• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Running a 7 Mag to aMile?

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I am curious to know about experiences with the srraight Remington 7mm Mag.
All the 7mm high bc bullets being offered makes it interesting.
Notes on smaller bore , long for caliber bullets and transonic flight would great to hear about.

I havent run mine to a mile but I dont doubt it one bit. The only down side I've heard compared to larger bullets is splash but at 1200 in the soil around my targets I cant imagine it being hard to see at a mile.

The 180 class bullets are the most realistic but some people have played with the 195 eol and the 197 smk. I think the senses was that they could do with a little more powder. Obviously there's not much for factory twist rates and my thoughts are that the saum in a custom might handle the length better.

If I were to build a dedicated elr gun on a standard action I'd probably look into the 300 prc shooting 230s, if it were mainly a hunting gun then the 7 saum shooting 180s would get a mile when you felt like it. These are just my thoughts and what I've come to and I'm interested to hear what others think here.

Most factory 7mm Rem Mags have a 1-9.5" twist, which is a little slow for most of the new high BC bullets.
I shoot 162-168 gr bullets from my factory 7mags. You will probably want a 1-8" twist for the 180-197gr class of bullets.

Check out Mark and Sam afterwork on youtube they shoot many calibers SUPER far including the 7 mag. Ive always wanted a 7 mag for an ELR gun. Will build one someday.

I’ve run mine out past 2K with 168 Berger’s. Impacts are harder to notice than with my 338s but they get out there in no windy days.

Here you can see the 2 signature from a 338 on the left side; on the right are the 7mm and they are much smaller. The plate is past 2K

Reactions: 1J04 and jLorenzo
First time I ever saw a guy shoot at a mile it was a 7WSSM. I think he was shooting 180 Bergers. He was hitting a 12 inch plate a lot more than he was missing it.

What I would do to be able to shoot on some land like that......

What I would do to be able to shoot on some land like that......

You and me both!!! I live in Australia and let me tell you there is only a Very tiny percentage of shooters who have access to land like that and I'm not one of them. Australia should be the ideal place to shoot ELR yet its not. We have a country the same size pretty much as continental US with a population the size of New York City which means there are literally MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of acres of open land. Problem is this land is mostly privately owned and the land that is state land we are not allowed to shoot on so unless your related to the land owners chances of getting access to target shoot are very slim. Mark and Sam are very lucky.

Reactions: jLorenzo
You and me both!!! I live in Australia and let me tell you there is only a Very tiny percentage of shooters who have access to land like that and I'm not one of them. Australia should be the ideal place to shoot ELR yet its not. We have a country the same size pretty much as continental US with a population the size of New York City which means there are literally MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of acres of open land. Problem is this land is mostly privately owned and the land that is state land we are not allowed to shoot on so unless your related to the land owners chances of getting access to target shoot are very slim. Mark and Sam are very lucky.
I've heard stories about Kangaroos not being legal to cull then they over populate, eat all the vegetation and then starve to death.
Does that happen? Can you hunt roos and what else can you hunt?

I've heard stories about Kangaroos not being legal to cull then they over populate, eat all the vegetation and then starve to death.

In certain states I'm not sure if they are allowed to be shot, in my state they are/were I haven't shot kangaroos in a long time. There are certainly areas where they over populate and eat everything are considered a pest on many farms. The big farms usually have contract "roo shooters". The main thing people hunt in my area (proudly redneck area) are pigs both with dogs and guns with dogs being much more popular. Down south people hunt deer.

180 eld 3000 fps 25 degrees 5-15 mph sunny shooting rock face 1700 yards impact were getting harder to spot compared to my 338 edge +p. Accuracy was great dealing with the wind wasn't that bad few gust. Using budget scopes no issues very clear. 1 mile 7 mag is EZ past that does become $ more on support equipment and gear

I run the 195 Berger EOL hybrid out of a Rem 700 26" bbl 7mm Rem Mag at almost 3000 fps from ~71g Retumbo. Longest shot to date 1906 yards. But I also shoot in Colorado, at 6000' ASL, so the factory 9.5" twist doesn't subtract from the stability as much as it would at lower elevations. only ~2% or so BC lost last time I checked the Berger calculator.

Reactions: jLorenzo and DIBBS

We shoot a lot of wallabies here in New Zealand. CLassed as a pest so can shoot as many as you want.

We shoot a lot of wallabies here in New Zealand. CLassed as a pest so can shoot as many as you want.
Prefered caliber? That must be interesting. How to wallabies fit into the evening ecosystem?

Prefered caliber? That must be interesting. How to wallabies fit into the evening ecosystem?
Mainly 223 and shotguns in the thick scrub. Alot of 22-250's 243's etc. I use my 260rem a bit as well. A 223 will knock one over out to 3-400m easy enough. A good team of 8-12 on a good weekend will see 2-300 shot.

Very amazing landscapes there would love to visit and hunt. How hard is it to travel there and aquire a rifle to hunt with or can I bring my own?

I run the 195 Berger EOL hybrid out of a Rem 700 26" bbl 7mm Rem Mag at almost 3000 fps from ~71g Retumbo. Longest shot to date 1906 yards. But I also shoot in Colorado, at 6000' ASL, so the factory 9.5" twist doesn't subtract from the stability as much as it would at lower elevations. only ~2% or so BC lost last time I checked the Berger calculator.
I miss shooting in Colorado. Born and raised. Took the elevation for granted until I'm now at 900'.

Wrong link

i have seen them quite a bit they have loads of videos on several cartridges. also, to the OP. this might be helpful to note that as long as you can stay behind the gun, you can usually see any impact.

That being said; as long as the barrel twist matches the BC i think a mile for 7mm MAG is easily feasible.

Reactions: jasent