• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone shooting Remington 260?

I like the 260AI
I get 2850 with the 139 scenar in a 22 inch barrel and cases last forever
B6FB73DE-AE67-44BB-BA95-9D7216F458A6.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
I started in the .260 club when I bought a .260 gasser in 2016. I felt the shoulder design was better for the semi-auto's action. I wasn't disappointed in accuracy or velocity, although the gasser prefers the 130s and 136s over heavier loads. I kept the gasser and bought a .260 Mausingfield, then a succession of .260 Accuracy Internationals. While velocity isn't everything, the original Prime gives me 2900fps in the AI and I have loads up to the 140gr class that are dead on for where I shoot out to 1,000.

Reactions: BigRed308
Dead primer pockets in 2-5 reloads.

Well its been a while since I replied to this thread and deleted some of my comments ,lol . Anyway do to unexpected problems at home I won't go into.
Let me tell you my experiences concerning the 260.
I will only go as far as saying that through LOAD TESTING I have gone really high in charge weights with no problems. Would I shoot these in competition? No! But I have gotten some really high velocities with out wrecking brass.
Have I shot my reloads more than expected? Definitely! And they have held up well. Probably 5 time and have considered hunting with them only because I've tested at temperatures in the 70's and I never hunt in warmer weather .
I'm NOT saying to try this as most rifles aren't set up to do this. But when I setup my 260's I know what I'm doing!
This is not with some special brass like people are claiming to achieve with their 6.5 creed!

I may have to delete this post also.🥺

I‘m really enjoying a .260. Built a Hunter off an impact action, bugholes spun #3 Brux bbl, and a McMillan Game Hunter. It’s a hammer so far. Working up loads with Horn. 143ELDX and Berger140VLDH. I run a Creed in games, so not opposed to owning both.
920C0F1A-25AA-4AB7-87FE-73D94D0C54EF.jpeg

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
I got a new 260rem on the way 18" shorty. It's a stock Remington 700 BA 260rem in a XLR Carbon.

My load is load it on a dillon press and redding power thrower make it a beater gun.

I have 140rdfs and lapua brass. Whats the pet loads that seem to work across the board.

You could use the 260 brass and make it a 6.5 SLR, I am on my 3rd barrel and when I shoot this one out I will get another.

Reactions: johnnycat
I understand👍but powder charges are usually good starting points .
As far as RDF's probably not much info.
I haven't shot them in a 260 as I'm pretty well vested in 140 VLD but I have shot them in 223's and 308 and been pleased
Good luck on your quest.

Reactions: Eric32
I shoot the 130 RDF's in both my 6.5 creed and SLR, H4350 will not work you will have to load Varget or a similar burn rate. The 140 RDF's I did load H 4350 but the 130's just shot better.

Between the boys and I we have like five 6.5CM guns and three 260 Rem barrels/guns.

I started or had built the 260 guns before the 6.5CM was really around. Only reason I have the 260 guns.

Now with more options for brass and loaded ammo with the 6.5CM there really is no reason to go the 260 Rem. unless you just really want one or your that much in love with it.

No difference in accuracy between them.

Yes you can get say 50-100fps faster with the 260 Rem. but in the grand scheme of things...even a 100fps isn't a game changer.

Wow! Did Frank ever slam the 260?!
Wait till the 6 takes over the games and see what he has to say?

Right now on midway they only have 2 brands of brass for 260 (Lapua and Nosler) and that is exactly the same things available for 6.5CM. Why does it matter how many options are available for brass as long as the brand that everyone recommends is in stock? Buy a few hundred pieces and then suddenly brass availability doesn't matter.

In 1994 I built a 6.5x308 wildcat. A few years later Rem brought out the 260 Rem. I still have my 6.5x308 + two Savage 260 Rems. All 1/8 twist & very accurate with what ever bullet I wish to shoot. Over the years they have proved to be very elk capable when using one of the copper mono bullets. This past season it was proved again. Reasonable recoil & a plentiful supply of "reasonably" priced 308 brass keeps me well stocked. One pass thru my 260 full length sizer, load & shoot. No trimming or neck turning required. Simple. Elk in the freezer. Elk remains shown. Super easy round to load. If it " aint" broke don't fix it.

Attachments

• Bones 001.JPG
    Bones 001.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: Graywolf.260
Between the boys and I we have like five 6.5CM guns and three 260 Rem barrels/guns.

I started or had built the 260 guns before the 6.5CM was really around. Only reason I have the 260 guns.

Now with more options for brass and loaded ammo with the 6.5CM there really is no reason to go the 260 Rem. unless you just really want one or your that much in love with it.

No difference in accuracy between them.

Yes you can get say 50-100fps faster with the 260 Rem. but in the grand scheme of things...even a 100fps isn't a game changer.
Sorry Frank but the Crudemoor just don’t have the coolness
FBA97F44-BD30-48D8-BE9B-90274536DB72.jpeg

To the OP,
if you’re already shooting 6.5 Creed why change unless you’re doing something different just to be different. If youre hand loading, do want ya want.
If shooting factory ammo, do the Creed unless you wanna step up to
the 6.5 PRC.
I did a 260 for my son and myself because we have been set up for 260 for years and didn’t have to change anything.
if I was doing it again I would Prob do a 260AI or a 7SAW. My bro built a 260AI
and it takes a bit more time for loads, but it’s a hammer and he gets great brass life
and the velocity from a 22 inch barrel that we’re getting from a 27-28 inch 260.
I know you already have a barrel, but selling that and picking up a 7 wouldn’t be hard, and the 7SAW is interesting and barrel life of the 7 will be better. So that could be a choice and doing the 7 SAW is less brass prep than a 260 AI.
All about what you want to play with.
A 25 Creed or other 25 could would be an option as well. Those 131 blackjacks have an insane BC and I hear the new Berger 25 bullets are nice as well.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
To the OP,
if you’re already shooting 6.5 Creed why change unless you’re doing something different just to be different. If youre hand loading, do want ya want.
If shooting factory ammo, do the Creed unless you wanna step up to
the 6.5 PRC.
I did a 260 for my son and myself because we have been set up for 260 for years and didn’t have to change anything.
if I was doing it again I would Prob do a 260AI or a 7SAW. My bro built a 260AI
and it takes a bit more time for loads, but it’s a hammer and he gets great brass life
and the velocity from a 22 inch barrel that we’re getting from a 27-28 inch 260.
I know you already have a barrel, but selling that and picking up a 7 wouldn’t be hard, and the 7SAW is interesting and barrel life of the 7 will be better. So that could be a choice and doing the 7 SAW is less brass prep than a 260 AI.
All about what you want to play with.
A 25 Creed or other 25 could would be an option as well. Those 131 blackjacks have an insane BC and I hear the new Berger 25 bullets are nice as well.
I like oddball cartridges, and a 25-06 AI with 131s would be SICK.

.260 AI, that truly steps on the heels of the 6.5-284.
Or, be dignified about it and build a 7-08.
I had a 260 AI RPR that I ended up shying away from. I didn't care for the extra chambering effort with the 40deg shoulder, and the performance just wasn't worth the fireforming effort. The 7-08 on the other hand, love it. Little more energy than a 6.5 and the ATips I was running made it a strong competitor to any of the intermediates 308-based intermediates

i've have a bartlein M24 blank .264 and an impact SA with nothing attached. I've have both a standard and mag bolt for it. Both have been laying around collecting dust. Thinking of going 260 as i don't need another 6.5CM as i have 2 now and a 6.5SS. Tried doing a seach on here, but didn't find anything. I've got some brass and dies i picked up recently , plenty of bullets and powder to load. Is it worth wasting money on chambering a barrel for. I was thinking a couple years ago it was a hot commodity, but haven't seem much lately. I'm sure resale would b better with a chambered 6.5CM. I'm sending a 6CM barrel to DS Tatical to get threaded, and figured i'd send this along and save some shipping cost. They did a chamber job for me recently for the 6.5SS and did a heck of good job. Thoughts? Thanks
What are you doing with it? If you have a 0.535 bf, why not go to something bigger like a 6.5 prick?

Turk 260 deer 20211025_164301.jpg

In September I built rifles and in October I went hunting.
260 Remington throated out to 3.1" AOL, very light rifle shoots 1/2 moa
1903 Turkish Mauser in 260 with Bartlein barrel I shortened both ends and retapered.

Attachments

• 3.1 in 260 1903 Turk 0.5 in  group 100 yards 20211021_102308.jpg
    3.1 in 260 1903 Turk 0.5 in group 100 yards 20211021_102308.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 25
Best options since u have the .264 blank in hand:

A. Just cut another 6.5cm and shoot it when you burn your others out

B. Sell/trade the blank for a different caliber that you don't have that fills a need/want that you have.

C. Sell blank and use it for gas money or something.

If u want the .257 cal, just buy a .257 blank, cut a 25cm, buy bullets and a neck bushing for it and use your current CM brass and dies.

Reactions: Stevo86
Do a 260AI. Loved the round. A bit impractical for competitions but for a secondary gun or belly gun it's a ton of fun.

You guys just need to start shooting the newer 25 cal stuff and you would forget about all this 6.5/260 debacle…. 😎
Ha your crappy 25 cal ain't going to blow the smithereens out of an elk like the 6.5 does...

bones-001-jpg.7788770

Yeah there's some waste but that elk didn't know what hit him and no field dressing.

• Haha
Reactions: Dot3
You gotta find the square root of the preposition then times it by like [takes off shoes and socks and starts counting]...... 27