• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone into high end road bikes?

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone like riding road racing bikes for exercise, fun or competition? I ride a 14.5# Cervelo S3 with Campy Super Record 11 and Zipp 404 tubulars on cermaic bearings. Back up bike is a 14.0# Cervelo R3 with Dura Ace7800, Rotor Compact Crank, Zipp Cockpit, Ti and KCNC fasteners and Reynolds DV 46 wheels. Run Vittoria Tubulars on both and Speedplay Ti pedals.

I find riding is a nice break to running. The mechanical aspect is similar to shooting with endless gear combinations.

Anyone else?

Re: Anyone into high end road bikes?

I was lucky enough to race mountain bikes as a pro for a while. I spent a fair amount of time on a road bike. I lived in Boulder at the time and spent some time chasing the Coors team guys a couple times a week. I just picked up a new mountain bike a couple months ago, a Trek Remedy 9.0 6" of travel front and rear. Even out here in CO there are to many cars on the road for me. Plus there's nothing like coming down a steep single track trial railing between trees, hitting drop offs and jumps. It's amazing how many climbs around here require the small chain ring. Climbing single track is much more fun to me than climbing on the road. I'm due for a new road bike. I think I need a carbon Merx with Dura Ace. We'll see since the snow will be falling soon I'll be on the fat tires till next spring

1997 Fuji Team (last year they used steel frames TrueTemperOX Gold) 58cm
Shimano 600 Derailleurs 8 Speed 105 brakes with Aztec pads
Sachs Campy shift/brake levers designed to shift shimano
converted to threadless steering cane creek headset Profile BDC carbon fork Deda bars and a weyless carbon stem along with brass Bontrager Buzzkills in the bar ends
Specialized Comp wireless computer
Cane Creek Chrono wheels
Shimano Ultegra 172.5 cranks 39-50
connex chain with whipperman link 12-26 cassette
Selle ASPide saddle on a carbon post
Speedplay X pedals
Continental 3000 rubber
and yes it needs a paint job.but it has earned all its road marks
15,267 miles so far including a 175 mile 1 day trip (cross Florida 1999)
I also have just setup a Garmin FR60 to track cadence and speed with HR info should be easier to track info when I get back to triathlons next year (with foot pod for the run)

also have an old tomassini frame from the 70's I am converting to a fixie/singlespeed for winter training

John

I have a vintage 1994 Bianchi team frame that came into this country unpainted with a number hanger and was never sold as a complete bike model. All tubes are Columbus MAX tubing, fork included.

I built it up with Chorus 9 speed in 1998. The low Q factor compared to other bikes I own makes it interesting to ride.

I need to update the stem and bars - this old body just does not like the ergos around a Cinelli XA/65-42 combo anymore.

Current money goes into mountain bikes. I recently got a Giant Anthem X29, unobtainium right now due to Giant recalling the first batch. I'm waiting on a new frame and still riding it.

I cannot see spending $7K on a bike for myself, though I do appreciate the innovation and technology. I went to a utility bike oh 9 years ago for the road and don't mind not being high tech. It is a Gunnar Crosshairs outfitted with Dura Ace, XTR, and Ultegra.

I can certainly identify with a love for cycling. Haven't had the need more than my current Trek 1000 that I inherited when my father got a Madone. Has low end Shimano components on it (Tiagra), but has been an absolute rock for about 2000 miles. I whip my buddies behind that rides a lighter and just plain better Trek 5000 every time we ride. I tell him I am getting a better workout than he is at the same time!

I ride a Specialized Allez bike......nothing too fancy.....nothing too expensive.....just enough to get a nice ride......

The steel road racing machines are timeless. I recently looked at an old Colnago which had been completely rebuilt. The owner bought it at a garage sale for 50 bucks.

Cyclecross looks really fun, sorta like steeplechase with bikes.

I used to ride often. Even completing Double centuries. Sadly, a 225 pound guy busts road frames. So I move to a Cannondale touring bike (much stronger).

I still ride in the summer, and enjoy it, but not as much with 4 kids and all.

BMT

Used to ride a Giant OCR-2 road bike with Tiagra components, then got into triathlons. Switched to a Cervelo P2 carbon with Dura-Ace components. Smooth and fast ride, but I miss the climbing ability of a good road bike. I might get another road bike to replace the Giant one of these days...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to ride often. Even completing Double centuries. Sadly, a 225 pound guy busts road frames. So I move to a Cannondale touring bike (much stronger).</div></div>

You're buying the wrong road frames. I'm about 290 right now and I ride the same bike I've ridden for years..all aluminum and no cracks. Plus when I was younger I was a cat 3 sprinter and put a crap load of torque on frames. You just have to get a thick wall aluminum frame or a titanium and a good set of wheels. Get off the carbon bikes or the thin-walled steel and you'll be fine.

Lucky to be a sponsored cat 2 rider. This years setup was a ridley noah with full campagnole super record and reynolds dvs66 wheels. Bike handles amazing! Next years sponsor will be Focus bikes out of germany and I am hearing good things about their bikes.

I was riding this Orbea Ordu up until 3 weeks ago:

orbea.jpg

I was out for a ride doing just under 30 when a car turned in front of me. I ended up with a fractured clavicle, elbow, and $4200 in damage to the bike.

scar.jpg

I used to race. Got out of it about 10 years. Still riding my custom Bob Jackson road bike built back in 1996 with Dura-Ace 8sp and a mixture of Mavic SSC/Simplex components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The steel road racing machines are timeless. I recently looked at an old Colnago which had been completely rebuilt. The owner bought it at a garage sale for 50 bucks.

Cyclecross looks really fun, sorta like steeplechase with bikes.</div></div>

+1 have a 20 year old steel Jamis, downtube shift that is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to ride often. Even completing Double centuries. Sadly, a 225 pound guy busts road frames. So I move to a Cannondale touring bike (much stronger).</div></div>

You're buying the wrong road frames. I'm about 290 right now and I ride the same bike I've ridden for years..all aluminum and no cracks. Plus when I was younger I was a cat 3 sprinter and put a crap load of torque on frames. You just have to get a thick wall aluminum frame or a titanium and a good set of wheels. Get off the carbon bikes or the thin-walled steel and you'll be fine. </div></div>

Agree. I busted up a series 700 aluminum frame, a steel frame, and then a bonded aluminum and steel frame.

The Cannondale does real well. No issues.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmillanman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was riding this Orbea Ordu up until 3 weeks ago:

orbea.jpg

I was out for a ride doing just under 30 when a car turned in front of me. I ended up with a fractured clavicle, elbow, and $4200 in damage to the bike.

</div></div>

That Sucks Bad, I have a 2007 Orbea Opel, Love it just went over 5000 miles on it.

Man, that sucks. Glad to see you're okay. Nice bike. I don't have a high end road bike, but I do admire them and the people who ride them. I also support that industry .

OUCH!

That sucks. Had a few "events" myself and quit riding in town.

I hope it heals well for you.

BMT

until recently I had a 2005 Colnago C-50 with 10 speed Campy Record throughout the bike; Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels front and back. I loved it. super light, rigid when you stomp on teh pedeels, yet soft to ride. One if the saddest days in my life when I sold it.

JefVN

Thanks for the kind words guys! I should have my new bike in a few days and will post a couple pics of it.

A10XRifle, nice to see a fellow orbea owner on here. The opal is a nice bike, before I picked up my ordu I rode an opal and orca.

I dont know if this qualifies as a "high end road bike" but it is what I am currently riding. Its a Specialized S- works sl3 W/Dura Ace 7900. I had a Specialized Roubaix before which was also an awsome bike.

This is a hobby where real $ is spent!!!! Nice bikes guys, one day...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone into high end road bikes?</div></div>

I ride a Scott CR1 Pro frame with all custom carbon fiber components and SRAM red gruppo. Total weight is right at 15 pounds. My Cervelo P2K is not as light with its aluminum frame, but it is much more aerodynamic. I'd love to have a full custom Scott Addict R1, but I don't race, so I can't really justify it.

My girlfriend rides an Orbea Diva and just bought a Scott Plasma 10 last week. During the Summer we were riding about 200 miles per week, but now we've shifted into more running (road and trail) and swimming and the occasional triathlon (sprint or international/Olympic distance) for maintenance.

I like that Orbea TT bike. Very nice. Wanted to buy a P4 but no more room for bikes.

Can't figure out how to post my bike pics.

Hey Mcmillanman5, hope you are doing better. That really sucks. Can't shoot either. Talk about terrible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That Sucks Bad, I have a 2007 Orbea Opel, Love it just went over 5000 miles on it. </div></div>

George, I didn't know you ride. I used to ride a lot, my Look was stolen and haven't replaced it. Been running in the mean time. tired of being a fat ass.

Did really well (top 10 finish!) at the Blood, Sweat and Gears ride in Boone NC a couple of years back riding my crappy Specialized aluminum frame Allez with 105 and 105-knockoff components. Paid less than $800 for that bike.
Afterwards, some guy came up to me at the finish line and said "Hey man, you're a stronger biker than me, but I've got a nicer bike!!"

?????????????????

That being said, I had my eye on a custom ti frame with SRAM Red until I put my bike down across some train tracks this Spring.
Am currently sitting on the couch with a knee immobilizer, 10 days after having my knee reconstructed with ligaments from some guy who didn't need them any more.

I think we're going to use my bike fund money to build a new porch......

frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mcmillanman5, hope you are doing better. That really sucks. Can't shoot either. Talk about terrible. </div></div>

Thanks man, doing better every day. It does suck not being able to shoot! If you want, email me the pics of your bike and I will host them for you?

I just picked up the new bike yesterday and figured I would post up a few pics:

DSC09535.jpg

DSC09536.jpg

DSC09537.jpg

DSC09538.jpg

trek madone 5.2
done a couple sprint tri's that I have really enjoyed. Thinking about switching to the tri bike this spring.

I built the one the guy on the left of Lance is riding.

o734id.jpg

Like mcmillanman5 I have been hit one too many times on the road so now stick to trails. If I hit a tree it is my own fault.

Tigerbikes were do you find good mtbing on the east coast? you talking poconos? fairhill/white clay?

Those high-end bikes are nice.

I ride for exercise. I don't care what the rolling resistance is. I live across the street from salt water, so parts rust. Rust never sleeps.

I ride a $75 bike from Wal-Mart. It's a mountain-style bike, with extra-thick tire tubes with green slime in them to seal the inevitable punctures from the grass burrs we have here. (I don't ride offroad, except in Colorado in the summer, but those burrs are everywhere.)

I replace cables and incidentals like bottom-bracket bearings as needed, but when the bike gets too bad, I salvage re-usable parts, trash the rest, and go to Wal-Mart for a new bike.

So far, I'm averaging about 6 months on a bike.

That makes my per-year average cost less than $200.

If, like me, all you want is exercise, you don't need much in the way of a bicycle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgwelsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tigerbikes were do you find good mtbing on the east coast? you talking poconos? fairhill/white clay? </div></div>
I am lazy and spend most of my time in Lewis Morris park, which is about five miles out my back door.
Other good spots in NJ are Allamuchy, Wawayanda, Ringwood, and Hartshorne.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'09 Cervelo S3 with full Campy Record.

IMG_3184.jpg
</div></div>

SOB that is a sweet bike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmillanman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mcmillanman5, hope you are doing better. That really sucks. Can't shoot either. Talk about terrible. </div></div>

Thanks man, doing better every day. It does suck not being able to shoot! If you want, email me the pics of your bike and I will host them for you? [email protected]

I just picked up the new bike yesterday and figured I would post up a few pics:

DSC09535.jpg

DSC09536.jpg

DSC09537.jpg

DSC09538.jpg
</div></div>

I would hang that on my living room wall and cry the first time I dumped it.

Ive got a middle-of-the-road Specialized Tarmac. Nice bike but Ive been pretty slack this season. Need to get out more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmillanman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a sick bike AWP! </div></div>

Thanks, your bike is awesome as well!

My top of the line bike is a 6.4Ti Moots, but I love almost all the high-end ones regardless of material used--have 2 Trek carbon
bikes and a Kestrel TT/Tri bike also--still have my 1st great bike--a hand-lugged Schwinn Paramount steel steed--my favorite alum bikes are by Blue and Felt--all are Record or Dura Ace with
all premium wheels and components--just start racing and send your results to sponsors--I started getting sponsors MTB racing
and eventually got 2 free bikes a yr--started at 27 and quit
racing at 50--never sold any until recently when I counted 28 ttl
--got it down to 18 right now--great memories and fitness level
met some of the greatest friends ever--just wish I'd started younger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S3 rocks! </div></div>

I agree the S3 is an absolute blast to ride.

Douglas Ti frame (Litespeed built), Campy Chorus, Easton CF fork, Velomax wheels. 17 lbs, not super high end, but does the job very well.

Ellsworth Truth, Rock Shox Reba Team fork, self built wheels, Formula hydraulic brakes, Easton CF bars. Nice bike.

My Basso GAP with full campag chorus is sitting in my trainer a few feet away. Just finished a workout on it. Ice and busy roads are a winter detterent round here so train inside most of the time.

I like the Basso, not flashy but definitely high end.

I own a Seven Alaris SG/full DuraAce and since having a child have ridden it maybe twice in the last year. Those century days were great but would not trade what I have now for anything. Anybody want to buy a bike?