• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any 250 Savage brass?

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
A buddy has an OLD custom gun that he got from his grandfather, had no idea what caliber, we cerrosafed the chamber and believe it is a 250 Savage. Id like to try to get some brass for it and load some dummy rounds up to make sure we were right. If anyone has any brass PM me Ill buy some off you. Thanks.

Re: Anyone have any 250 Savage brass?

You can just run 22-250 brass through a 250 die with a taperd expanding die. I do it all the time.
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can just run 22-250 brass through a 250 die with a taperd expanding die. I do it all the time.
RTH </div></div>

Exactly the route I take for a friend. Good call

The 250 Savage was the parent cartrige for the wildcatted and later standardized 250 case necked down to .22 - Standardized by Winchester, hence the name 22-250 Winchester.

So by necking up the 22-250, which should work just fine as others have posted, you then will have the ellusive
22-250/250, or is it the 25/22-250. I'm getting confused, I'll just go get another beer.

Paul

Do I need a dedicated expander die, or are there full length 250sav dies that will expand it all in one shot? Any heating required?

All you will need in addition to the FL sizer die is a tapered expander button, most die manufacturers offer them.

I typically lube the inside of the necks with imperial when necking anything up (I use 22-250 brass to make 6mm-250 cases). One pass thru the FL sizer with a tapered expander and you're done.

I wouldn't know how to even begin to apply heat to this operation - don't go there, it isn't needed!

Paul

All I needed to know, I guess it doesnt have to expand all that much. Thanks for the info guys, this operation just got a lot easier than I thought it was going to be! Any suggestions for bullets and powder?

About the bullets and powder. You will be best off if your friends rifle has a 10 twist barrel. What type is it? If 10 twist, I would suggest any good 100 grain bullet. IMR 4064 powder, but many will work. Check charges in manuals of course. The case is very forgiving of powders, charges and won many matches prior to the 22-250 coming along. Which won many prior to the 222 Rem coming along, which won many prior to the PPC coming.....
If you will tell me the vintage and make of rifle, I can likely tell you the twist rate, otherwise you will need to use a rod and patch to check. Most of the old ones are 1-14 and will do best with bullets of 87 grains.
Sorry, I see, old custom, you will need to check. If set up as a varmint rifle, I am guessing 14. If a sporter, I would guess 10. What action is it?
RTH