• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone used Krylon Camouflage Paint on the action

craig700sps

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Scotland , UK
hello from scotland guys.

Im really wanting to paint my remy 700 sps tactical with krylon camo paint. But im not sure how good it will be on the action, barrel, scope and sound mod.

Has anyone used this paint on the metal parts and got good results ?

Did you have rub down the metal work taking off the blueing before it held good ?

Craig

Re: Anyone used Krylon Camouflage Paint on the action

Are you talking about the Fusion Camo from Krylon?

If so it only "fuses" with plastics...I used some on a pair of knackered AW stock sides around 5 years ago. Even with a couple of coats of Krylon flat clear cote to seal it, the paint was highly susceptible to solvents, but looked great as they gradually wore in.

The solvent issue one of the plus points of Krylon as well as a negative - it makes it dead easy to strip if you get bored with it or don't like how it turns out.

Depends what you want. Sounds like a stalking rifle??

I wouldn't rub down the metal for Krylon, just degrease and air dry it thoroughly. Although that might not give the best key for the paint to hold, it won't look as crap when the paint wears off
wink.gif

If you want something more permanent I'd recommend Cerakote. That will need some serious stripping back to the bare metal and cleaning before application....it will also need baking.

My smith says the hardener is really hard to come by in the UK and Brownells won't ship it.

If you have a mate in the US or travel over there, maybe ask them about getting the Air Cure Cerakote...or see if Brownells will ship it (probably not!). Not as hardwearing as the two part version, but with proper prep, will look good and is way more durable than Krylon.

If you're looking for something non-permanent and adaptable, another solution is to go and buy a roll or two of green 2" weapons tape (fabric duct/gaffa tape) from a surplus store. Put it on the firearm and then either paint or apply mud as you need to... add three or four rubber bands to the foreend/scope to hang some foliage and whatever you are stalking won't see it comin!
wink.gif

The plus on this method is that it leaves the rifle/scope/suppressor exactly as issued when removed.

thanks for your reply.

Yeah i was on about the fusion paint. The process you mention about degreasing and then painting is what i was planning on doing, so at least i got something right lol.

I wouldnt manage to do anything like duracoat or simular myself, id have to get the rifle sent away for that. I am planning on getting the AI mag conversion and getting the stock bedded also, so i may just have to spend the extra money and get the rifle painted in duracoat from the smith thats doing the other work at the same time. Damn pitty tho as i do like to try things myself as i think its more rewarding when its all finished.
I was wanting to do the mag conversion and bedding myself but there seems to be a little too much that can go wrong for my liking, ie The pillars need to be exact etc .

I may try the krylon with my spikes tac .22, ill maybe do the stock, eotech, front hand rail and sound mod in tan and leave the rest black, That way if it does rub off it wont look bad at all on an AR type gun, It'll give it that " well used " look.

Craig

I left the bolt in when I did my 204, painted it, let it dry and used thinner to remove the paint on the bolt. Worked out well and keeps paint out if the action, also I just de-greased and painted then finished with clear coat and never had any paint chip off or scratch.

I've painted standard Rem actions and also Tikka stainless actions, in both cases a quick rub down with meths and then away you go. The Krylon holds up quite well, more so on the matt black Rem action. Its there for function rather than aesthetics so am happy with a worn and chipped finish.

I use a top coat of Rust-loeum Crystal Clear Matt (from B&Q) to add protection. Have done some AICS stock sides and used a plastic primer (again Rust-oleum white matt) as a base coat. They are holding extremely well.

hmmmm these positive opinions with the krylon paint and others are making me think that maybe i should just give it a go on the action, barrel etc

The finish on the sps tactical is a rough matt finish so i was hoping that cos its rough the paint might hold good with a good primer under neath it.

Good trick with keeping the bolt in the action and then just using solvent to take it off the bolt. I was going to buy modelling clay and use that to pack the inside during painting.

Ive used the krylon camo paint to paint my xbox controller and Tracker knife sheath in Digital camo, it came out pretty good but i did have to put on a top coat on the xbox controller as it was coming off while using it, but the knife sheath doesnt have the top coat and it is solid, even tried scratching it but it wont budge.

Craig

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craig700sps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The finish on the sps tactical is a rough matt finish so i was hoping that cos its rough the paint might hold good with a good primer under neath it.

Craig </div></div>

You shouldn't need a primer on the action, just degrease and then paint direct. You'll find the paint needs a good few days to cure before it hardens fully. Use a good matt clear on the top and you'll be fine.
Blue painters tape is by far the best for masking off. If you are going to bed the action I would suggesting masking off the bottom of the action. You can either leave the bolt in or stuff the chamber with kitchen paper, tissue etc.

ah right ok, even better then with no primer for the action. Would that go for everything else like, rings, scope, moderator ?

Go ahead and do it. I did my 700 action/bbl/mounts/scope in Krylon Camo Tan, and it holds up really well. Just do nice light coats, and the stuff is very resistant to scratching/chipping, whatever you throw at it. I'm not easy on this rifle by any means. It's a truck gun that gets tossed around and shot hard. Only a few scratches to show so far.

IMAG0326.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craig700sps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ah right ok, even better then with no primer for the action. Would that go for everything else like, rings, scope, moderator ?

</div></div>

Not painted a mod but it should be fine, on any smooth surface you are better keying with a fine grit sand paper. The only time I've used primer is on plastic parts (AICS sides, scope caps etc).

that looks awesome !!!

You've pretty much got exactly the effect i want. I want to do the scope, mounts, action and barrel one solid colour either khaki or tan and do the stock and moderator in 3 colour digital which will prob be Olive green as main colour, and khaki and tan for the digital break up patterns.

Im defo doing it, ill prob do the mag conversion and bedding 1st then do the painting.

Craig

[/quote]

Not painted a mod but it should be fine, on any smooth surface you are better keying with a fine grit sand paper. The only time I've used primer is on plastic parts (AICS sides, scope caps etc). [/quote]

Ill have to do the scope with some sand paper then i think, Dont want it coming off due to my prep work not being good enough.

Hmmm, maybe not the scope - you may want to strip off the paint and return it to its original finish at some point. Better off reapplying the Krylon to any chips or scratches than permanently marking the scope. I was thinking more along the lines of blued or stainless scope mounts or stainless barrels etc.

ah right got ya.

Well i suppose i better order that paint for my up and coming project.

Ill be sure do put up pics here so keep an eye out guys.

Craig