're just too long for mag length. Maybe due to varget? They kept compressing at deforming the bullet.

No. I have the one that came with the rotary mags. I have magpul hunters on my Ruger predator .243 and 6.5CM and now that magpul finally got off their ass and are making a .223 AI polymer mag I may have to look a putting my .223 into a Magpul hunter or KRG bravo

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    No. I have the one that came with the rotary mags. I have magpul hunters on my Ruger predator .243 and 6.5CM and now that magpul finally got off their ass and are making a .223 AI polymer mag I may have to look a putting my .223 into a Magpul hunter or KRG bravo
    Did magpul announce that at shot? I don’t see anything about those mags

Did magpul announce that at shot? I don’t see anything about those mags
    Plenty of threads already too https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/bolt-action/pmag105-56ac.html
    1580480808347.png

The Mossberg MVP 223 Predator uses AR mags very effectively.

I've never tried loads heavier than the Fed Fusion MSR 62gr load, but have successfully used 75gr loads in 24" 1:9" barrels. The MVP Predator 223 has a 1:9" 18.5" barrel.

I love my MVP predator 223, and the Fed Fusion 62gr MSR 223 load is a good Deer capable companion. I am currently in the process of trying to duplicate this load with Speer Gold Dot 62gr bullets, beginning with M855 and a simple straight bullet swap.

Once that's done, I'll be trying loads with the 75gr Gold Dots.

The 75gr Gold Dot is noticeably shorter than the HDY HPBT-Match I've been loading to date. The 75gr Gold Dot has a BC of .411, and a COAL of 2.230" per load data.

Speer 24" barrel load data 75gr Gold Dot/223.

The entire MVP line, including other chamberings.

Greg

Last edited:
    That’s ugly but awesome! I’m assuming since it fits in the AI bottom metal, you’ll be able to seat bullets longer than a standard AR mag. This is tempting me hard now.
    Longer than an 2.260 ar mag, sure. But the 2.390" that the magpul allows falls short of a good aics mag at 2.550".
    My 75eld handloads wouldnt fit in the magpul aics.

Longer than an 2.260 ar mag, sure. But the 2.390" that the magpul allows falls short of a good aics mag at 2.550".
    My 75eld handloads wouldnt fit in the magpul aics.
    I guess I could just get the ruger 223, put it in a magpul stock or chassis and get mdt 223 mags

I guess I could just get the ruger 223, put it in a magpul stock or chassis and get mdt 223 mags
    The magwell in a ruger magpul stock is cut weird and other 223 mags dont work, which is what I guess this new mag is supposed to help but magpul hasnt actually come out and said so- the pic above is the only real reference to the ruger/magpul aics relationship so I just have to assume that they will cooperate.

The feedlips of all the other aics mags (even the extended lip accurate mags that make the american 223 work in all other aics bottom metal) end too early before the bullet starts into the chamber so the cartridge can just flop around freely in the action causing it to hit the barrel breech face.

With Varget I’m running 73 Eld-m at 2900fps out of my RAP 223. But I’m crushing Varget really badly, averaging around 0.007” extreme spread in seating depth changes

Mine was originally the AR mag version. I ran C-Products 10 round metal mags so I could load out to 2.295” and still mag feed.

If you wanted, you could get one that uses AR mags, but then swap out the factory stocks AR magazine “bottom metal” for the factory stock AICS magazine “bottom metal”...It’s $30 for the parts straight from Ruger

As Spife mentioned, running 223 in the Hunter stock with the American rifles has been pretty much “impossible” for probably 98% of users. Some guys do get it to work...but again, as Spife mentioned, this is almost certainly why Magpul is now making their own 223 AICS magazine, trying to rectify a problem that they created.

I’ll also add, the 223 version that uses AR15 magazines will have a slightly “sloppier” running of the bolt than the versions that used rotary magazines. It is a noticeable difference, and I’m pretty sure the AR mag version is sloppier because of all the material they removed from the bolt body in order for it to work with AR mags

With Varget I’m running 73 Eld-m at 2900fps out of my RAP 223. But I’m crushing Varget really badly, averaging around 0.007” extreme spread in seating depth changes

Mine was originally the AR mag version. I ran C-Products 10 round metal mags so I could load out to 2.295” and still mag feed.

If you wanted, you could get one that uses AR mags, but then swap out the factory stocks AR magazine “bottom metal” for the factory stock AICS magazine “bottom metal”...It’s $30 for the parts straight from Ruger

As Spife mentioned, running 223 in the Hunter stock with the American rifles has been pretty much “impossible” for probably 98% of users. Some guys do get it to work...but again, as Spife mentioned, this is almost certainly why Magpul is now making their own 223 AICS magazine, trying to rectify a problem that they created.

I’ll also add, the 223 version that uses AR15 magazines will have a slightly “sloppier” running of the bolt than the versions that used rotary magazines. It is a noticeable difference, and I’m pretty sure the AR mag version is sloppier because of all the material they removed from the bolt body in order for it to work with AR mags
    Have you swapped out the bottom? Wonder how that bolt would feed with the aics mag

Have you swapped out the bottom? Wonder how that bolt would feed with the aics mag

I didn’t swap out the bottom on the factory stock, no. I went straight into the Indian Creek Design MoFo chassis made in Idaho. They produce both an AICS magazine and an AR15 magazine chassis. I went the AICS magazine route so I could still magazine feed the longer/heavier bullets

The rifle feeds just fine from AICS magazines. But like I said, the bolts that are heavily milled for AR15 magazines tend to be alittle sloppier in the receiver

My father is wanting to put the Magpul hunter on his RAP. Do the available .223 AI pattern mags work with this combo? I see a lot of conflicting answers on here in other threads.

EDIT: His is the rotary magazine design I believe. Its NOT the factory AR mag one.

My father is wanting to put the Magpul hunter on his RAP. Do the available .223 AI pattern mags work with this combo? I see a lot of conflicting answers on here in other threads.

EDIT: His is the rotary magazine design I believe. Its NOT the factory AR mag one.

@spife7980

I think spife has knowledge on this very topic

ETA:
    I just noticed he has posted on this thread before so he will probably chime in regardless of me paging him lol

Nope, that guy somewhere else tried it in a magpul hunter and failed after I said I expect it to work. Apparently they have a different magwell dimensions than all the other aics options.

@spife7980

I think spife has knowledge on this very topic

ETA:
    I just noticed he has posted on this thread before so he will probably chime in regardless of me paging him lol
    yeah I have seen his posts above and I saw him mention it in another thread. He hasnt seemed to have turn key luck but for every post hes made stating his process there is 3 other guys saying it works but not other useful info lol.

My father wont be tuning magazines or looking for speciality mags. So Im trying to convince him to just leave it be and enjoy it until magpul gets their mags released and easier to find.

Best answer is No, not currently. Once the 223 Magpul AICS magazines hit the shelves then in THEORY, it should work. But I wouldn’t hold your breath over it until other folks try it.

The other thing to keep in mind EVEN WITH the Magpul 223 AICS magazines is that it is VERY likely your father, or you, would have to sand polymer off the Outside of the magazine body(feed lips/upper portion of the mag body) in order for the magazine body to not contact the magazine opening on the bottom of the action.

The new RAP 223’s that use AR mags have a much bigger relief cut in the bottom of the action for magazine clearance in comparison to the earlier versions of the rifle that use Rotary magazines.