• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Anyone used a Burris Mtac yet?

kitecop

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
I was planning on getting a Vortex Viper PST but the Burris Mtac caught my eye. Is the Viper worth the extra $300 or so?

Re: Anyone used a Burris Mtac yet?

You will get more than $300 more scope...
I had a mid power Mtac in my hands yesterday and it was nothing to brag about. I'm not bashing it but if you can afford a PST you will be hands down happier. I'm sure you have heard about their warranty as well... its for sure a different league.

Good luck

The MTAC is a solid scope. Optically IMHO is comparable to the pst. Matching turret and reticle on the MTAC. I would like to see them add exposed turrets but other than that I don't have any issues with the scope.

Question you need to as yourself is how much an illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, and a *cough* zero stop are worth (assuming you are looking at a sfp).

I'm a gen 2 mil fan so I like the reticle on the MTAC.

Don't know what power range you are looking at.
The PST is a solid scope with good features, but so is the weaver 3-15 tactical for 140 less than the PST

I got to handle the MTAC a few weeks ago and basically liked the scope. There were two things that I thought might be troublesome during use. One is that the turret click-positioning seemed rather spongy - it just didn't seem to have firm click adjust positions. The other thing seemed like the reticle lines were a bit thick. This may not be a problem during actual usage but it just seemed that way to me looking through it at a store.

I think im going to stick with the PST. Honestly the feature that sells it for me over others is the notch that shows which click ur on, i love that.

I've never used the MTAC before, but a few things jumped out at me from looking at the pics. Covered turrets and adjustable objective. Covered turrets can be overlooked. Worst case scenario, just leave the caps off. AO, to me, is a deal breaker. I'm not sure how many of you have tried using AO when prone, but my arms sure as hell aren't long enough to adjust it comfortably. As for the 1-4x, I almost bought one, but didn't like the reticle.

personally, i think that burris xtr is one of the best 1-4x scopes for the $. but it would be hard to go wrong with any of the above mentioned. it really depends on what you want in your scope, do you can capped or target turrets, a bdc style reticle or a mil/moa line reticle.