• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone tried scope base bedding with vibra-tite vc3?

MCHammer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2021
San Diego, CA
After less than 100 rounds, the factory EGW scope base on my Savage 110 came loose. And it is not even a heavy recoil caliber....just 6.5 CM.

Anyhow. i was aware of this potential issue on savage rifles so while the rifle was BNIB, I degreased the scope base screws and threads, reinstalled with blue loctite, and torqued to recommended 20in/lb. So my next remedy is to try bedding the scope base. I know people have used epoxy like JB weld. But i have a bottle of vibra-tite vc3 on the workbench. Given that vc3 is a resin and supposedly can dampen vibration, has anyone tried using it as a bedding agent?

Thanks.

Get a gunsmith to dowel pin it. Screws are not designed for side load. @308pirate can try to big-brain on this, but screws are not designed for side load like recoil.

• Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
So my next remedy is to try bedding the scope base. I know people have used epoxy like JB weld. But i have a bottle of vibra-tite vc3 on the workbench. Given that vc3 is a resin and supposedly can dampen vibration, has anyone tried using it as a bedding agent?

If you want to drive a screw, use a screw driver. If you want to make a liquid shim (which is what bedding is) use a solid cure epoxy.

Reactions: camocorvette