• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here own a surplus HMMWV?

Battery cut-offs are fine. Just don't put an ignition key on it.

Yeah... I bought mine as a mobile gun mount. Replaced the Mutt. Both are cheaper than tripods these days. And worth less than the guns!

View attachment 7862130

Sold this guy to buy the HMMWV. The Mutt was always fun. And cute. But the HMMWV is just 'in your face.'

As it should be.

Sirhr

This is what I want, I would love a Mutt.

This is what I want, I would love a Mutt.
Mutts are still surprisingly affordable. While all the WW2 and Korea Jeeps have gone insane... Mutts are surprisingly easy to buy. $10K buys a REALLY nice one. Many have been 'cut' so beware what's been welded together. And how well. Also watch out for former TOW missile vehicles. The rear suspension cambers on them are NOT suited to driving without a 900 lb TOW and gunner in the back. These are the vehicles that flip!

Again, try and avoid the USMC ones. The Air Force ones are the best. Unfortunately, those that didn't get chopped up mainly were given to Saudi and Israel and PI and lots of other places around the Gulf War. Israel did a wicked nice "Pink Panther" desert raider out of them.

Parts are super easy to get. Tons in the PI... Be years before they're used up. Though some things (Fuel pumps) are getting very difficult. Though these are rebuildable, like most things on a Mutt.

G503 has a great Mutt community. Same applies with their expertise and their PX. Good place to shop!!

Go for it!

Sirhr

Had one and hated it. Sold it, bought a couple of LJ rubicons and dropped 5.3L V8s in them and love them. Fast, great on and offroad, and same gas mileage as the 4.0L.

For a kill switch this is what you seek.

Reactions: kthomas
I looked into buying one several years ago and this was what I determined. If you stumble on a good one it will last longer than you will, but otherwise, it will be a money pit.

I can tell you they come in all flavors, from totally clapped out, to brand new. All I can offer is check them over real well. Nothing is inexpensive on them, and lots of stuff is hard to find. You will not find much at your local parts store.

Just use a Battery Disconnect Switch and be done. This can be hidden or locked behind another panel.
Easily defeated with simple jumper cables......or just bridge across the switch with something robust enough to handle the amps......like a pair of visegrips.

Easily defeated with simple jumper cables......or just bridge across the switch with something robust enough to handle the amps......like a pair of visegrips.
Only if you can get to the back side of it, making that difficult would be fairly easy. Of course you can jump from the battery directly to the starter too if you have time and access. What we are talking about in this thread is keeping someone from jumping in the drivers seat hitting the go switch and driving it away. If they are determined to steal it there is not much stopping them, a wrecker comes to mind as very fast and easy.

Reactions: Jscb1b

Give someone enough time and they'll steal anything.

Give them 2 minutes in a parking lot and they'll walk away before they draw attention.

Yup, I have one. Love it!

A few tips... first, not being a daily driver is good.

They are a hoot. But you better do your own 'wrenching. You aren't going to find someone to work on it. Period.

They are slow. But who cares. You;re having fun.

Forget GOV. Planet. Buy one from the sucker who BOUGHT one from Gov Planet. Then put thousands into getting it roadworthy. Then found his Wife didn't like it. It won't fit in his suburban garage. Noone wants to work on it. Etc. etc. etc. Buy from the guy who has ALREADY invested in it. I got mine 18 months ago basically running great for $11.5K. That barely buys you a hulk on Gov. Planet. It was a father/son project. They had a blast with it. Son went to college. Dad sold HMMWV. Perfect way to buy one.

If you can find National Guard units (look for the tail numbers), they are way better than ex-Marine ones. (Noone lets the Marines have nice things. Do not buy a USMC Hmmwv.). Second best are the ex-Air Force ones. They never left Tarmac. I think they waxed them.

Problem areas? some have block cracking problems around back cylinders. Natron boxes (the computers) suck. And are $1,000. Glow plugs and injectors often need replacing. Easy to do. But a few hundred dollars in parts. Injector pumps plug up. Easy to fix. But lots of fiddly parts and lose a spring and good luck.

They are noisy. Inside they are like being in a steel drum full of angry wolverines rolling through a gravel pit into a Korean livestock auction. I wear headphones.

Do NOT replace the starter with a key unit. The key unit won't work with the 24V system to transmit enough power and you'll burn out your starter or Natron box. That gets spendy. Carry a lock. Or a 1911 and don't leave it alone in a parking lot. Anyway, secure it some 'other' way than putting in a key conversion.

Keep up on lube services. Geared hubs won't go 5 miles if dry. When you get it... it will be dry. Don't 'just drive home' and think you can get away with it. Unless you know the hubs, etc. are lubed... then have it flat bedded until you can do service.

Last, join G503.com There is a great HMMWV area there. And real experts. Join there before you buy. You may even find good deals in their PX.

They are a total blast! I highly-recommend one. I annoy bicycles and love idling outside the organic foods place. AND I get to park in all the places reserved for "Green Vehicles." (Fuck you, manbun, it's green. Now go suck a dick -- actual quote.)

Oh and they are really fun if you happen to own a SAW or an M2 or both.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
View attachment 7862089

View attachment 7862090

View attachment 7862091

This is probably a dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway because I know nothing about HMMWV’s. I overheard these guys talking the other day in a check out line that if there were an EMP strike that his HMMWV would still start up and be drive-able because they don’t have use microchips like newer vehicles do.

The other guy something about having an old late 50’s Ford truck and it would still run as well.

Any truth to those statements?

This is probably a dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway because I know nothing about HMMWV’s. I overheard these guys talking the other day in a check out line that if there were an EMP strike that his HMMWV would still start up and be drive-able because they don’t have use microchips like newer vehicles do.

The other guy something about having an old late 50’s Ford truck and it would still run as well.

The HMMWV's are supposed to be shielded. But the Nartron (sp?) boxes are also about as reliable as a Chinese Sooper Sniper scope... So I'm not holding my breath. But 'supposedly' they are shielded.

1950's and non-electronic-ignition vehicles are EMP-proof. Though it is possible to fry coils and condensers, those are pretty rugged and reliable. Old Model T's and tractors with Trembler Coils... and cars with Magnetos... I think you could drop a nuke ON them and they'd survive.

But if you want to survive EMP... or nuke strike. An old Jeep and an old tractor will keep on going.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The HMMWV's are supposed to be shielded. But the Nartron (sp?) boxes are also about as reliable as a Chinese Sooper Sniper scope... So I'm not holding my breath. But 'supposedly' they are shielded.

1950's and non-electronic-ignition vehicles are EMP-proof. Though it is possible to fry coils and condensers, those are pretty rugged and reliable. Old Model T's and tractors with Trembler Coils... and cars with Magnetos... I think you could drop a nuke ON them and they'd survive.

But if you want to survive EMP... or nuke strike. An old Jeep and an old tractor will keep on going.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks!

I was going to say “no” , but a search came up with YES https://xhp.parts/product/xhp-suspension-kit-for-h1-hummer/
It comes with a "I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor" sticker and a book called "1001 ways to tie up your manbun."

Suspension is fine in them. But you have to keep it lubricated and working right. Also 'ancient' tires have less give.

They are far more comfortable than a 1940's Willys.

Soft ride in a HMMWV... WTF is this world coming to.

Sirhr

Reactions: Thumper580
It comes with a "I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor" sticker and a book called "1001 ways to tie up your manbun."

Suspension is fine in them. But you have to keep it lubricated and working right. Also 'ancient' tires have less give.

They are far more comfortable than a 1940's Willys.

Soft ride in a HMMWV... WTF is this world coming to.

Sirhr
Yeah, but if you’ve ever been in long travel or the newer sport sxs, travel is your friend. Its not just for a soft ride, its wheel travel and better at dampening. It will have better traction.

My 1988 M998. All original and restored. A few more additions are coming like a RT 524 radio.

Attachments

• 20220611_094704.jpg
    20220611_094704.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220625_184732.jpg
    20220625_184732.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220625_184718.jpg
    20220625_184718.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220611_183127.jpg
    20220611_183127.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220611_094716.jpg
    20220611_094716.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220611_094711.jpg
    20220611_094711.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 59
For those talking about a keyed ignition, I would steer away from that and go with a keyed fuel shutoff from Black Dog Customs. Plug and play. I mounted mine on a mounting plate and put it where the fording kit valve goes. This way no extra holes need to be drilled.

Attachments

• 20220611_093210.jpg
    20220611_093210.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 58
Yeah, but if you’ve ever been in long travel or the newer sport sxs, travel is your friend. Its not just for a soft ride, its wheel travel and better at dampening. It will have better traction.
I think you meant "damping." "Dampening" is what happens to your girlfriend when I enter the room.

For those talking about a keyed ignition, I would steer away from that and go with a keyed fuel shutoff from Black Dog Customs. Plug and play. I mounted mine on a mounting plate and put it where the fording kit valve goes. This way no extra holes need to be drilled.
That's what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.
Seems they still think it has some sort of ignition you can wire to an old ignition switch.
I guess old school diesels are a complete mystery to most.

Details on EMP are very difficult to come by, but generally speaking, modern vehicles are far more robust in this regard that most people believe. There already exist a number of rigorous industry standards related to radiated immunity, conducted immunity, and electrostatic discharge. A few ancillary modules - particularly those with antennas - may not survive, but I would expect anything related to primary powertrain and safety to remain operational unless a vehicle was close enough to the blast for the occupants to receive a lethal dose of radiation (in which case the vehicle is probably burnt to a crisp and/or crushed).

Don't fear that an EMP will disable your vehicle. Fear that it will be so disruptive to fuel production and distribution that it'll only run until whatever fuel is in the tank runs dry.

Reactions: Conaso
Very nice. Can you detail what you have done to it?
It started out as a very clean unit. I mostly did minor restoration doing Rapco CARC Substitute paint, new seat pads, lots of clean up, general maintenance. And other minor cosmetic stuff. Here are the before pictures.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing Spindle Nut inspection and maintenance when buying a HMMWV. It is well known of wheels coming off while driving. That is top priority once you buy one.

Attachments

• 20220525_190759.jpg
    20220525_190759.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220525_190803.jpg
    20220525_190803.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220525_190809.jpg
    20220525_190809.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220525_190748.jpg
    20220525_190748.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220525_190734.jpg
    20220525_190734.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220525_190725.jpg
    20220525_190725.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220525_190655.jpg
    20220525_190655.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220525_190704.jpg
    20220525_190704.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220525_190716.jpg
    20220525_190716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
Always wanted one. Id prefer one without a 6.2/6.5 and stuff a cummins into it. Ditch the massive coil springs for coilovers, 3.0 king should suffice, then fabricate arms with better parts. Maybe some day…..
If by cummins you mean Duramax

If by cummins you mean Duramax
Not really, although i wouldn’t say no. But if i were putting a diesel into it, i would 6bt. Duramax being my second choice. I own a 6.5 turbo diesel, with 4.56 rear gears and it still is slow as hell. But it will drive fine with 7k pounds on the bed and not bitch too much. Course, i only drive that real slow…..

Not really, although i wouldn’t say no. But if i were putting a diesel into it, i would 6bt. Duramax being my second choice. I own a 6.5 turbo diesel, with 4.56 rear gears and it still is slow as hell. But it will drive fine with 7k pounds on the bed and not bitch too much. Course, i only drive that real slow…..
Duramax is lighteri think and would think it would mate up easier to the transmission considering it’s got that pos Chevy 65 in there alreadu

Reactions: Jgunner
Duramax is lighteri think and would think it would mate up easier to the transmission considering it’s got that pos Chevy 65 in there alreadu
i would want a allison if backed to a duramax. My buddy had a 6.7 cummins out of a box truck that was mated to a 2000 alllison, that woulda been tough as nails.

It started out as a very clean unit. I mostly did minor restoration doing Rapco CARC Substitute paint, new seat pads, lots of clean up, general maintenance. And other minor cosmetic stuff. Here are the before pictures.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing Spindle Nut inspection and maintenance when buying a HMMWV. It is well known of wheels coming off while driving. That is top priority once you buy one.

That the nicest one I've ever seen.

Reactions: RJTNC
Okay, the wife wants a surplus humvee (not immediately, perhaps a near future project if funds allow).

Curious if any others here own/have owned a surplus HMMWV, and what your experiences are/were.

It would NOT be used for a daily driver - so we are not concerned about the road noise, lack of power, the fact they leak water, comfort, etc. It would be used for the odd local weekend trip in state, lots of areas here in AZ that we like traveling to where an off-road capable vehicle makes sense and would be fun. The novelty of one would be really cool, plus its the wife's dream vehicle. Plus it would make a bitching hunting/shooting/weekend fun vehicle. We are going into it understanding that this is a rugged utilitarian vehicle, that's not comfortable and has a lot of quirks.

GOV Planet auctions off a lot of these, and there's lots of resources available to understand what the buying experience is like. I'm currently doing my initial research. I understand that titling these things to be used for on-road use is a real pain in the ass, though there are companies that can help with that.

We would be looking at models that are soft top with no doors - perfect for what we would use it for here in AZ, and thankfully these are the least desirable models. I hear that going with the 6.5L with overdrive is the way to go, and have started watching videos on what to look for when purchasing one.

However, would love to hear opinions from this community on those that have gone this route, what they like/dislike about their rides and the process, what upgrades they made and what to look for/avoid, and overall general experiences.
Yeah I have one. Bought from a reseller in KY. He titles all of them in KY. When I lived in KS they wouldn't title it for road use. But now I live in MO and its titled and plated for road use. Yeah they are loud as hell, slow, but fortunately I found a local guy who was a mechanic in Iraq and AFG. for the army. So I dont wrench it but he does and his rates make me happy. If you need info regarding where I got it LMK via messaging here. I like it a lot. Its fun to drive and never fails to draw a crowd. Just wish they had been made for fat old men to climb in and out of!

Reactions: kthomas
Yup, I have one. Love it!

A few tips... first, not being a daily driver is good.

They are a hoot. But you better do your own 'wrenching. You aren't going to find someone to work on it. Period.

They are slow. But who cares. You;re having fun.

Forget GOV. Planet. Buy one from the sucker who BOUGHT one from Gov Planet. Then put thousands into getting it roadworthy. Then found his Wife didn't like it. It won't fit in his suburban garage. Noone wants to work on it. Etc. etc. etc. Buy from the guy who has ALREADY invested in it. I got mine 18 months ago basically running great for $11.5K. That barely buys you a hulk on Gov. Planet. It was a father/son project. They had a blast with it. Son went to college. Dad sold HMMWV. Perfect way to buy one.

If you can find National Guard units (look for the tail numbers), they are way better than ex-Marine ones. (Noone lets the Marines have nice things. Do not buy a USMC Hmmwv.). Second best are the ex-Air Force ones. They never left Tarmac. I think they waxed them.

Problem areas? some have block cracking problems around back cylinders. Natron boxes (the computers) suck. And are $1,000. Glow plugs and injectors often need replacing. Easy to do. But a few hundred dollars in parts. Injector pumps plug up. Easy to fix. But lots of fiddly parts and lose a spring and good luck.

They are noisy. Inside they are like being in a steel drum full of angry wolverines rolling through a gravel pit into a Korean livestock auction. I wear headphones.

Do NOT replace the starter with a key unit. The key unit won't work with the 24V system to transmit enough power and you'll burn out your starter or Natron box. That gets spendy. Carry a lock. Or a 1911 and don't leave it alone in a parking lot. Anyway, secure it some 'other' way than putting in a key conversion.

Keep up on lube services. Geared hubs won't go 5 miles if dry. When you get it... it will be dry. Don't 'just drive home' and think you can get away with it. Unless you know the hubs, etc. are lubed... then have it flat bedded until you can do service.

Last, join G503.com There is a great HMMWV area there. And real experts. Join there before you buy. You may even find good deals in their PX.

They are a total blast! I highly-recommend one. I annoy bicycles and love idling outside the organic foods place. AND I get to park in all the places reserved for "Green Vehicles." (Fuck you, manbun, it's green. Now go suck a dick -- actual quote.)

Oh and they are really fun if you happen to own a SAW or an M2 or both.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
View attachment 7862089

View attachment 7862090

View attachment 7862091
Damn sir you have amazing gear

Hows the SAW holding up? Hear theyre quite maintenance intensive..?