• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Seen This Before?

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Good friend of mine (very experienced rifleman) purchased a Christensen Arms MPR in 300PRC. He got the rifle and sent the following pics:

o8QYgpHl.jpg

BC0vE0Rl.jpg

And this pic was taken after barrel being scrubbed out with Gunslick, Butch's and CLP:
9uqGyR6l.jpg

First two patches were "very blue." He said the blue went way not long after those two patches.

Any of you guys seen this before? Could test firings caused this amount of copper buildup? Seems excessive...

He's sending it back to Christensen for follow up, but thought I'd see if any hiders had observed this before.

I’ve had all kinda of barrels that copper fouled bad at first. Sometimes just the barrel, sometimes the bullets (Barnes are notorious). Really not uncommon though but some worse than others.

Throw the gunslick, butches, and CLP in the trash and get some bore tech eliminator. Clean it with that and get some more rounds on it and repeat. It will go away.

So this is how the rifle came. He has not even put one round through it. I asked him how he even came about seeing this type of coloration to begin with, here’s what he said, “I noticed it when I pulled the muzzle break that everything looked al red. Not like copper slid across it, more like it was coated in a layer of red. The pics I sent you dont do it justice. There was enough shit standing out to me that I saw it naked eye and then decided to follow up with the bore scope.”

Get some Eliminator AND an aluminum jag from Boretech. The blue color is probably remnants of the other cleaner and a brass jag.

Oh, and BTW......how does the barrel shoot ?

Try KG 12 copper remover it works very well. Last thing would be JB bore and kroil oil , it will knock that copper out no problem.

Two months ago I purchased a new ridgeline same issue I sent it back to Christensen and they said they rebarreled it headspace it and sent it back to me.all in three weeks time it a very good shooting rifle they gave absolutely no reason for what the red stuff was in the barrel

Well, I can understand everyone saying that he should have at least shot it, but after he was able to describe what was coming out of the barrel, I probably wouldn't have messed around with either. I've been through a number of firearms and barrels and never had any "red" coming out of any of them. Furthermore, we were able to compare the pics above with pics taken just after he shot a weekend-long PR match. The fouling in that match rifle looked nothing like what was in the CA barrel.

There's no reason to have a barrel with red coloring in it. Even if it shoots well, what if it is some form of oxidation? It may shoot one hole groups for X amount of rounds today, but what about tomorrow?

I contacted a well-known smith and sent him the photos. When I told him the rifle hadn't even been shot by the end user, he said, "that's not good, send it back."