• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing anyone installed ptg bottom metal?

tinytree

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
i have a rem 700 varmint 204 in an older h.s.precision police stock, and have been thinking of a det mag system. i see that midway has the ptg, that uses ai mags, back in stock finally. i have read all their reviews, and the reviews on the wyatt's kit, but would really like to hear from some folks who have installed one of them, and get an idea of what was actually involved in getting it up and running. i do like the fact that it uses ai mags, instead of the proprietary wyatts setup. any advice (or maybe even pics!) would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

They're great products. You can download the print and hack out your stock yourself, but if you're lacking experience in this sort of thing, you'd be better served paying someone to inlet the stock for you.

They're great products. You can download the print and hack out your stock yourself, but if you're lacking experience in this sort of thing, you'd be better served paying someone to inlet the stock for you.

I have PTG Stealths on the shelf and inlet about 20 a month. We'll have your stock in/out within a week. $75.00

Easy stuff.

C.

Ptg bottom metal in a B&C light tactical

EA6CC2AD-ED3A-4FE6-9200-E81C7B3FA336-2224-0000015CF488BF13_zps86694d4d.jpg

Keep in mind you will have to have the stock inlet for it, the other option is to get their new dbm metal that fits into the standard inlet but uses proprietary mags.

Last edited:
I put one on my Remington tactical. 223 and been great. Much easier to load & unload and smooth feeding.

I'm sitting here looking at one for a M70 right now, the more I look at it, the more I think I should send this to someone who knows what the hell they're doing. I could probably do it, but..........................lol, I'd better send it out!

I'm sitting here looking at one for a M70 right now, the more I look at it, the more I think I should send this to someone who knows what the hell they're doing. I could probably do it, but..........................lol, I'd better send it out!

I've done a couple on my rifles. I also have a decent mill to do the job, but zero former training in the field. It's not that hard, but I still didn't get a perfect cutout doing it myself. Getting the raius perfect in the corners is a bitch. You can't tell by looking at the rifle unless you inspect it very closely, but the imperfections are there! Send it off if you have mild ocd or want it perfect. As far as function in my rifles, they feed flawlessly.

Go for it. Its a fiberglass stock and if there are imperfections.....easy to repair. If unsure, send it out. The PTG are one of the better ones out there and the mag well extends past the cut out to hid any of your oopses (sp)

The best part of all of it is PTG's stealth M5 pattern DBM is currently on sale for $75 til the end of the week!!! Buy it.

Do you need just the stocks or the complete rifles?

Bradu, I talked to Chad today, if you have a Rem. 700 just the stock. He hasn't done an M70 before, so I'm sending him the entire rifle. Also, if it has an aluminum bedding block it's $100 instead of $75. Give him a call, super nice guy.

It's a fair amount of milling (depth) and the Badger profile has tangent blend angles to the radius of the bottom metal . A cnc mill is the way to go if you want a perfect fit. I used my manual mill and made clearance cuts and a slightly larger radius on the ends then bedded my bottom metal.
Some guys say they can inlet it with a dremel tool but I think that would be pure torture.

IMG_20130920_171854_zps22bbd600.jpg

Last edited:
Staring at some PTG DBM right now. Sadly I don't have a stock to put it in at this point, so I can't help you and the installation side. But it does look pretty easy to do (says the guy with a CNC mill in his shop). Quality wise, I like it. Its well machined, the finish is nice and it has quite a bit of support for the mag. Its a bit better looking than the Accurate mag DBM i installed into a Choate tactical stock for my savage IMO. Mag catch is nice and big. As for DIY'ing the inletting, I would probably let someone who know's what they are doing with it do it for you. With out the right tools and know how it can go south really quick and you can end up with a pretty ugly stock.

Former machinist/fabricator here. I just received mine after the Veterans day sale and will be inletting my stock tonight if we can sort out the issue with the mill at my buddies shop. I'll see what I can do about taking pictures and documenting the process if you like.

Mind you, I've never done this before so it'll be an experiment on my part.

I've done quite a few of these on my manual mill. I built a jig to hold the stock inverted while milling and use a swivel base on the vise to set the taper. There was an inletting print floating around somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now. I do remember it being a bit off regarding the width of the box but otherwise it was spot on. This is an easy job. Like most milling operations, the setup is the time-consuming part. The cuts go quick.

I have sent a few emails to them about Savage rifles. Anyone know which bolt spread that they are for? I have the older 4.27" Staggerfeed. They have not got back to me since I sent 2 emails over the last month.

I have sent a few emails to them about Savage rifles. Anyone know which bolt spread that they are for? I have the older 4.27" Staggerfeed. They have not got back to me since I sent 2 emails over the last month.

They won't be out until the the first of the year or later. I tried to get info on the phone a couple weeks ago and they wouldn't-couldn't tell me. My thoughts are that they will probably do both but will do the 4.40" spacing first if they don't do both at the same time.

I dremeled my B&C. If I had to do it again. I'd send it out have it done.

I had my HS Precision stock for my Rem 700 308 inletted by Badger Ordnance then I installed the PTG. It works great with both the AICS mags and the Accurate mags.

I've installed PTG DBM in B&C stocks with a CNC inlet and in McM A3-5 & A5 stocks ordered with B-O M5 inlet - no problems in any case, especially when using the spacing established with the pillars supplied with the DBM.

ETA - received several sets of the PTG DBM advertised on their site as "Colt", and noticed cuts on the inside of the TG for Jewell bolt stop levers & at the front for the adjusting screw & nut on Timneys. Nice touches - makes it that much closer to a 'drop in' mod.

Last edited:
Im looking at the M5 AICS PTG bdm. Does it have the same deminsions as the badger M5 and the Stealth model?

Edit.... I guess I need to pay more attention to previos post. It appears as though the ptg do fit, as many of you have already stated. My bad

Last edited:
Just my experience, as I have a HS precision PSS stock. I purchased the PT&G bottom medal and sent it along with the stock to Badger. They did the inlet and it fit like a glove. works with Magpul or ACIS magazines.