• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone shooting a 6.5 creedmoor gasser?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I would like to build a 6.5 gasser and wondered if anyone here was shooting one so I may get some hints on what works and what does not ?
    Thanks bill

Re: anyone shooting a 6.5 creedmoor gasser?

I bought an off the rack DPMS LR6.5 in 2010 to shoot in long range competitions. I had never done a long range competition before, nor had I ever shot in any formal rifle competition...

Since it was my first competition, I had to shoot with the Masters. I got on target immediately. I was the limiting part of the package.

I have some little changes that I've done, and I'm in the process of having another barrel made (Kreiger), but I think it's a great platform in addition to a round that really seems to work well...cuts through the wind very nicely which really was nice being a novice with reading the wind.

I have put a lot of time researching the Creedmoor AR-it seemed like the way to go in 6.5 mm. I took the plunge and ordered one from JP a month ago. I already have loaded ammo and components, dies, ect.....just marking days off the calendar now.

I have put 350 rounds down the pipe in 2 months on my 6.5 Creedmoor, it is THE MOST ACCURATE GUN I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

6.5 Creed build on a DPMS platform

It makes me look like a good shooter.

I hunt with mine so no details to provide on long range shooting. Yet...

How about some pictures of rifles and targets to make this more interesting..!!

I'm also a 6.5creedmoor fan with my DPMS LR-6.5

Here is mine. Mega MaTen upper/lower set. JP 22" barrel, bolt, low mass bolt carrier, silent capture spring, AR Gold trigger,etc.
    I have only 60 rounds through it with factory Hornady 140 Amax ammo. Shooting about 2650 fps. It's a shooter. About 9.5 mils to 1000 yards and 5 to 600 yards.

I would recommend a adjustable gas block whatever you decide to do. This thing was so over gassed. I have the gas almost turned all the way off. Once I got it tuned it shoots VERY smooth.

Take care,Stan

Cant tell you how it shoots yet but I hope to have it up and running soon. POF upper,lower with POF rail and buttstock, adjustable gas block with 24" barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmore

315_zpsa4f8844a.jpg

319_zps3d95abf3.jpg

I have an LRP07 on order from JP chambered in 6.5CM. I hope to get it before a federal and/or CT ban.

to me the 6.5 creedmoor is THE caliber for a semi auto AR. It is far superior to the 308 in this platform, it is not even funny.

DPMS 6.5 creed here too, it is a real shooter, I am thinking heavily of getting the 6.5 barrel for my LMT MWS. This round, like others have stated is amazing, mostly due to how it just doesn't give a rat's ass about the wind.

It really shines at 600~800 to me. I need one in bolt too, yes I said need!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    It really shines at 600~800 to me. I need one in bolt too, yes I said need! </div></div>My thoughts too. I think that will be my next purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Cant tell you how it shoots yet but I hope to have it up and running soon. POF upper,lower with POF rail and buttstock, adjustable gas block with 24" barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmore

315_zpsa4f8844a.jpg

319_zps3d95abf3.jpg
    </div></div>

Super nice rifle!

I went with 6.5 creedmoor in my AR-10 build and its eaisly sub moa with half moa being the norm. The rifle shot so well I decided to stick to the caliber for my newest bolt gun build using a badger action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that POF stock.

Where'd you get it? </div></div>

Cant tell you where I got it
    whistle.gif
    I will tell you that POF reportedly made only 50 or so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that POF stock.

Cant tell you where I got it
    whistle.gif
    I will tell you that POF reportedly made only 50 or so </div></div>

I have only seen a couple for sale here on the hide. Now I want one. If you ever want to give up your source let me know.
    smile.gif

The stock came from a POF rep/employee, unfortunately there is no source since the number of units produced was so low, I may sell it but there is a complete rifle attached to it
    wink.gif

I cant confirm that only 50 had been made, but the source of that # was from POF so I take it as fact.

I built one from an AR10T, replaced the barrel with a GAP/Bartlien. Shoots great, but as was mentioned above - WAY , WAY overgassed. One weekend, I'll build a adjustable gas block for it, barrel diameter is .875, and I have not found one in the size needed yet.

Have also a AIAX/Bartlein in 6.5 Creed, best rifle I have. Kid shoots a TRG22 in 6.5 CM, and the list goes on.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that POF stock.

I got one from Hogan. I saw it on their website, I called and they had a few black one's left. This is like 3-4 months ago. They stopped making them. Not sure if any left...

It gets a little colder than a PRS stock. I ended up going with leather on the cheekpiece.

The 6.5 Creed is anemic in a gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One weekend, I'll build a adjustable gas block for it, barrel diameter is .875, and I have not found one in the size needed yet.</div></div>

No need to build one...

There's several manufacturers that build adjustable gas blocks for that measurement.

PRI Adjustable gas blocks w/ gas tube
    http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186813&CAT=4274

Paladin Machine makes them to order. I have a 3-way adjustable one
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2211828

Talk to Tony or the guys of Team Blaster here---he won the Oregon State Sniper Challenge---theirs are custom POF's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5 Creed is anemic in a gas gun. </div></div>

Explain please Graham?

You will loose velocity in any gas gun when compared to a bolt gun. When compared to the 308, or many other potential calibers for the AR10 style platform, I feel the 6.5CM is the caliber of choice. I am running a 24" barrel with the Creedmore, cant tell you what the velocity will be yet. If you plan on running a 20" barrel than maybe the creedmore isnt the round for you, but it still trumps the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't get velocity. </div></div>

You can get the lighter bullets (123 amax/smk) up to 2910 fps.

The 139/140 class bullets up to 2740

This is according to CopperCreek website which developed these loads on a 22"
    Gap 10.

<a href="http://coppercreekammo.com/index.php?
    main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=167" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Copper Creek website</a>

Yup: A gas gun will likely work better with the lighter bullets -and the heavier bullets will likely be better in that caliber.