• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about a Remington 700 Model

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
Hello;

There is a used but nice looking Remington 700 in a LGS that I'm looking at. The barrel is marked "308 WIN 1 IN 10 LT TACTICAL" The barrel is marked 'AG' so it is a 2012 manufactured rifle. The shop says it is sitting in a McMillan MC3 Stock.

I cannot find any information on a 700 "LT TACTICAL" rifle. I keep running into posts here and elsewhere for the "Remington mod 700 LTR 308" which does not seem to be the same beast.

Does anyone know anything about the Remy model 700 LT TACTICAL with the 1/10 twist? Good shooter yes/no? Good/bad manufacturing year?
Any info appreciated!

Probably a re-stocked LTR. Never seen a factory 700 with any model of mcmillan stock. MC3 was not in production in 2012. Id treat it like any Remington. It was made as cheaply as possible, and you’d probably be better off with a Tikka or Bergara anyway.

Kind of hard to answer. Also the factory LTR was 1/12 twist so who knows what this rifle is.

If it is a 20" fluted barrel it could be SPS with lighter barrel than the 26 inch SPS .

Did it have a threaded barrel?

@gc700 Here ya go!
Barrel.jpg

Probably a re-stocked LTR. Never seen a factory 700 with any model of mcmillan stock. MC3 was not in production in 2012. Id treat it like any Remington. It was made as cheaply as possible, and you’d probably be better off with a Tikka or Bergara anyway.
@Supersubes Here's a picture for you. The rifle is identified inside one of the barrel flutes. Does this help?
One_In_Ten.jpg

They're high as a kite listing that at $1250, hard pass on that.

The MC3 stocks can be had for less than $300 new and overall the rifle is used so I'd say they're about $500 over the realistic value.

For comparison a 20" Tikka T3X CTR is $100 less from EuroOptic and overall a better rifle.

They're high as a kite listing that at $1250, hard pass on that.

The MC3 stocks can be had for less than $300 new and overall the rifle is used so I'd say they're about $500 over the realistic value.

For comparison a 20" Tikka T3X CTR is $100 less from EuroOptic and overall a bette

Trigger Monkey Supersubes

I'm not going to say either of you are wrong. I'd like to ask more about the Tikka, but his is a Remington thread, and it would be a shame to derail it. Maybe we could meet in a Tikka thread I just created titled "So, you think I should buy a Tikka?!"

I love Remington 700s. Most of mine are clones or clonish.

When I buy I look in the PX for low digit/prefix receivers and build off them.

Used to be you could get a receiver/bolt for $350 -$500 but that has been increasing. Usually you have to buy a rifle and hope to recoup some money selling parts.

You don’t know much about this rifle so it’s not something you had an interest in before.

I think you would be better getting a receiver and building it into what you want…

Remington receivers work just fine if you run a good barrel.

Every bolt in this thread is a 700 build.

It's a Remington 700 LTR .308 Win that was probably dropped into an aftermarket stock. You can tell by the flutes on the barrel. It was probably threaded by a gunsmith, as those were never offered with threads, to my knowledge.

The LT. Tactical stands for Light Tactical...Hence the name "LTR"... or Light Tactical Rifle.

Sold a pile of them back in the day. They're typically known for being extremely good shooters out of the box. I wouldn't pay over about $750-850 used in the McMillan stock. Less than that if it's not a McMillan or Manners, or other high-end brand stock.

I have zero love for Tikkas... They are also built to the cheapest specs they possibly can. Tikka is owned by Beretta. They are nothing more than an Italian Savage. Also, Beretta's customer service sucks ass, and they're typically uppity pricks.

Reactions: fnbrowning
I love Remington 700s. Most of mine are clones or clonish.

When I buy I look in the PX for low digit/prefix receivers and build off them.

Used to be you could get a receiver/bolt for $350 -$500 but that has been increasing. Usually you have to buy a rifle and hope to recoup some money selling parts.

You don’t know much about this rifle so it’s not something you had an interest in before.

I think you would be better getting a receiver and building it into what you want…

Remington receivers work just fine if you run a good barrel.
I know you are trying to be helpful, but I really don't want to buy a bunch of parts and then hope I can find a good 'smith in town. . . that can maybe get the rifle assembled sometime before next fall . . . when I want to start enjoying the rifle this spring.

It's a Remington 700 LTR .308 Win that was probably dropped into an aftermarket stock. You can tell by the flutes on the barrel. It was probably threaded by a gunsmith, as those were never offered with threads, to my knowledge.

The LT. Tactical stands for Light Tactical...Hence the name "LTR"... or Light Tactical Rifle.

Sold a pile of them back in the day. They're typically known for being extremely good shooters out of the box. I wouldn't pay over about $750-850 used in the McMillan stock. Less than that if it's not a McMillan or Manners, or other high-end brand stock.
If that LTR is over priced, What is the current Remy quality like? There is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical Ghillie Green 20"for sale at Bud's for $760. Or should I keep looking for a used pre-2007 at a sane price?

Reactions: Aftermath
If that LTR is over priced, What is the current Remy quality like? There is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical Ghillie Green 20"for sale at Bud's for $760. Or should I keep looking for a used pre-2007 at a sane price?
No idea, but from what i've heard, the new Rem Arms quality is much better than the old. They updated most of their tooling and twist rates...Which are 2 huge improvements.

As for whether an SPS is worth $760... IMO? Hell no. But that's what the market prices are dictating, which is sad. I used to be able to buy older 700 ADLs for $300-350 all day long. Which was great for buying them for the intended purpose to snatch them apart and build a custom out of it. It was a cheap starting point. Now the prices are no longer reflective of what you get. Then again, what has been since Biden's dumb ass took over and fucked everything on purpose for his NWO masters over at the World Economic Forum.

Going back to the 2012-ish time frame....the only factory 700's with a threaded muzzle was AAC-SD model. And I don't think they were out till 2014-ish. And 700's with 1:10 twist stamping were the AAC-SD 308's and the LTR's. A 2012 stamp really limits any potential for what it could be. Remington wasn't interested indoing threaded muzzles till they were bought out under that conglomerate.

This is a far better option, buying new for less money, than buying used of undetermined lineage. You can later on spend money on shit that matters once you figure out what that is.

Edit: Orrrrrr....you can just have LRI or SAC or any of several great smiths build you the no shit rifle that EVERYONE will appreciate for not that much money.

@reelserious @Haney Here is a R/H side view. Sorry that the barrel proof mark is not very legible.
View attachment 8306473

This is a Lews Horton limited release SPS-LT Tactical in 1:10 twist and 20” barrel with tri-fluting. I’ve owned 2 of them (one threaded and one unthreaded. Both shit really well even in the SPS Varmint plastic factory stock. I put them both in new stocks. I sold the non-threaded version to get the threaded version.

Model numbers were 84206 and 84207 I believe.

I have the original model numbers from the original boxes at my house.

Quick search shows they may have started making more in the Hogue overmolded stock. Mine had the plastic varmint beaver tail stock with vents.

You maybe able to find my original post about my rifle asking for info about 12 years ago.

Come a long way since then….lol

new RemArm built rifles are pretty damn good

i dropped a 20" 700 SPS tactical in a HS stock and its shooting .6-75 moa with FGMM.

mcameron

Thanks for the comment. It's good to know that an $800 rifle can shoot like that out of the box. It appears that in Remington, the 5R rifling is the hot thing to have. There seems to be some contradictory information on whether the SPS barrel is button rifled or hammer forged. the Remington page for the SPS Tactical does not say.