• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Running PTG's Bore-Rider Throat

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    What's up fellow shooters,

Started a project a bit ago and need some specific feedback.

I am building a Mausingfield into a .338 Norma AI and I ordered a reamer from PTG that has a bore-rider throat.

If I get the rifle chambered for the Warner Solids will I be able to shoot the Berger OTM's.

The Berger has a base to Ogive length of .945" and Flat lines are .540".

If I throat it for the Berger's the solids will be jumping .425 and if i throat it for the Solids then the Bergers would be stuffed all the way into the cases.

The Berger's are definitely the more cost effective but I am hoping someone has some middle groud insight I am not seeing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Norma with that long throat is a kinda a pain with solids.
    Either solids are perfect and cup core is really deep eating case capacity or you have perfect placement for the Berger and barely any neck grip on solids especially if you have cute Sloan reamer.

A freebore of about .150-.165 might be a decent compromise

This 338 Norma is a 285 badlands.
    I’m not sure which version, my throat measuring tools are at work.

As for the bore rider I believe it’s just a a shallower entry angle into the rifling.

A9EE5547-3729-4F5B-BFD9-003D2A1DA9A9.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: bbhank
    Normally what you want if you plan on shooting solid especially Warner or Badlands. let Dave at ptg understands that you want to touch the the first stage of the bore Rider with Berger bullets very close to the case mouth. Having a very short lead this will allow you to use aggressive solids. My suggestion is to seat a variety of bullets in a case and use a AOL comparator to find a happy medium between solids and jacketed bullets and give that measurement to Dave at ptg and tell him you want to touch the 0 curve at that measurement

Last edited:
    Norma with that long throat is a kinda a pain with solids.
    Either solids are perfect and cup core is really deep eating case capacity or you have perfect placement for the Berger and barely any neck grip on solids especially if you have cute Sloan reamer.

A freebore of about .150-.165 might be a decent compromise

This 338 Norma is a 285 badlands.
    I’m not sure which version, my throat measuring tools are at work.

As for the bore rider I believe it’s just a a shallower entry angle into the rifling.

View attachment 7760590
    Thanks for your input SH! I looked on badlands website and couldn't find any dims. Can you tell me the overall length and base to ogive length are?

May not apply to you because its not a big bore magnum but i have a a ptg bore ride reamer for my 30-06.. I can’t remember the exact specifics as compared to a standard 30-06 springfield reamer but the main difference is the stepped throat. The bullet doesn’t aggressively bite into the rifling right out of the gate. I spoke directly to Dave several times before having him make me one if his bore rider reamers. According to him, the slower transition to the rifling slows the spike of pressure and therefore in most cases you can run more powder and achieve more velocity.

I kind of went against the grain and I do not use solids in the rifle but instead i use the berger 200.20x in a 28” barrel. With lapua brass i am able to achieve velocities of 2750-2800fps easily. Where as with the standard 30-06 springfield reamer i would have been blowing primers with a 190gr bullet at a lower velocity. I admit i can run it a little harder than i do now but it handles the ranges i shoot at easily and the brass lasts longer. The bore rider reamer also allowed me to get the bullet further out of the case without worrying about jamming into the lands. Dave even mentioned to me that when he designed his bore rider reamers he did so in a way that it was kinda impractical to jam in the lands(im sure it can still be done but he assured me there was no need to).

May not apply to you because its not a big bore magnum but i have a a ptg bore ride reamer for my 30-06.. I can’t remember the exact specifics as compared to a standard 30-06 springfield reamer but the main difference is the stepped throat. The bullet doesn’t aggressively bite into the rifling right out of the gate. I spoke directly to Dave several times before having him make me one if his bore rider reamers. According to him, the slower transition to the rifling slows the spike of pressure and therefore in most cases you can run more powder and achieve more velocity.

I kind of went against the grain and I do not use solids in the rifle but instead i use the berger 200.20x in a 28” barrel. With lapua brass i am able to achieve velocities of 2750-2800fps easily. Where as with the standard 30-06 springfield reamer i would have been blowing primers with a 190gr bullet at a lower velocity. I admit i can run it a little harder than i do now but it handles the ranges i shoot at easily and the brass lasts longer. The bore rider reamer also allowed me to get the bullet further out of the case without worrying about jamming into the lands. Dave even mentioned to me that when he designed his bore rider reamers he did so in a way that it was kinda impractical to jam in the lands(im sure it can still be done but he assured me there was no need to).
    After looking at the specs and weighing out the cost, I decided for this stick I'm shooting Bergers and won't mess with the solids. My reamer is in production now. I'm looking forward to the build!!!!

Last edited:
    After looking at the specs and weighing out the cost, I decided for this stick I'm shooting Bergers and won't mess with the solids. My reamer is in production now. I'm looking forward to the build!!!!
    Solids do serve a purpose, and serve it well but it’s hard to be bergers at a cheaper price than the solids would be. My rifle with the bore rider chamber shoots bergers excellent and has never been picky about OAL. Good luck on the build!