• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone loading 300 Norma or 338 Norma on a Dillon 550

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
What shell plate are you using for the 300 or 338 Norma on a Dillon?

When I called Dillon they had no idea and suggested a "G" plate, but its too small

Great Question. The comprehensive Excel spreadsheet found on Brian Enos' forum doesn't have either listed at all for the 550 and only the 300 for the 650. You may want to check out his website and call for a recommendation as his order page does allow for unlisted types. I order all my Dillon stuff through him anyway. Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading if you aren't already familiar.

You can try calling dillon and see if they have anything for the .416 rigby because that is the parent case, but online it does not seem like they have anything.

Wouldn't it be the same as the .338LM, being as it's the parent case for the .300 Norma?

From the Dillon caliber conversion chart...

.338 Lapua - # 20257
#G Shellplate - # 13313
#.338 Magnum Rifle Powder Funnel - # 15012
#7 Locator Button - # 13436
(Requires Belted Magnum Powder System # 9712 )

That was my assumption as well, and I called Dillon and they said ahead and use the G. Figured OP’s post was accurate when he said they were too small, but hopefully he was mistaken. Should arrive on Tuesday.

Reactions: memilanuk
Good point. I got a 338LM caliber conversion kit a little while ago, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Decided this was a good excuse to check it and see.

20200412_100230.jpg

Seems to fit fine. Not a lot of slop in there, and if you load it up hot to where the case expands even a little bit, I could see it not fitting or having to 'click' in (I've had that with some other brands of shell holders in single stage presses).

So far I have been using the “g” shell plate for all my 338 Lapua brass and I haven’t had and issues even after several firings. I have used Lapua, S&B, and PPU brass. I have some Peterson brass that I haven’t fired yet but as new it fits in the shell holder fine. Now my RCBS shellholder that I use just to hand prime is a different story. The Peterson brass didn’t fit in there all until I modified it. I realize that this isn’t 300 Norma brass but I think you should be ok with the “g” plate.

Reactions: tihz_on
Any issues with seating bullets on the 650 with any of the above calibers?

I have the 550 and am loading 30 cal 230 otm's in for my 300 Lapua. I wouldn't say it is optimal but it works fine. Loading any of my longer magnums on it is about the same. You have to feed the bullet up into the seating die but it works.

Just use this, problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: memilanuk

Just use this, problem solved.

Wtf do I look like a poor like @Bender ??
I don't have time to load one at a time like that

I’m also looking into reloading 300 Norma on the Dillon 550. Anyone got first hand experience and can confirm what shellplate (if any) works? Thanks.

I’m also looking into reloading 300 Norma on the Dillon 550. Anyone got first hand experience and can confirm what shellplate (if any) works? Thanks.

I load 300 Norma and 338 Norma on my 550. I bought the 338 Lapua shell plate and a Dremel to open up the case holder cups since the Normas are a couple thou bigger than a Lapua. Works fine. Just go slow and test fit the case to make sure you aren’t over doing it.

Just to revive old thread does anyone know how to use powder through die. As obviously you need an AT500 oversized die to be able to fit cartridge however then powder funnels are to narrow. Is AT500 oversized die compatible with "oversized" funnels such as 18415 -oversized funnel for 300 WSM and RSAUM? I have no issues otherwise only powder die for 338 and 300 is not compatible or at least i haven't found it to work.

PS: I dont use Dillon powder measure i just throw powder from trickler through die on my lesser calibers but 338 and 300NM are too wide to fit in standard AT500.

Reactions: Balor
I load 300 Norma and 338 Norma on my 550. I bought the 338 Lapua shell plate and a Dremel to open up the case holder cups since the Normas are a couple thou bigger than a Lapua. Works fine. Just go slow and test fit the case to make sure you aren’t over doing it.
I did exactly this as well. It works but I went back to using a coax to loading 300 Norma. The Norma wasn't smooth on my 550. I felt like I was about to get a stuck case and it took a lot more force than I liked to work the press.

When it comes to small calibers I wouldn't trade my 550 for anything. But with the 300 Norma I'll stick with my coax for now.