• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Use an Actual AR Lower to Build a 22AR Anymore?

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I have a no longer used RRA lower. Registered SBR and a couple cans laying around. All I hear about is dedicated 22's like the S&W and others.
Is there a quality conversion for the fairly picky? Is this even done these days?

Yes
i bought a CMMG upper (dedicated 22lr upper, 1n16 twist)
had a para AR 15 lower setting in safe, perfect fit.
after break in, runs great no problems
friend runs a CMMG conversion, his does OK but pass 50yd,the dedicated barrel,
Out shoots his

Last edited:
Tactical Solutions m4 dedicated 22 upper. Very good..took awhile to get broken in. Very accurate with CCI standard Velocity and with the sparrow suppressor, very quiet as well.

As alan98 post I also use,CCI standard, bulk box stuff, an run the same hush puppy can. I am trying some winchester subs, hollow point now.so far so good.
not looking for 1 hole groups with rifle, just tree rat head size group,
an for that it does fine. Also 6"plates speed match,
but i have ran a clip of center X an iI would say groups as good at 100yd, as my sons super duper 10/22.
what I do like is it is a lite set up tree rat rifle, as far as weight
YO

I've got a Frankenstein rimfire upper that sits on an LMT lower and wears a Burris 1-4x. It functions with a variety of bulk-pack stuff (standard and high-velocity). It's accurate enough to run my dueling tree at 25 yards; can't say I've really done any precision work and don't really plan on it.

Previously, I had a TacSol upper that was amazingly accurate, but very picky about ammo to the point where I just got frustrated.

My friend has a CMMG 20" A4 style upper.
It was surprisingly accurate with Winchester bulk 333 or 777, whatever it's called.
He just swaps uppers on his SPR.

I have a DPMS upper (rebranded Nordic) on my lower with a Geisselle SD3G. It's a lot of fun and eats all kinds of ammo.

If you search around the net you'll find lot of positive reviews of the Nordic and newer DPMS brand Nordic uppers. They are a blowback style similar to a 10/22 so they are very reliable.

Check with Compass Lake Engineering, their upper is very good.

Might also check with Accuracy Speaks.

I run a spikes with a lothar walther barrel. It's never given me any problems with a thing I've fed it. It hits cans at 100 yards. It's heavier than the s&w I bought for my son but out shoots it pretty easy.

Nordic 18" upper on whatever lower is free. Very accurate, eats subs, standard, and high velocity rounds. Usually shot suppressed, and will run a long time between cleanings. It has taken a lot of varmints.

Built mine around a CMMG SS Bolt & TACCOM 7" Barrel. Its very accurate and very reliable. Makes ammo disposal super fun!!!

I run a CMMG .22 upper on a couple of different AR lowers, works really well.

I've got a franken upper that I just function tested but seems to run well so far. Non name upper receiver, CMMG conversion kit, and a TACCOM 16" M4 barrel. With an unzereod red dot on the top, I was able to consistently hit an 8" plate at 100 yards once I figured out the hold off. Functioned 100% with American Eagle AE22 load. Haven't tried any others yet, though.

ETA: This upper was used on one of standard AR lowers with a Geissele SSA trigger. No issues.

Last edited:
Tactical Solutions m4 dedicated 22 upper. Very good..took awhile to get broken in. Very accurate with CCI standard Velocity and with the sparrow suppressor, very quiet as well.

yep, its the best i am aware of. mine will cloverleaf at 40yds with a 1-4 optic. stupid quiet also. i didnt have to nreak in my SPX

Yep. Standard lower/lpk with the better magazine adapter for the M&P 15 magazines under a CMMG dedicated 22lr upper and CMMG SS 22lr bolt/carrier.

I have a full CMMG .22 AR. I got it 4 years ago when they could be had for $500. At that price it's worth it. But for what they charge now it's not worth the money.

Especially since it's functionally inferior in almost every way to my M&P 15-22.

It's less accurate, less reliable, and more finicky than the Smith. It also fires out of battery with surprising regularity. Eye protection is mandatory.

I'm using a tactical solutions upper. We have 4 in my family. A few were picky during break in but now all run like champs. We use cci, win m22 mostly Have used some bulk win, federal, and remington.

My SBR

I made mine out of a delton lower ccmg bolt conversion and barrel I had cut to 5", a spikes 22 upper receiver and odds and ends in my spare parts bin.
only thing not show in my sparrow that stick out about 1"

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 14