• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

anyone tried Hodgon Benchmark with 168gn SMK 308?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I got a lb of it for free and figure did give it a shot. I usually use Varget so its a new load for me. But if it sux im not going to waste my time using it in the 308. Ill save it for the 223.

Re: anyone tried Hodgon Benchmark with 168gn SMK 308?

ps. yes i used the google search for SH. i saw some for heavier weights and other calibers.

In my limited experience, it works well with light bullets. I could not get the velocity I was looking for and pressures got a little touchy as I approached published max. I tried 168 smk’s and 155 a-max’s. I settled on a moderate charge with the a-max. It printed pretty on paper, but the velocity was just not there for me. This was a few yrs ago, but I clearly remember pressure spiking on me, so approach max with caution. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my limited experience, it works well with light bullets. I could not get the velocity I was looking for and pressures got a little touchy as I approached published max. I tried 168 smk’s and 155 a-max’s. I settled on a moderate charge with the a-max. It printed pretty on paper, but the velocity was just not there for me. This was a few yrs ago, but I clearly remember pressure spiking on me, so approach max with caution. YMMV. </div></div>

Exactly mirrors my experience, though I only loaded for 180smk in 308. It grouped super nice, but 40gr was tops, and left me at about 2450fps.

I remember showing up to a 100 yard varmint match with that ammo and won with a perfectly clean score, including perfect hits on all bonus targets.

Reactions: Brokegunner

I didnt try it with MKs but with a 168AMAX, shot a pretty nice 3 shot group, think I loaded 1 grain from the max.

I used it for my AR10T, and it shot great. Groups ran 1"-1.5"@ 100 Meters. The reason I used it was because it metered so nice from a Redding BR powder measure, and I could load lots of ammo fast for the gas gun. That gun liked 168 SMK Moly bullets.

I use Varget dropped from my Chargemaster in my bolt guns, which shoot way less than 1 MOA.

thanks for all the replies, i loaded own 10% from published. Im just punching paper at 1-300 yards on this one so maybe it will be good. Thanks again for the warnings on pressure.