• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone scaling down their number of matches this year?

earthquake

Area Man
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I shot a bunch (for me) last year. Of course I'd like to do it again in '21 but with the current political climate and difficulty finding components, I'm going to scale back and only shoot 1 or 2 PRS/NRL matches and start shooting more local 1-day events.

Anyone else? Alternatively, I'd rather start shooting more "adventure style" matches like CD's Steel and Team Safari etc. Something different and with lower round-count. I was already getting burned-out on PRS type stuff which have become rather redundant over the past 6 years in my AO.

What's out there similar to what CD hosts in New Mexico, which is a really far drive for me. Anything east of the Mississippi?

Thanks!

I'm really getting away from the PRS/NRL contrived matches. They don't offer anything for me that really trips my trigger anymore. I am going to try one or two NRL Hunter matches and see if I enjoy them.
    I dipped my toes in the CD matches last year(BTC and Team Safari) and fell head over heels. There's no drama, no excuses, no bitching about ROs. You can be competitive with limited equipment and it really puts the burden back on the shooters.
    I met some great people and at the end of the day you feel like you accomplished something. I'm not sure I'm ever going to be ready for the SAC, and I'd need a partner to carry/teach me in land nav, but its on my radar.
    After shooting the CD matches, everything else is hoe hum. Its well worth the travel to attend. Look me up if you decide to make the trip!

i shoot just a little prs and mostly uspsa and 2/3 gun and related outlaw matches. no plans to scale back. but i will avoid matches that do reduce round counts, just not worth the commute etc and from what i've seen they don't lower their prices either.

Reactions: richard1
    A buddy and I had planned to hit all the CD type matches we could in 2020, for similar reasons noted above (to avoid contrived crap, peacocks, drama, feeling of sitting in traffic, etc) , and then something weird happened and we couldn't get to any of them. By weird, I mean fucked up, like the whole country shut down lol. I was, however, able to attend the hunter challenge, and just that format alone was a home run in my mind. I'm already signed up for the New Mexico NRL hunter challenge, which is a stretch on the travel for me (10hrs one way), but I am scaling back plans absolutely. No PRS/NRL 2 day events for me, I am going to try to focus on quality not quantity events, and the hunter format is definitely more appealing. The low round count, the increased individual involvement with find-range-engage, run what ya brung atmosphere is where I'll be. I will likely hit some local one day matches, especially the ones that have been a staple in my short comp rifle experience.

Feeling lucky to have a NRLH match in NH this summer and very excited for reports on the upcoming Feb. season starter!

Our local one-day-match league is talking about reduced round count matches... that might help some folks.

I upped my two day matches from 7 last year to 8 this year.

I have a decent stash of primers and powder and bullets to get through the year so I'm hitting it hard. fuggit.

will squeeze in a few rimfire matches, a team match, and some one day matches with the wife!

Last year sucked. Made it in to the Allegheny Sniper Challenge and it was canceled. Had a spot in Team Safari and delta messed with our flights so much we just gave up.

On the roster for TS again this year even if we have to drive. Something like 21 hours.

Thankfully, there are quite a few sniper challenges in NC/SC that I am going to look at this year.

Not really scaling back, just being more discriminating about what we shoot.

On a positive note, it finally made me get off my ass and start reloading for precision. My gotos were Hornady Match and American Gunner and I've not seen those in stock in 6-7 months.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    I may shoot a couple. If I do, I may shoot with a suppressed .308 just for shits and giggles.

PRS is starting to become very contrived. I dislike how the general spirit has become to make a stage as easy as possible (whether through tactics or gear), rather then shooting a stage to the best of your ability under the intent of the stage design. I think Frank nails it when he calls PRS "tactical benchrest".

I'll try and shoot some of the local matches that are within a drive from my location, but my zest for the competition side of things is waning.

I shot 11 two day prs matches and 3 or 4 one day matches this past year. This year I plan on shooting 6 two day and a lot more 1 day. That’s if components become more available. I really enjoyed shooting that many matches last year and I’d shoot one every weekend if I could but 11 weekends away was too much with a wife and 2 kids. I take my 11 year old to some that let you shoot a train up day on a decent amount of props and he enjoys it. Hoping to get him into more one day matches this year. I also drove to all but 3 matches and the drive times were between 12 and 16 hours for most of them. Two that were 5 or under. That’s a lot of time driving. I’m hoping they have a match in Montana this year but nothings on the schedule yet.

I know a lot of people are upset with some of the politics of the PRS but I’m not going to win the match and the prize table isn’t that big of a deal for me. If I can grab something I can use than I’m happy. A lot of times you can grab a powder cert and they ship you a keg right away. I just go to have a good time and try to do better than I did my last match. My goal is to make the finale and if that happens than I’m happy and it was a good year.

I hadn't heard of the NRL Hunter class. I'll have to look into that. However, I don't think NRL is on my side of the country?
    Shot one rimfire match so far but I don't have a fancy .22 rifle yet so I used my Remington Nylon 77 which was about worthless, LoL! It was fun though and has me maybe considering a CZ at least.

I think my trouble is not being on social media anymore where I was "in the loop" on matches. Hopefully more of those guys make their way here instead of supporting FB. Is there a place to find out about some of the "sniper" challenge type matches mentioned above in NC/SC or other different-than-PRS matches?

How are the Guardian matches?

Snipers Unknown Challenge, looks like the domain is down for the event but FB still there

I've done a couple of Guardians. They are similar in course of fire to a PRS match, but the vibe is completely different. More about the learning and getting people into the sport, used to be affiliated with a charity.

I'll probably do their team event at GTI this year, seems more like a sniper team event like the ones above.

I have enough match grade ammo for 2 PRS matches this year. Cannot find or make anymore without great expense. So... for sure the only matches I'm going to are NOT in a HOT INTOLERABLE SUMMER DAY like I did last year.

PRS is starting to become very contrived. I dislike how the general spirit has become to make a stage as easy as possible (whether through tactics or gear), rather then shooting a stage to the best of your ability under the intent of the stage design. I think Frank nails it when he calls PRS "tactical benchrest".
    People will complain if you have a standard course of fire that can be "figured out" by practicing and developing your gear to suit, or a bunch of circus stages that are only mastered if you have had the opportunity to practice on that exact stage (string on a post, rocking whiskey barrel, mouse trap where you are climbing through the legs and supports of a shooting table, etc). You're also going to get complaints of targets being too big or too small, or stages that do or don't require any mental games like a specific sequence. IMO, the better you get, the more the stages feel boring or contrived, which is why I think you see a lot of better shooters eventually getting out of it.

Retired this year , don't shoot PRS, but 3-4 long range shoots a month vs 2-3 last year so i'm doing more while I still can.
    Great 1000 yard range 1 hour from me. Can't take the primers with me.

Reactions: Mxridr
    I have enough match grade ammo for 2 PRS matches this year. Cannot find or make anymore without great expense. So... for sure the only matches I'm going to are NOT in a HOT INTOLERABLE SUMMER DAY like I did last year.
    I shot PRS hunter in avenal, Ca couple months ago and had a absolute blast. The course was awesome and guys welcoming and friendly and I really enjoyed the day. So much so that I went down the rabbit hole right away to some websites to order a new precision rifle. Then this last couple weeks happened and I’m rethinking my plans. Might need to start saving $ and ammo, not sure what’s coming up in 2021 and beyond. I’m Not very optimistic.

People will complain if you have a standard course of fire that can be "figured out" by practicing and developing your gear to suit, or a bunch of circus stages that are only mastered if you have had the opportunity to practice on that exact stage (string on a post, rocking whiskey barrel, mouse trap where you are climbing through the legs and supports of a shooting table, etc). You're also going to get complaints of targets being too big or too small, or stages that do or don't require any mental games like a specific sequence. IMO, the better you get, the more the stages feel boring or contrived, which is why I think you see a lot of better shooters eventually getting out of it.
    The stage designs didn't steer me away, it's the entire concept. The concept of finding, ranging, and engaging targets is lost. The very basics of shooting has been perverted to the point where the skill set is so limited that it really is benchrest as Frank has said in the past. I hear every MD say, "this is a field style match;" no it's not. If it's hunting for animals, people, or whatever, where do you not have to, at minimum, find, range, and engage the target(s). The expectation is that everything should be laid out with minimal movement so shooters can showcase their ability to break a good shot off a 25 lb rifle.
    I understand that many square ranges cannot support a true field style match because it's impossible to hide stages. Here is my bitch about that, there's plenty of matches held in huge scenic areas that still use the same format as a square range. You don't have to squeeze 20 stages into an area. Spread them out as blind stages and increase times. Have a holding area for the shooters and put them on the clock as soon as their name is called to leave the holding area. Get some physical fitness back into the sport. See how fun that 25-30 lb rifle is after running to stages all day.
    I don't want to sound judgemental because that's not my intention, but if you're a 400 lb person, you can still compete in the current format. That's not helping anyone. I believe there needs to be a physical aspect to the matches, even if that's running 100 yards to a stage. I'm not talking everyone needs to be in SAC shape, but moving a whole 5' during a stage doesn't present any realistic scenario. Shooters will/should be inspired to achieve some level of condition to be competitive, and that's good for everyone.

You are never going to please everyone.

My shooting philosophy differs slightly from the more competitive shooters. I don't care about the prize table - in fact, I can't remember the last time I stayed for the prizes and award ceremony. I don't want a stage to be watered down, nor do I want to make a stage easier through "gamer gear" like a gamer plate. While I like shooting well - it's for me only. I want to come out of every match a better shooter, I'm not looking to beat any specific individuals and get to the top of the leaderboard, I just want to be a more proficient shooter. And ultimately - it's to have fun and meet great people.

As you mention, shooting the same props over and over and over again starts to get boring. I get bored of walking two steps up to a barricade, dropping a bag down, and shooting a overly generous sized target in as fast a time as possible.

PRS is starting to remind me of IPSC - gear and tactics that are highly evolved to excel in very specific and contrived situations & conditions. It's moving away from it's roots, which was a broader practical application, and turning into a more specific and contrived game. Which I guess was bound to happen.

I'll probably still shoot the odd match here and there, and I think shooting it with my suppressed .308 may invigorate some more fun and traditional spirit into it. I have nothing against the PRS per say, but the sport is evolving more and more away from what I'm personally looking to get out of it.

I have gotten away from the big PRS 2 day matches. I doesn’t do anything for me that I can’t get out of 1 Day Club matches.

I plan on shooting our 4 local (Alabama Precision) 1 Day PRS sanctioned matches. I have met more people and had more fun at those club matches than any 2 Day PRS event I have been to. The course of fire is never the same, maybe 40-50% is the same but the targets get smaller and further out as the season progresses.

I plan on shooting an additional 1 Day match at K&M, Altus, and Arena. I have had a lot fun at K&M and Arena in the past. Both incorporate either movement to a new positions or switching multiple targets in stages.

I have also registered for Guardian’s GTI and Arena team matches which is really where I would like to see the sport move towards and what I am most excited about for the season.

Locally, we are trying to create a once a month, non PRS sanctioned club match at the local gun club. Half day format, 8-10 stages, cash payout for 1st/2nd/3rd/Tac/Youth, modest entry fee.

PRS is still very much a challenge for me, and honestly I still get that excited, try not to nd first shot type nervousness during the first couple of stages so I'll be going to as many matches as I possibly can. I feel sorry for you guys who don't enjoy this sport because of _______ or have so many issues with it you can't stand to go to one out of principle and miss the most important part, the camaraderie that comes along with it. I also wonder what gets your blood going if this doesn't because I want in! :unsure:

Not gonna find hiking to the next stage (to get a physical component in) East of the Mississippi very easily. Either you walk 5’ to the next stage or you get a ride (like at K&M). Part of that is safety. Don’t want folks wondering into a firing line. Part of that is the fact people keep mating and less and less land is available.

Y’all seem to want a realistic tactical sniper scenario. For that, go hunting out west. Or set up targets on land and play sniper (safely... don’t end up in jail and/or ruining it for others).

PRS is a competition. It’s a game. Some can (afford to) play the game better than others.

You still learn skills you can use to be a better hunter of game. You still make friends. You still get to check out cool shit you don’t have (or can’t afford). You still (for now) get to shoot guns. You still (for now) get to shoot 1,000+ yards.

Call up your closest range and offer to design a competition you actually want to participate in. For me, I’d like one with actually attainable equipment as a requirement. The entire gun (inclusive of the stock and trigger and all that) cannot cost (at original retail price) more than $1,000. The scope cannot cost more than $1,000 and must not be made on China. Then I want the stages to be firing from natural positions. No benches, no contraptions. Rocks, dirt, and tree stumps and that’s it. And not 10 shots a stage. Just 5 and the first two shots are worth 2 points to the latter being 1 point. No target should be larger than the vitals of let’s say an Elk. And to round it all out, the only supports you can use are what fits inside of (not attached to) a single school size backpack. And you have to walk to stages.

I do PRS to skill up to be confident in firing just one single shot (maybe two) so that I have the ability to take game ethically. PRS provides that but I’d like it to be more realistic. That said, PRS is great. Just not for me to compete on some national stage and I don’t have time and money to spend on 2-day events.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
    Not gonna find hiking to the next stage (to get a physical component in) East of the Mississippi very easily. Either you walk 5’ to the next stage or you get a ride (like at K&M). Part of that is safety. Don’t want folks wondering into a firing line. Part of that is the fact people keep mating and less and less land is available.

Y’all seem to want a realistic tactical sniper scenario. For that, go hunting out west. Or set up targets on land and play sniper (safely... don’t end up in jail and/or ruining it for others).

PRS is a competition. It’s a game. Some can (afford to) play the game better than others.

You still learn skills you can use to be a better hunter of game. You still make friends. You still get to check out cool shit you don’t have (or can’t afford). You still (for now) get to shoot guns. You still (for now) get to shoot 1,000+ yards.

Call up your closest range and offer to design a competition you actually want to participate in. For me, I’d like one with actually attainable equipment as a requirement. The entire gun (inclusive of the stock and trigger and all that) cannot cost (at original retail price) more than $1,000. The scope cannot cost more than $1,000 and must not be made on China. Then I want the stages to be firing from natural positions. No benches, no contraptions. Rocks, dirt, and tree stumps and that’s it. And not 10 shots a stage. Just 5 and the first two shots are worth 2 points to the latter being 1 point. No target should be larger than the vitals of let’s say an Elk. And to round it all out, the only supports you can use are what fits inside of (not attached to) a single school size backpack. And you have to walk to stages.

I do PRS to skill up to be confident in firing just one single shot (maybe two) so that I have the ability to take game ethically. PRS provides that but I’d like it to be more realistic. That said, PRS is great. Just not for me to compete on some national stage and I don’t have time and money to spend on 2-day events.
    So........have you ever shot a two day PRS match? Your whole post doesn't make much sense.

This whole thing has killed my shooting:
    The club I was a member at stopped allowing guests, so I had to cancel the NRL22 match I was holding. So I subsequently cancelled my membership.
    My father in law, sister in law, and mother are all in medicine - and the first two have totally scared the life out of wife, so I’ve got that to contend with as well.
    Apparently unless a match has 9 or less participants and we all have our own barricades, It’s been “strongly suggested” that I will not be attending. Until the numbers start trending down.
    so, yay.

Allegheny Sniper Challenge is a very fun match if you can secure a spot. They run them twice a year, Spring/fall

I shoot the monthly club matches we have here in MI which are fun. We had a 2 day pro match here last year and will again this year as well as the guardian that comes up here yearly. I too want to get more into field type matches so will look at sever like Steel Safari.

I have enough primers to get me through august and feel confident I’ll be able to score at least another 1000 by then which will make it to the end of the year and then some. I plan on shooting about the same.

Then I want the stages to be firing from natural positions. No benches, no contraptions. Rocks, dirt, and tree stumps and that’s it. And not 10 shots a stage. Just 5 and the first two shots are worth 2 points to the latter being 1 point. No target should be larger than the vitals of let’s say an Elk. And to round it all out, the only supports you can use are what fits inside of (not attached to) a single school size backpack. And you have to walk to stages.
    You literally described the Riflemans team challenge series in the pacific north west

My clubs has PRS like matches every month - was going to attend but decide against it, finding and replacing the ammo you use up is hard and expensive.. what about those that buy their ammo and don't reload. Still attending or scaling back?

going to try the NRL hunter this year. Luckily we have one sceduled for here in Nebraska. I like the class setups. Basic meaning like it came from the factory with nothing added. Then class weights for the other 2. 12lbs and 16lbs. Power factors that keep out the 6mm's. Looking forward to trying it

The hunter match out in avenal ca was varied course with different stage locations and small targets and a low round count. I thought it was super fun. For the challenge, comraderie and being outside on a nice day.

Attachments

• 0E1B48F7-6C25-4FDF-85A4-070BCD4B5BE1.jpeg
      0E1B48F7-6C25-4FDF-85A4-070BCD4B5BE1.jpeg
      27.8 KB · Views: 57
    • CDE0FFEA-3A71-49E8-992D-D207C365C8B6.jpeg
      CDE0FFEA-3A71-49E8-992D-D207C365C8B6.jpeg
      22.2 KB · Views: 54
    • 41F2882B-1860-4B4A-8D62-E4196775225E.jpeg
      41F2882B-1860-4B4A-8D62-E4196775225E.jpeg
      26 KB · Views: 49
    • D444D61C-F5F3-46D7-B1AB-938A237A9B92.jpeg
      D444D61C-F5F3-46D7-B1AB-938A237A9B92.jpeg
      18.3 KB · Views: 52
    Reactions: adubeau
    Funny you should ask. Literally just posted this announcement:

Unfortunately, I only shot a handful of matches in 2020. Numerous reasons, Covid, out of work, a home construction project, etc. The only two-day match I shot was the big Nightforce ELR match in WY.

I'm done with the typical PRS/NRL matches, the format has become a big turn off for me. I will be concentrating on field style matches only.

I'd like to do the NRL Hunter Series match, but I think the only rifle I own that's under 16-lbs is a Sako TRG in 308 with a 20" barrel. Most of my rifles are in the 18 to 19-lbs range. First thing I need is an accurate scale.

I've been shooting various field style team matches for 10 years now, and that's where my heart is for shooting comps. Can't get enough of them.

The way I see it is that these types of matches have a choice between 3 different things they can focus on. They can go the SAC route and heavily emphasize physical fitness with lots of hiking and land navigation. They can also pattern themselves after Steel Safari (like NRL Hunter has) and focus more heavily on target identification, ranging, and calculation while using natural obstacles/terrain and carrying all gear between stages. Finally they can choose to stick to the standard NRL/PRS format and focus on the shooting itself, with man-made obstacles, shorter stage times, and known targets.

I think it's perfectly reasonable that these three things are distinct from one another in most cases. It would be ridiculous for PRS matches to expect you to find and range targets while shooting from a chain-suspended platform in 2 minutes or less. Similarly it would be absurd for the SAC to give you target locations and distances, or for Steel Safari to force you to shoot targets from 5 different spray painted locations at each stage. There's the extreme/unrealistic physical challenges of the SAC, there's the extreme/unrealistic shooting positions of PRS/NRL, and then there's the

The matches have different focuses and they're meant to appeal to different people. The Steel Safari or NRL Hunter matches are probably the most "realistic" of the bunch, because 99.999% of the population will never have to endure the same grueling physical challenge as the SAC presents and 99.999% of shooters will never encounter the contrived obstacles at PRS/NRL matches outside of those environments. If you want a realistic challenge you'll enjoy the Steel Safari, NRL Hunter, and other similar matches the most. If you want to focus specifically on the shooting or the physical aspects you'll enjoy the extremes on each end of the spectrum like SAC or PRS/NRL matches more.

I like shooting PRS/NRL matches with just one rear bag and one bag for obstacles, because it makes me into a better shooter. I can focus on the same shooting fundamentals from a variety of positions, and since I'm using the same "realistic/non-gamer" techniques for all of them it ensures my practice/competition is directly applicable come hunting season. I feel like a lot of people who claim that PRS/NRL is dominated by people gaming stages with absurd amounts of gear haven't actually been to a PRS/NRL match recently, or at least hasn't seen how the top shooters tackle most stages. The guys who are winning matches aren't the ones using 5 bags and a tripod on every stage, those people are more often than not middle of the pack. The people winning matches are the ones who have perfected their shooting fundamentals and use 1 or 2 bags (usually a bag under or attached to the rifle, and sometimes a large pump pillow to support their body in some way) with no tripods or other unwieldy rear support. Complaining about people gaming stages with gear seems funny to me because those aren't the people who are winning matches or placing well.

Either way, I plan to do some more PRS/NRL matches this year simply because there will be more matches that actually happen nearby without getting cancelled. I'm still having fun and they're still the most readily available options for me nearby. I am interested in trying the NRL Hunter series using my usual hunting setup, however, because it sounds like great practice.

to the original post... I will not be shooting any 2 day PRS/NRL style matches this year. I'm just so tired of almost every stage having the same answer to almost identical problems. Wall barricade - gamechanger. 55gal drum - gamechanger. Tank trap - gamechanger. etc. etc. I will most likely be hitting up a lot of club level 22LR matches and a small handful of club level centerfire matches close to me here in Missouri.

to the original post... I will not be shooting any 2 day PRS/NRL style matches this year. I'm just so tired of almost every stage having the same answer to almost identical problems. Wall barricade - gamechanger. 55gal drum - gamechanger. Tank trap - gamechanger. etc. etc. I will most likely be hitting up a lot of club level 22LR matches and a small handful of club level centerfire matches close to me here in Missouri.

You're stuck in the past bro.

It's fixed gamer plate to rifle + game changer now. Turns any once challenging barricade/obstacle into a steady benchrest position.

Come shoot the Vortex Extreme or WTRC. I'll partner up with you if you need a partner. Break out that Grendel!
    to the original post... I will not be shooting any 2 day PRS/NRL style matches this year. I'm just so tired of almost every stage having the same answer to almost identical problems. Wall barricade - gamechanger. 55gal drum - gamechanger. Tank trap - gamechanger. etc. etc. I will most likely be hitting up a lot of club level 22LR matches and a small handful of club level centerfire matches close to me here in Missour

Reactions: Cjwise5
    I do have to take the obligatory moment to remind many that while yes, a lot of the “answers” are the same for a lot of current matches, most shooters still can’t hit an overly abundant amount of the targets even though the answer is the same.

I completely understand the wish for more/different challenges. But if we can’t hit things with 20lb 6mm off a sandbag, we damn sure won’t hit something off a tree branch with with a 16lb .308.

/end rant and off soap box. Carry on.

For the people that are super jaded about PRS/NRL. Have you ever shot any other rifle based shooting sports, where you literally shoot the exact same paper target from the exact same position(s), in the exact same course of fire, at the exact same distance(s), typically with sighter shots, using extremely regulated rifles and gear? Service rifle, high power, f class, small bore, air rifle, etc. I've shot all of those over the years. If you think precision steel matches are boringly similar, you have no idea. There's a reason PRS/NRL type matches are thriving and the sports I mentioned are stagnant or dying.

Also, you aren't *forced* to approach every stage with a game changer. You can use a small bag and a sling, or no bag, or just a rear bag / tripod, or a bipod on lumpy rocks or off camber props. Nobody is making you shoot a stage in a certain way, making you pick a 6mm over a 6.5 or 30 cal, or making you use a massive concussion inducing muzzle brake instead of a suppressor. A good bag like the gamechanger or fortune cookie hasn't taken away the challenge of figuring out a better position, or transitioning and locating targets quickly, or making good wind calls and corrections. The challenge of shooting isn't gone because you've figured out a game changer works better than a tiny bag, or that a bipod works better than just a gamechanger, no more than figuring out if you work out and eat properly you can get more fit. You still have to execute it better than the next guy if you want to win. And if you aren't winning all the time, why? Wind shifted? Everyone else's gun is heavier? Stage was poorly designed? Clearly it's not an actual test of skill otherwise you would have won? You shoot a 6.5 creed and not a dasher? Everyone else's scope is more expensive?

sorry to chime in since i don't actually compete, but the line outside the local ammo store has made me a bit shy about using the match ammo i have already. i am focusing on seeing how well i can do with M80 ammo in the mean time. :p
    it would be fun to have an informal match just using cheaper M80.

For the people that are super jaded about PRS/NRL. Have you ever shot any other rifle based shooting sports, where you literally shoot the exact same paper target from the exact same position(s), in the exact same course of fire, at the exact same distance(s), typically with sighter shots, using extremely regulated rifles and gear? Service rifle, high power, f class, small bore, air rifle, etc. I've shot all of those over the years. If you think precision steel matches are boringly similar, you have no idea. There's a reason PRS/NRL type matches are thriving and the sports I mentioned are stagnant or dying.

Also, you aren't *forced* to approach every stage with a game changer. You can use a small bag and a sling, or no bag, or just a rear bag / tripod, or a bipod on lumpy rocks or off camber props. Nobody is making you shoot a stage in a certain way, making you pick a 6mm over a 6.5 or 30 cal, or making you use a massive concussion inducing muzzle brake instead of a suppressor. A good bag like the gamechanger or fortune cookie hasn't taken away the challenge of figuring out a better position, or transitioning and locating targets quickly, or making good wind calls and corrections. The challenge of shooting isn't gone because you've figured out a game changer works better than a tiny bag, or that a bipod works better than just a gamechanger, no more than figuring out if you work out and eat properly you can get more fit. You still have to execute it better than the next guy if you want to win. And if you aren't winning all the time, why? Wind shifted? Everyone else's gun is heavier? Stage was poorly designed? Clearly it's not an actual test of skill otherwise you would have won? You shoot a 6.5 creed and not a dasher? Everyone else's scope is more expensive?
    I agree with all your points. I think the NRL/PRS matches are a perfectly viable sport. I just believe there is a better way to do business. I've found a great alternative and will seek out more matches such as Competition Dynamics. The main difference is that CD matches put the responsibility directly back on the shooter, not the MD. The targets for the most part are very forgiving, the ranges don't hardly ever exceed 800 yards, and yet top level shooters walk away from stages with less than 50% hit rates. There's no bitching at RO's because there isn't anything to really bitch about. Or, in the case of Team Safari, the shooters are ROing each other. Calibers don't really matter, equipment doesn't really matter (besides a tripod is a necessity). You really have to try one to understand what I'm preaching.
    I think NRL Hunter is a move in the right direction but I believe they still have some kinks to work out. I've talked with a lot of shooters who would try NRL Hunter, but the $275 match fee is discouraging most. I get match fees and will pay them in stride, but I think NRL Hunter might be missing out on a huge segment of shooters who want to give it a whirl. It's hard for most guys wanting to dip their toes into a sport where the match fee is half the cost of their rifle.

I think NRL Hunter is a move in the right direction but I believe they still have some kinks to work out. I've talked with a lot of shooters who would try NRL Hunter, but the $275 match fee is discouraging most. I get match fees and will pay them in stride, but I think NRL Hunter might be missing out on a huge segment of shooters who want to give it a whirl. It's hard for most guys wanting to dip their toes into a sport where the match fee is half the cost of their rifle.

I like the idea of the hunter series for sure. Seems fun. I already have a 15 lb 6.5 PRC that would work perfectly in fact. I just need to find a match closer to me.

I've only signed up for one two day match this year. I have a bad feeling that, along with the inability to replenish ammo, we are going to have some serious troubles to work through pretty soon. I don't think you are going to see much involvement concerning matches in a few months when the season kicks off.

I will continue to sign up for and shoot as many one day matches within a day-trip length of me as I can find. I have no interest in spending the night anywhere or spending several hundred dollars in match fees. If I start regularly shooting in the top 10 at these matches my opinion may change but the time, expense, and hassle factor of giant two day matches hold zero appeal for me.

Yeah I'm with you along with what I wrote above. I can do the exact same thing at a one day match that I can do at a two day without having to pay for fuel, hotels, exorbitant match fees, days of travel, and spending time with my family (this will become more important in the very near future). I can get home easier from local matches without have to quarantine for Covid V.2, getting the vaccine to fly, or worrying about picking a route if riots pop up on my route home.

I think my days of traveling more than a few hours for a match is in its twilight.

Here's the issue I have with the typical PRS/NRL match, or at least most of the ones I've shot in the last couple years (they were much better before then). They are mostly contrived stages, usually copying some gimmick that the MD saw or heard about from another match. I call foul on the MD for having no imagination (and being lazy) to create a stage that's challenging, but not something that is soo stupid, no one but an exhibition type shooter (Annie Oakley type) would normally perform.

I see this assclown stuff in so-called field style matches from time to time also. i.e. shoot off this wobbly tree branch. That's great if your 6'-4" because the MD says you have to shoot off this particular branch 5'-5" above the ground, and screw the little guys and gals, and it's great for the first few guys shooting that stage in the morning during a calm wind period, but come early afternoon, and the wind is blowing that branch up, down, sideways, you name it. That right there is a poorly designed stage.

A good stage design for example would be to have a pile of rocks, you have a box, perimeter, whatever you have to stay in, or a spot that has to be within reach, and you let the shooter decide what rock he/she shoots off of, and what gear he/she uses.

Telling a shooter they have to shoot off of a bag of beach balls in a match has turned the game into a circus.

Reactions: DaveM
    I plan on shooting a lot of PRS rimfire this year last few years have been so much fun!
    The center fire PRS is great fun but the cost is high for me to try to compete to my satisfaction.
    Reading all the negative about PRS being boring etc etc, Two things stand out 1st we need to keep our shooting sport active stay together make changes bring someone new into the sport and teach them.
    2nd ( not being a jerk) how many people complaining won PRS championship or tried to make changes?
    For me it’s about having fun with other shooters and helping each other out(example I’m taking my buddies 13 year old daughter to a PRS rim fire training class and a practice match on Saturday ) not sure if I will shoot I want her to have the best opportunity to learn and have fun.
    just my 2 cents

Reactions: OREGUN and theLBC
    For the people that are super jaded about PRS/NRL. ......
    For me it's all about having fun and testing skills, but only skills that matter to me. I'm very individualistic about it. What I'm being asked to do in competition absolutely must be practical and be easily transferred over to hunting otherwise I don't like it.
    Some folks equate a challenge or the feel of competition to having fun. That's not the way I see it. I'm not a super competitive person, so I actually don't value that part much at all.
    I'm not arguing with you. Your points are valid. They just don't line up with the reasons why I like to shoot or train.
    So...back to my original post, I won't be doing PRS/NRL matches much at all anymore because many of the stages are contrived, as a lot of other folks have said. One day club stuff is fine though, because I don't have to worry about a points race, and I get to hang out with all the people I enjoy. That's a good day.

Any chance you'll be in Iowa in August? Had a great time last year borrowing your scope and was looking forward to it again!

JK..................new rifle and scope this year.

Reactions: Cjwise5
    I just built a rifle....I got what components I could. Theoretically, I have about enough primers and powder to burn out the barrel. Light on bullets. I have less than 1k.

I don't know that I'm going to burn up what I have...not knowing when I will be able to replace it.

I had plans to shoot about 100rds a week and start learning.

The hoarding and insane prices some guys seem to be paying on gunbroker etc is just fueling the fire. I'm all for having enough stock on hand. But there are people buying just in hopes of flipping at insane profits and others buying just because they saw it for sale and its hard to find...even though they won't need it. I know guys that hardly ever shoot buying ammo they'll never use.

Only a few powder and primer manufacturers. They can only make so much so fast....and I bet the major majority goes to loaded ammo not handloaders.

Id like to hope this blows over soon...but I don't see it letting up anytime soon....so, my shooting will be minimal till there's availability again.

Here at Red Flannel Gun Club (MI)there’s no lack of shooters this past Saturday we had a full house for PRS training (class room in the morning) lunch then a mini match.
    I had an awesome time taking my best friend‘s daughter(13yrs) she had a great time and she shot very good considering my Vudoo was to big for her (shorten it up much as I could(MPA) problem now Her dad will need to spend some money on a 22 that will fit her.(If we can find one)
    If your bored or want something more out of the shooting world take a new shooter out it’s a great feeling for everyone.
    Like to thank Francis for a great day of training and fun............