• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here serve on a submarine?

atepointer

sub-amateur paint chipper
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    So with this insane downtime I have polished off every last book on my to do list. As I perused my bookcase of old favs I saw 'Blind Man's Bluff' which was truly one of the fav books ever. The secrecy and outright huge nuts those guys had in the Cold War wow. Any other titles about submarine tech/war etc I might like? I read Blind Man's Bluff from cover to cover non-stop starting in Newark airport and would love to find another one like that....thanks.

Not a submariner but wrote my senior thesis on U boats (warfare, life aboard, and structural design) at college. I'll look through the research books and works cited I still have for some titles if you'd like.

Not a submariner but wrote my senior thesis on U boats (warfare, life aboard, and structural design) at college. I'll look through the research books and works cited I still have for some titles if you'd like.
    Thank you that would be great!

You looking for fiction or non-fiction recommendations?
    Fiction reading isn't really my fav, but I can indulge on occasion feel free to suggest whatever.....I've got plenty of time! Thanks

Took the tour on former USS Growler in NYC , I'm 6'1" not that tall and it was like being in a soup can to me. Couldn't believe how tight everything was and thinking how small of a space it would be with a full crew on it. Its amazing how they navigate the oceans with just relaying on instruments , I rather have a window to look out at like in a pool wearing goggles.

Reactions: Maggot
    Iron Coffins ...you don’t need anything else.

Great uncle was SS211, his brother was on a surface ship.
    One I had the pleasure of knowing, one I never got that opportunity, Still on eternal patrol.
    I did get to"tour a boat" like his in SC.
    I think it's about like living inside a diesel motor? With batteries.
    WW2 vintage.

If you can find "Water Baby" by Victoria Karl, it's pretty good. All about Alvin (DSV-2) and the early Deep Submergence Program. A history that pretty much goes untold.

Take a look at books by Michael DiMercurio. He is a submariner and has a very good sub based series. He was recommended to me by a retired submariner.

If I were a Submarine Commender I would hook up with the supply guy to get a few extra torpedoes off the books so during a tour I could remove a few enemies undetected.

I am not sure what gen you are....and I don't love as much of his (Tom Clancy) stuff past about mid 90s, but you have read Hunt for Red October, right?

ZY

Last edited:
    Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II

Reactions: charnicus
    My uncle served 12 combat tours in the Pacific during WWII. He enlisted in the Navy in 1939 into submarines. He was at sea when Pearl Harbor was attacked and off Japan when the war ended. While serving on a training sub at Groton, some retard officers submerged the boat with a hatch opened and nearly killed everyone on board. He was pissed, he called my Dad who owned a sweater mill at the time and asked if he could have a job if he resigned. My Dad said yes.

So he got in the textile business, my Dad made him a full partner and they ran a company together for the next 35 years. He was a great machinist and mechanic.

Reactions: Zeroit
    I am not sure what gen you are....and I don't love as much of his (Tom Clancy) stuff past about mid 90s, but you have read Hunt for Red October, right?

ZY

^^^^This. It's different than the movie and really good. SSN is really good too.

Subs are favorite, they had open center dot reticles before anyone, saved on my DVR right now,

Run Silent Run Deep
    Periscope Up
    Torpedo Run
    Destination Tokyo
    Operation Pacific

Grabbed this off the TV to show the reticle recently,

IMG_0136.jpg

Mils even in subs it's mils

ZY
    Loved movie and book I had a Clancy phase about 20 years ago and ate them up! Great stuff thanks for everyone chiming in lots of targets now.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
    Loved movie and book I had a Clancy phase about 20 years ago and ate them up! Great stuff thanks for everyone chiming in lots of targets now.

There are not many instances where the movie and the book are both really good. Red October is definitely one. Jurassic Park and The Shining also come to mind. The movie Jaws was actually much better then the book IMO.

There are not many instances where the movie and the book are both really good. Red October is definitely one. Jurassic Park and The Shining also come to mind. The movie Jaws was actually much better then the book IMO.
    Yea the books tend to outdo the movies from my perspective Hollywood is so bad at telling stories any longer. I'm also one of those hangers-on who likes paper books and doesn't own an e-reader. Oh well I'm a dying dinosaur!

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    OK… Not a book recommendation, just something funny that one of my cousins told me recently related to submarines...

I’m a first generation American, The entire family is from Germany.

The other day my cousin called me up from South Carolina, where the bulk of the family lives, and asked me what we need to be concerned about related to the coronavirus. The man I named after is in his 80s and he’s getting frail but he refuses to give up doing his normal every day trips to Home Depot for his real estate empire...

My cousin tells me that my uncle gets a veterans discount at Home Depot and Lowe’s.

“He was in the US Military?,” I say?

“No, he was in the German Navy in the U-Boat service...”

”Holy shit, really? ...and they’re giving him a veterans discount!!”

Apparently he told them that he was in the German Navy, and the submarine service… And they both thanked him for his service and give him a discount!!

You got a love America!

(He is a US Citizen, for about 55 years... starting working at a company literally sweeping the floors and retired as the CEO.)