• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone put a NightForce 5.5-22 NXS on their AR?

Bongos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2004
Garden Grove,CA
Since I shoot my AR 16" bull barrel target AR alot, was thinking of putting my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 on it. Cuttently, I have a Nikon Bushmaster 4.5-14 on it and it's OK..but not satisfying.. The NXS is on my Bolt 308 but I have not shot that for months. The AR get less than 1/2 MOA and currently getting a lot of range time (once a week).. Am I just weird to think this way? Anybody else have higher end optics on their plinker?

Re: Anyone put a NightForce 5.5-22 NXS on their AR?

That's a lot of scope for that gun. I got an 16" AR and the same Nightforce scope. You are going to need extra high rings.

I have one on my SPR right now, but I plan to move it over to a 308 when I get it ordered.

I have a 6.5-20X40 Leupy Vari-X III EFR on my Colt 6600 HBAR to used for varmint hunting. I still use it for target shooting usually on the high power end and find it really helps my aging eyes. I think you'd like the Nightforce on your AR.

yeah - i think it depends on what your target is and what your using your gun for... QD is always nice to switch scopes quick. But if your varmint hunting - i don't see it being strange.

I think i just read, either here or another site, where they were putting high mag scopes on their ar to prairie dog hunt. At 600 yds those little guys look pretty small in a 4-14x scope.

I don't think it would look so bad if my AR had a 20-26" bull barrel, but it does not, it has a 16", here is what it looks like, you guys decide.
IMG_0016.jpg

Yup, here you go. It is a 20" barrel though. Great out to the distance:

IMG_0061.jpg

Sweet God of Overkill !!!

I've got a one on my .308 and always thought it was too much - but I've gotta say that it looks good on there.

i've mounted up a few with the xhigh 1.375 unimount and the burris ar mount

I'm putting a 5-25 on my pof 308 for kicks...

Heres a 3.5-15x50 NXS NP-R1 Reticle
on a 6.5 Grendel build I finished.
Mounted on a Larue SPR 1.5 mount.

speedy019.jpg

speedy025.jpg

Keep in mind, looks dont mean shit. If it works for you, run it!

I put mine on my ar just to try it. Too much scope for my taste.

I have a 2.5x10 on one of my ARs. More than enough scope for the AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm putting a 5-25 on my pof 308 for kicks... </div></div>
I have one on my 20" barrel POF.

yeah - i agree. I need a little more magnification to see the spot i'm shooting at - even at 100yds i like more than 10x. When i'm shooting at little targets - it's nice to have the extra mag to know your not off the target.

I've put a 3.5-15x56 on my AR15 for temporary stuff to put the scope through it's paces, make sure it tracked properly, etc. (I don't assume that something works until I prove it to myself)

I shoot a 3.5-15x50 on my DPMS LR-260 and it stays on there permanently.

I have shot the 5.5-22 on it, but I chose to put the 5.5-22 on my long range 7mm bolt rifle as opposed to the 260.

Personally speaking, I guess if i were putting it on a battle rifle and my environment was war and more closer than more open ... i would put a less mag scope=quicker target acquisition. If i were making long range shots and had time - for me, i would rather choose a higher mag with the sacrifice at the lower,"quicker" end. But that just seems to me what makes sense as far as my preference of the choice.

I think it will look just fine and fill the need. My 18" SPR

2009_0328Image0001-1.jpg

2009_0328Image0003-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares what others think it looks like! Run it if it works for you. I run mine on both AR15s and AR10s. The Nightforce unified mount with a 20moa cant works great. </div></div>

Looks fine to me as well. I need all the magnification I can get and if it meets your needs I'd go for it.
smile.gif
I wish I had put one on my SIG 556 instead of the ACOG TA31F. Good scope but not enoght magnification for my eyes.

You guys have some great looking setups.

I feel for the setup you are doing the max power should 15x but if 22x works for you then go for it.

If you are doing tactical shooting is would say 17x and under. If you are shooting for groups 20x and above. If you go with a FFP scope you can go 25x because you can use the RET at any power.

Mike @ CST

Nice to have the extra mag for bench or prone target shooting. But for 16" barreled AR seems a little much to me. For moving targets and hiking with your rifle that is a hefty setup.