• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone still shooting 7mm 08?

So, looking at the chart and what I can get locally, Varget, Staball Match & 6.5 should do well for replacing H4895 and RL-15? Both shot lights out with 120g TTSX, but I’m out and can’t find either powder now.
That chart is straight from Hodgdon's website, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.

That chart is straight from Hodgdon's website, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.
I thought so, just contemplating the benefits of which one to run with. The problem comes in with having 5 different 7-08’s to load for. Even with good labeling, it gets messy when Memsahib, Jr or Mom just grabs ammo.

So, looking at the chart and what I can get locally, Varget, Staball Match & 6.5 should do well for replacing H4895 and RL-15? Both shot lights out with 120g TTSX, but I’m out and can’t find either powder now.
StaBall Match is supposed to be the same burn rate as Varget, but in a spherical ball powder compared to an extruded (Varget) powder. But if you can get Varget locally, I'd stick with Varget since we all know it's been proven to be temp stable over the years. I just ordered another 10 lbs. case of it because most of my target rifles use Varget (.308 Win, .260 Rem, etc...) and I have some great loads for 7mm-08 and others with it. But if you can find StaBall 6.5 locally, grab a pound and see how well it works. Or, grab an 8 lbs. jug just incase it does work great, then you're covered for a while. But with only a 120gr bullet, Varget would be about the best option. Pushing something in the 150+ grain category, I'd say step up to StaBall 6.5 for the added velocity and slower burn.

Reactions: Modoc
I thought so, just contemplating the benefits of which one to run with. The problem comes in with having 5 different 7-08’s to load for. Even with good labeling, it gets messy when Memsahib, Jr or Mom just grabs ammo.
Well, Varget will be fine from 120-180gr bullets if you wanted to. Hell, I've got a few loads for .308's with 210gr bullets and Varget, and they shoot amazing...But they're SLOW (2,300-2,400 FPS range). But you will get max performance with 150gr+ bullets using StaBall 6.5 in the 7mm-08.

Well, Varget will be fine from 120-180gr bullets if you wanted to. Hell, I've got a few loads for .308's with 210gr bullets and Varget, and they shoot amazing...But they're SLOW (2,300-2,400 FPS range). But you will get max performance with 150gr+ bullets using StaBall 6.5 in the 7mm-08.
Well, I have a pound each of Match and 6.5 to work with. Will just have to see which works best with mono-metal bullets. The joys!

Do you have access to Big Game? It’s all I use.

P

The point I’m trying to make, and doing a poor job of, is if you want to hot rod a 7mm-08, why don’t you just buy a 280 Rem? And I get the LA vs SA argument, but it doesn’t resonate, given that we’re talking about less than half an inch in difference.

P
I get the point you’re making, but I wouldn’t call it hot rodding if we’re just taking advantage of modern components/propellants. That’s like saying this modern small block and that old big block make the same power, why not just use the old big block?

7-08 let’s me easily run a 180 eldm at 2500-2600 fps. I don’t need to push that bullet any faster for my specific uses, so there’s no need to make the jump to the next class of case capacity.

Reactions: Modoc