• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use Midwest MP 450 Powder

whatsupdoc

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 12, 2017
    So Is anyone using Midwest MP 450 powder in a 223, or really in anything?

Good, bad or ugly? Stuff is cheap enough but there are no reviews that I can find.

IS that the one that supposed to be like WC-844? @Pandom has thread going. wc-844 is like h335, not good for heavies, fine for 40-60g bullets.

Reckon I am going to find out about this powder. Read enough good things about the new powder sold by AR online that I decided on 32 lbs worth. $18 a lb after discount and my best buy for the last year+ has been AR Plus and Tactical Rifle at $25 a lb. Might order a lb of Ramshot Tac also just for comparisons sake.

So I grabbed some MP450, 2 shot group tests in a 26" Criterion 223 match chamber 700 rifle.
    It was POURING rain today so not really a good day for any serious testing but I simply wanted to get a feel
    for the velocity numbers this powder would produce.

I shot a control load 77 SMK 2.255 Coal, 23.0 8208 XBR that produced 2835 FPS.
    No pressure signs at all and accuracy looks promising concidering the amount of bullet jump for this rifles chamber.

68gr Hornady BTHP coal 2.255
    23.3 2769 FPS
    23.7 2814 FPS
    24.1 2873 FPS
    24.5 2942 FPS

77 SMK coal 2.255
    22.3 2642 FPS
    22.7 2654 FPS
    23.1 2700 FPS
    23.5 2743 FPS

1695060377832.png

Tried some higher charges. 3 shots each.

77 SMK coal 2.255
    23.7 2768 FPS
    23.9 2763 FPS
    24.1 2786 FPS
    24.3 2829 FPS

Midwest powders are solid. MP410 is solid for .223, 24 gr. Under a 55gr. Fmj and I was getting very good accuracy.

Reactions: reubenski
    So what do you think? Worth buying?
    Accuracy was very good in my bolt gun, although that particular rifle shoots most everything well. Now that I have some data I will test it in a gasser and see what it will do.

I think it is a bargain at the delivered price, worst case I will use it for blasting 308 and 223 ammo but dont think that is where I will use this.

The only negative thought is if I like it will I be able to order it again?

Accuracy was very good in my bolt gun, although that particular rifle shoots most everything well. Now that I have some data I will test it in a gasser and see what it will do.

I think it is a bargain at the delivered price, worst case I will use it for blasting 308 and 223 ammo but dont think that is where I will use this.

The only negative thought is if I like it will I be able to order it again?
    Indications are this will be good powder. I wonder just how long prices on ammo and components will moderate and intend to buy more then I need at this price. The three lowest price powders for AR's on Ammo Seek today were AR+, Match Rifle and Tactical rifle at $28 per pound + hazmat and shipping.

Where are you getting that powder?

Where are you getting that powder?
    American Reloading. I have seen that warning before and all I can say is I have ordered from American a number of times this last year+ and they have saved me a boat load of money on powder and hard to find premium bullets. They are down to mostly out of stock on powder now with a 16lb order of MP 450 being the only one left in stock.

I had trouble with one order being sent with half the bullets. I used their contact us form online and never had any luck. Then I found another email address which was [email protected] and never had another problem.

Yeah, I saw he had been scammed and rather stupidly. But even when I did a rudimentary search for the powder, the results also seemed scammy. I will check out American Reloading. I'm always looking for alternatives.

I just got an 8lb of their 450 from them a couple weeks ago. IT took them a couple weeks to ship is all.

That doesn't look too promising for what I wanted it to do in the 20 practical either. I have other stuff to try it in. Might match up with the 6 arc 22-250 or 6.5 creed with 120 class bullets better.

Reactions: reubenski
    Well I am an idiot. MP450 wouldn't have been a great of a choice for my 20 practical. Luckily I got MP 501.

The CS at American Reloading is awesome. I had a 16 pound shipment of powder go MIA after a tornado a few years ago.

They sent me another 16 pounds without proof or anything no questions asked.

I've also had good luck with their pulled 175 SMKs. Shoot as good as virgins IMO.

Just got 8# mp 450 for .223. I have 12 to 1300 50gr v max so I thought I would give it a shot. It says to use TAC data -10%. TAC with that round is min 22.5 max 25 so figured I would start at 22

I was going to sell my 223 R700 before I found this stuff. It was 2” 100yards at best. I was trying everything possible. I bought 8lb jug of it and with 25.5 and 50grain Z-max
    It will hold 1/2”groups all day…sadly this is absolutely the only load that works worth a shit in this rifle

I was going to sell my 223 R700 before I found this stuff. It was 2” 100yards at best. I was trying everything possible. I bought 8lb jug of it and with 25.5 and 50grain Z-max
    It will hold 1/2”groups all day…sadly this is absolutely the only load that works worth a shit in this rifle
    A change in powder won't typically shrink groups by 1.5" Did you change bullets at the same time?

Yes but it’s the strangest thing how bad it shoots everything else. It’s just happenstance that I started this powder and found the Vmax 50’s with the little boat tail run amazingly

That doesn't look too promising for what I wanted it to do in the 20 practical either. I have other stuff to try it in. Might match up with the 6 arc 22-250 or 6.5 creed with 120 class bullets better.

Older post I know, but try Leverevolution for that 20 Practical with the 40gr Vmax. Mine is the Tactical, but by all reports case capacity and ballistics are the same between the Tactical and Practical 20s. (I went with the Tactical because it's actually simpler to make brass; just a single pass of 5.56 brass through a Hornady FL sizing die and it's ready to use, no fireforming needed, or swapping bushings from a 223 die as some of the online resources recommended for the Practical.)

I'm using a 24" AR with this load to push the 40gr Vmax at 3,885 fps avg in converted LC brass and a CCI 450 primer, and accuracy is excellent. For cooler months, it takes 29.0gr to do that in my rifle; for hotter summer shooting back it down a bit to match the same velocity. This load (like most Lever loads) shoots best when pushed near max, but I've got 6-8 loads on some of the brass with no signs of primer pocket loosening so it's not unreasonably hot. The powder charge may be different in your rifle of course.

Incidentally, that 40gr Vmax shoots better than any other bullet I've tried from that rifle, and it likes this Lever load best of all. The little 24gr NTX bullet will do 4,800 over AA2200 from the same rifle too, but terminal effect on sage rats is better with the 40gr Vmax.

Older post I know, but try Leverevolution for that 20 Practical with the 40gr Vmax. Mine is the Tactical, but by all reports case capacity and ballistics are the same between the Tactical and Practical 20s. (I went with the Tactical because it's actually simpler to make brass; just a single pass of 5.56 brass through a Hornady FL sizing die and it's ready to use, no fireforming needed, or swapping bushings from a 223 die as some of the online resources recommended for the Practical.)

I'm using a 24" AR with this load to push the 40gr Vmax at 3,885 fps avg in converted LC brass and a CCI 450 primer, and accuracy is excellent. For cooler months, it takes 29.0gr to do that in my rifle; for hotter summer shooting back it down a bit to match the same velocity. This load (like most Lever loads) shoots best when pushed near max, but I've got 6-8 loads on some of the brass with no signs of primer pocket loosening so it's not unreasonably hot. The powder charge may be different in your rifle of course.

Incidentally, that 40gr Vmax shoots better than any other bullet I've tried from that rifle, and it likes this Lever load best of all. The little 24gr NTX bullet will do 4,800 over AA2200 from the same rifle too, but terminal effect on sage rats is better with the 40gr Vmax.
    My mp501 is proabaly pretty close to lever. 30g is about 2650 with a 106 in the 6arc. I think 28.5 was about 3500 and 29.5 was about 3600 in my 18" 20 practical.

I've bought bullets and other Midwest Powder from them, never had an issue.
    I know he said "others" and I already said I bought powder from them in this thread, but I also ordered a few primerers a few weeks ago and they showed up just fine also.

Catching things in stock lately has been a real problem. I have ordered primers, powder and bullets from them and they are my primary source and the ones I check first. 10k 5.56 Ginex primers for $628 last time I bought some a couple of months back. That included shipping and hazmat. Just managed to click on at the right time last week for "new powder like CFE223" for $189 per 8 lbs. I buy most of my goodies there now and will continue to do so.

Reactions: Ca5ka
    Catching things in stock lately has been a real problem. I have ordered primers, powder and bullets from them and they are my primary source and the ones I check first. 10k 5.56 Ginex primers for $628 last time I bought some a couple of months back. That included shipping and hazmat. Just managed to click on at the right time last week for "new powder like CFE223" for $189 per 8 lbs. I buy most of my goodies there now and will continue to do so.
    It's sad though. I remember being mad paying 189 for an 8lb of varget.

Reactions: Yote Klr
    According to a Shot Show report I read there is a major nitro cellulose shortage on the near horizon. I see powder right now becoming scarce again and prices beginning to rise once more. I think now is the time to get your powder put away and I bet we look back on $189 for 8 lbs with envy pretty darned soon.

According to a Shot Show report I read there is a major nitro cellulose shortage on the near horizon. I see powder right now becoming scarce again and prices beginning to rise once more. I think now is the time to get your powder put away and I bet we look back on $189 for 8 lbs with envy pretty darned soon.

The Shot Show report I referenced made mention of munitions produced for current military actions as the reason. Though I imagine BHO and his buddy Drooler would like to eliminate powder accessibility.

I bought the mp 525 like cfe 223. 16lbs arrived in a timely manner.

I got some barnes vaminator .224 50gr but cant find any TAC load data for it. would I be safe using the same load data as the barnes varmint grenade 50gr