• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone reload the 7.5 x 55 Swiss?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I'm debating whether to get a set of dies and brass/bullets for the K-31 we just acquired.
    I handload for every other rifle/caliber we own, but I'm on the fence with this one.

We just started shooting it, and don't have it scoped yet- but I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy we're getting with the (lousy) iron sights and the GP11 match ammunition.

I mean, non-corrosive, seems to be highly accurate, and at $.50 round, it's about the same cost as a SMK handload.

I've got plenty of other rifles to load for, so I'd like to save the work unless I'm going to see a significant difference.
    Most "cheap" milsurp ammo sucks- but not this stuff, it seems.

Re: Anyone reload the 7.5 x 55 Swiss?

Most every one including myself that shoot this rifle at military silhouette comp. reload .The favorite bullet seems to be the smk 175 and either 4350 or 4064 powder . The clamp on scope mount works great and can be taken off and put back on with perect Zero. Arnie

I was surprised to see AIM had GP11 surplus for less than 50 cents/rd. Back when I owned a K31 (until 2009), it was about that. You know this stuff is Berdan primed? It can be reloaded but never was by me! I had a bunch of Prvi and it shot just as well...but for some reason an inch or so high and to the right of the GP11. Sometimes Grafs has the brass. But you could just buy the loaded Prvi for a little more (at least then that was the case), enjoy it, then reload.

I know it's Berdan primed, bit it's not corrosive...
    I was just sayin' that the GP11 seems to be match grade.
    I understand that if we were shooting comps, or wanted to squeak every last bit of accuracy out of it I'd need to do load development and handload like all our other rifles. But, we're just looking for "decent" shooting (meaning moa or close).

And a $.50 round, I can buy it for what it would cost me to reload and save me the work.

Like I said, reloading is work for me... between myself and my two sons I already load 300-600 rounds per month. I'm looking to avoid more reloading, not make more
    smile.gif

K-3175Swissrifles12-31-2011.jpg

I use 284 brass in the K-31s.

168 gr Sierra .308 Match King 45.5 gr IMR4895

I handload 60 different cartridges, the 7.5 Swiss is near the bottom of my list.

I think I got those rifles 10 years ago when they were $80 at BIG5. They have perfect bores, but lots of wear on the butt of the stocks from sitting in a closet and getting kicked by Swiss boots.

The bolt does not close so easy when there is any kind of cartridge in the chamber.

They have weird names on pieces of paper under the butt plates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    K-3175Swissrifles12-31-2011.jpg

I use 284 brass in the K-31s.

168 gr Sierra .308 Match King 45.5 gr IMR4895

I handload 60 different cartridges, the 7.5 Swiss is near the bottom of my list.

I think I got those rifles 10 years ago when they were $80 at BIG5. They have perfect bores, but lots of wear on the butt of the stocks from sitting in a closet and getting kicked by Swiss boots.

The bolt does not close so easy when there is any kind of cartridge in the chamber.

They have weird names on pieces of paper under the butt plates. </div></div>

The tags under the buttplates are the service numbers of the people the rifles were issued to.