Anyone loading 300 Norma or 338 Norma on a Dillon 550

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
What shell plate are you using for the 300 or 338 Norma on a Dillon?

When I called Dillon they had no idea and suggested a "G" plate, but its too small

BirdEyes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
Plano, TX
Great Question. The comprehensive Excel spreadsheet found on Brian Enos' forum doesn't have either listed at all for the 550 and only the 300 for the 650. You may want to check out his website and call for a recommendation as his order page does allow for unlisted types. I order all my Dillon stuff through him anyway. Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading if you aren't already familiar.

Cacciatore

Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 14, 2012
NW Indiana
You can try calling dillon and see if they have anything for the .416 rigby because that is the parent case, but online it does not seem like they have anything.

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Wouldn't it be the same as the .338LM, being as it's the parent case for the .300 Norma?

From the Dillon caliber conversion chart...

.338 Lapua - # 20257
    #G Shellplate - # 13313
    #.338 Magnum Rifle Powder Funnel - # 15012
    #7 Locator Button - # 13436
    (Requires Belted Magnum Powder System # 9712 )

jwramp

Photo Guy
    Minuteman
    Aug 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    www.jwramp.com
    That was my assumption as well, and I called Dillon and they said ahead and use the G. Figured OP’s post was accurate when he said they were too small, but hopefully he was mistaken. Should arrive on Tuesday.

Reactions: memilanuk

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Good point. I got a 338LM caliber conversion kit a little while ago, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Decided this was a good excuse to check it and see.

20200412_100230.jpg

Seems to fit fine. Not a lot of slop in there, and if you load it up hot to where the case expands even a little bit, I could see it not fitting or having to 'click' in (I've had that with some other brands of shell holders in single stage presses).

BS Shooter

Private
    Minuteman
  • Dec 26, 2019
    So far I have been using the “g” shell plate for all my 338 Lapua brass and I haven’t had and issues even after several firings. I have used Lapua, S&B, and PPU brass. I have some Peterson brass that I haven’t fired yet but as new it fits in the shell holder fine. Now my RCBS shellholder that I use just to hand prime is a different story. The Peterson brass didn’t fit in there all until I modified it. I realize that this isn’t 300 Norma brass but I think you should be ok with the “g” plate.

Reactions: tihz_on

Huskydriver

Not here for a long time but here for a good time
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2018
    SLC, Utah
    Any issues with seating bullets on the 650 with any of the above calibers?

BS Shooter

Private
    Minuteman
  • Dec 26, 2019
    I have the 550 and am loading 30 cal 230 otm's in for my 300 Lapua. I wouldn't say it is optimal but it works fine. Loading any of my longer magnums on it is about the same. You have to feed the bullet up into the seating die but it works.

Long Range 338

Professional Ammo Waster
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 10, 2012
    Out West

Just use this, problem solved.

• Haha
    Reactions: memilanuk

Huskydriver

Not here for a long time but here for a good time
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2018
    SLC, Utah

Just use this, problem solved.

Wtf do I look like a poor like @Bender ??
    I don't have time to load one at a time like that

MotoSinge

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 22, 2019
    I’m also looking into reloading 300 Norma on the Dillon 550. Anyone got first hand experience and can confirm what shellplate (if any) works? Thanks.

xXlojackXx

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Washington state
    I’m also looking into reloading 300 Norma on the Dillon 550. Anyone got first hand experience and can confirm what shellplate (if any) works? Thanks.

I load 300 Norma and 338 Norma on my 550. I bought the 338 Lapua shell plate and a Dremel to open up the case holder cups since the Normas are a couple thou bigger than a Lapua. Works fine. Just go slow and test fit the case to make sure you aren’t over doing it.