• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone here ever been to everest base camp nepal etc etc.

B

boomer81

im starting planning on a trip for 2019 to everest base camp its a two week hike. anyone have any first hand experience of what to expect in that part of the world etc.

Not personally but from what Ive seeen you might want to go elsewhere.[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.dailymail.co.uk\/i\/pix\/2014\/03\/04\/article-2572675-19ED9843000005DC-97_634x422.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Conga-Line-2012-1.jpeg

yeah i know about that. not cool but i want to see everest. and im up for the challenge

yeah i know about that. not cool but i want to see everest. and im up for the challenge

Have fun. Wish I had done it when younger. The old bonz wont take the cold now...fuck I can barely leave the stove here. Id be frozen meat in a day.

High price. Know a local dr who did the whole climb to the top and was in it for $100k. Permits and shit are crazy, who would have thought you need a permit to walk. Not sure what is needed for just the base camp journey, just a heads up that it may be $$$ and touristy. What is the goal? There is a plethora of mountains you would be able to climb to the top with similar difficulty as getting to Everest. Don't just do it because everyone else does it.

As someone whose Cardiopulmonary (lack of) health has me o/o breath at 8000ft, the two week hike is supposed to acclimate one to the thinner air, and mostly works for most (normal) people.

Headaches. bad and probably never going away before you're done way up there. Any health issues you have down below are most likely not going to get any better by going higher.

Food will be like going on a months long backpacking trip, except your senses of taste and smell will be severely curtailed. Water boils at too low a temperature to allow food to cook as fast or as well.

Be prepared for the onset of altitude sickness at any time, even weeks into the experience. Once it's got you, you're done; and the odds of being able to complete the experience as planned are not especially favorable. Getting back down ASAP is pretty important, and a two week hike back down may not be good enough. Going faster cost money, and nothing up there comes cheap.

Josh Gates has been there, and it wasn't especially kind to him.

Greg

The entire system is set up for the expressed purpose of separating lowlanders from their money.

High price. Know a local dr who did the whole climb to the top and was in it for $100k. Permits and shit are crazy, who would have thought you need a permit to walk. Not sure what is needed for just the base camp journey, just a heads up that it may be $$$ and touristy. What is the goal? There is a plethora of mountains you would be able to climb to the top with similar difficulty as getting to Everest. Don't just do it because everyone else does it.

It is probably like our national parks. YOu can go look around for a few days but for extended stays and to go to some locations you need a permit.

As someone whose Cardiopulmonary (lack of) health has me o/o breath at 8000ft, the two week hike is supposed to acclimate one to the thinner air, and mostly works for most (normal) people.

Headaches. bad and probably never going away before you're done way up there. Any health issues you have down below are most likely not going to get any better by going higher.

Food will be like going on a months long backpacking trip, except your senses of taste and smell will be severely curtailed. Water boils at too low a temperature to allow food to cook as fast or as well.

Be prepared for the onset of altitude sickness at any time, even weeks into the experience. Once it's got you, you're done; and the odds of being able to complete the experience as planned are not especially favorable. Getting back down ASAP is pretty important, and a two week hike back down may not be good enough. Going faster cost money, and nothing up there comes cheap.

Josh Gates has been there, and it wasn't especially kind to him.

Greg

The entire system is set up for the expressed purpose of separating lowlanders from their money.

Considering how most of those folks live it seems quite reasonable for them to want to seperate anyone who can afford that much from all they can get. I would. Its that wonderful thing called capitalism.

I wish you well. Im getting a shade old for such adventures, but always wanted to give it a go. Cold doesn’t bother me until parts start falling off. The altitude can be a bitch. Get/stay in shape and give it a go.

Make sure you've done all the pre-contracting before you go.. Use a big name climbing
booking service there can be surprises (I used REI to figure out the preliminary cost...)..
I was invited to base camp 10 years ago, my out of pocket was going to be north of 10 grand +
A 1 million dollar rescue bond which you forfeit if you sneeze too hard..

Good luck and report back! I pulled the plug and didn't do it,,
just had too many other things on the bucket list..

this is not a climb im well aware it cost $100k to climb etc. this is a hike in to the base of the mountain. you can do 7 days or 14 and fly out. were talking just a few grand. there are some intermediate parts of the trail. and it is no part supposed to be easy. but this and a climb to the top are two total different things.

Not personally but from what Ive seeen you might want to go elsewhere.[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.dailymail.co.uk\/i\/pix\/2014\/03\/04\/article-2572675-19ED9843000005DC-97_634x422.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Conga-Line-2012-1.jpeg

Imagine the shit they will come up with when they find that in a glacier in 100,000 years.