• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Anyone hunt coyotes with FFP?

“Holding over lame”
Wait until I tell Carlos... ?
Yeah, he lost me there too.
I know there’s no way to accurately and range and dial if you’ve got movers on a double or a triple at say 400ish, 320ish and 175ish...

I guess western desert calling is it’s own game.

Yeah, he lost me there too.
I know there’s no way to accurately and range and dial if you’ve got movers on a double or a triple at say 400ish, 320ish and 175ish...

I guess western desert calling is it’s own game.

Didn’t know it was against the rules to range markers before you turn the caller on to know what’s your holds are. Dammit being stupid sucks?

I have tried both and am back at SFP for life. It seemed I couldn’t find a good balance between the magnification I wanted at a particular range and the thickness of the reticle on the target.

I agree you aren’t going to get anything worth a [beeep] under $1500 these days. I spent many thousands learning that lesson.

My favorite scopes in the 1500-2000 range are the NXS and the new Conquest V6 3-18x50. I have deliberately tried to break the V6 and have come up short. They hit a home run with that one....

As for the NXS, the glass is good enough and I think their rep pretty much exceeds anything nice I could say. They’ll drive a dang fence post if you want.

Scope manufactures need to make a FFP scope for hunters with reticle stadia lines at .07 mil thick. That would solve a lot of issues with FFP scopes that are dialed down to be used on lower power.

Most scopes today are .03 mil thick. Great for shooting small targets at 1000 yds but unnecessarily thin for a hunting application or even general shooting in my opinion. The Bushnell LRHS has a thicker reticle and so does the SWFA scopes and the vortex pst gen II 3-15. These scopes are .05 mil thick if I remember correctly. They are closer to what is needed but not quite there.

Reactions: YotaEer
I'm confused as to why you would get burned if you're not on the lowest power at close ranges but yet at long distance you would have time to change your magnification ring, verify range and dial your elevation?

Even in seemingly open country, coyotes can appear almost out of nowhere, and come from directions you don't expect. When they do, you often need to make a quick shot, usually on a moving yote. If you're not at lowest power (which IMO should be 3 or 4 max) you don't have a large enough field of view, so you're trying to shoot at a furry blur bouncing in and out of view.

On the other hand, longer shots (400+) usually involve a coyote that just won't come in to the call. They stand around or even sit or lay down just out of range (or so they think). There's often enough time to range, dial, and take a shot.

Reactions: steve123
I have tried both and am back at SFP for life.
Same here. I hunt a lot of coyotes. At 63 years old with shitty vision, I have zero use for a FFP on a predator rifle.

Reactions: steve123
Even in seemingly open country, coyotes can appear almost out of nowhere, and come from directions you don't expect. When they do, you often need to make a quick shot, usually on a moving yote. If you're not at lowest power (which IMO should be 3 or 4 max) you don't have a large enough field of view, so you're trying to shoot at a furry blur bouncing in and out of view.

On the other hand, longer shots (400+) usually involve a coyote that just won't come in to the call. They stand around or even sit or lay down just out of range (or so they think). There's often enough time to range, dial, and take a shot.

Totally agree, 15 feet is my closest kill so far and even at 6x I've lost opportunities from lack of enough FOV up close for a quick shot, all I needed was 1-2 more seconds but wasted it locating....

Another option to speed things up - I haven't done it, because my rifle/cartridge doesn't have the energy to try a shot at longer distances, but we could always "map out" the holdovers on lowest mag like 3 or 4x for longer shots in SFP.

For whatever reason all my long shots are when I was driving along and happen to notice a yote way out there so there was a ton of time to range and dial.

This is at 851 yards. Just for reference. But, do you think you could not find, bracket, and hit a moving coyote at 100 yards with this at 3X? I have. Several times.

3X

10X

15X

20X (not really this dark through the scope. Just bad photo)

24X

Reactions: RNWRKNP and 260284
This is at 851 yards. Just for reference. But, do you think you could not find, bracket, and hit a moving coyote at 100 yards with this at 3X? I have. Several times.

3X

10X

15X

24X
Sure is nice and bright out. It doesnt stay that way.

3X

10X

15X

24X

What scope/reticle is that?

You guys are going to have a collective anureysm when you realize that you can do all this shit, at night.

You guys are going to have a collective anureysm when you realize that you can do all this shit, at night.
My pulsar reticle is second focal plane though usually, picture in picture keeps the scaled as a ffp but I like the full view. The reticle stays the same size in the monitor regardless of zoom level. I wish it acted as FFP.
Each dot is 1" apart at 100 on 1.5x, at 6x they are 1/4". All I know is that when night hunting with subs that drop 5" from 50 to 100 its a real bitch trying to keep it all straight in my mind, no light to look at data cards hunting in the dark and no phones lighting up spooking animals.

Supposedly the new trail model fixed that issue and operates as a front focal.

Reactions: RNWRKNP

Don’t know. Never used a FFP. Thus the reason for this thread. It seems doable yet not ideal. Not sure I like the precision of “bracketing” a yote.

I get it. But when a moving coyote comes in hot, I cannot personally hold on an individual aiming point as I swing and squeeze off a round as he is crossing on a trot or run.