• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using A1/A2 stocks?

Rifle101

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all, I’m wondering if there’s anybody out there pushing their gas guns with A1 or A2 stocks instead of a magpul PRS or equivalent? I’ve used a magpul PRS gen 3, but it just made the gun so much damn heavier along with a couple other down sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkBlue
I have A2 on two Mk12, a 20" A2 rifle and ban era 16". I like them much better than the old style carbine that fits too lose and tends to grab beard hair.

Iron sight AR 12" SBR with A-1 stock.
Ran my old Colt 20" Govt model with A-2. Tried a Vltor once and ran back.

I like the a1 from Fulton, has a trap door. Take the sling loop of for shooting off a bag.
Low scope mount.

I am using A2 on an AR223 and an AR308. One is made by UTG in black. The other is DPMS that is grayish. UTG's stock was made in Taiwan with top notch quality. Taiwan makes an imported version of M16 as their military issue weapons. This stock was probably made by a local military contractor.

Reactions: MarkBlue
I've got A1 furniture on my Dissy.
BTW, all the originals were gray to begin with. They darken with oil and dirt over time. If you want to darken up your gray stock, just wipe it down with an oily rag.

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks for the replies. I ditched the magpul PRS stock I had on my SPR due to the weight. I want to get started in PRS and DMR matches and I’m figuring a little less weight might be best as the gun was over 12 pounds with the PRS stock, bipod, heavy barrel, optic and mount, and I wasn’t sure that the adjustability of the PRS stock was really adding any practical advantage. Was curious as to what others are using.

The Magpul fixed rifle stock really is a great option. If only for thee integrated sling points. I run A2 on an AR10 hunting rig and the MOE rifle stock on my 18" 3gun rifle.

I use an A2 on one rifle but I'd really like a couple A1's if anyone knows where to get 'em for a decent price. I'd like one with the steel trapdoor but I'll take what I can get as long as it's spec or better.

I couldn't find one or wasn't in stock so I went with a UBR on one rifle. It uses an A5 buffer assy. and it's not cheap, but it's really nice and the best of both worlds really. Has a lot more stops on it than a regular collapsible and it's as solid as a fixed with a nice cheek weld too. Wish I'd used one sooner. It's hefty, but I don't think it's really all that more or less than some and it's definitely lighter than that war club PRS. I like that stock, just wish they could make it lighter.

8AF6669C-D596-4952-9FE8-2284C6E526AF.png
I like these. Have one on a 20” 308 an 18” 223 and a sbr 458. Simple light, rubber butt is removable.

I put an A2 on my AR10 build since the PRS felt a little too long. Still messing around with it, but I really like it so far.

I had a Magpul PRS on my AR and I just switched to a Magpul MOE and really like it. It is significantly lighter. The only issue you may have is the LOP is a little shorter but Magpul makes an extra thick butt pad to add for additional length.

I am using A2 on an AR223 and an AR308. One is made by UTG in black. The other is DPMS that is grayish. UTG's stock was made in Taiwan with top notch quality. Taiwan makes an imported version of M16 as their military issue weapons. This stock was probably made by a local military contractor.

I'm a big fan of A2 stocks. They can take a little getting used to if you've never ran one before. I run A2 stocks on all my ARs with longer barrels. I've ran them for so long it's become second nature picking one up. The UTG A2 stocks are high quality stocks. I've purchased 3 of them so far, they have been great.

I have an A2 on my SR25. I screwed a Larue RISR to the top to help with cheekweld. The Bobro puts the Razor up pretty high. View attachment 7001899
I realize that this is an old thread/post, but I have been considering attempting this exact mod. First, how do you like it? Second, how did you do it? Did you have to shim it at all or does the RISR footprint line up pretty well with the width of the A2 Stock? If you have the time, could you give some explanation of the process or steps you took to achieve this? I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm using an A2 stock on an AR. No complaints. Had a Magpul PRS Gen3 on an AR10 type build, but it was way too long. Swapped it out for an A1 stock, which was better.

I have 2 A1 D's on rigs that I love. A1 is a fantastic stock, fits real well, light and balances nicely and gives me perfect length

No A1/2 stocks for me. I found that stock length far too long for prone shooting for me, especially with iron sights or an ACOG where you have a short eye-relief and you have to get your body at a weird angle to have the stock in your shoulder and eye in the eyebox of the optic...

...versus having an adjustable length of pull stock and a better, inline position with the rifle.

But, hey, user preferences. You do you.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I keep thinking it would be cool to do a retro iron sight build. Then I remember I can't even reach the trigger with an A1.

Thanks for the replies. I ditched the magpul PRS stock I had on my SPR due to the weight. I want to get started in PRS and DMR matches and I’m figuring a little less weight might be best as the gun was over 12 pounds with the PRS stock, bipod, heavy barrel, optic and mount, and I wasn’t sure that the adjustability of the PRS stock was really adding any practical advantage. Was curious as to what others are using.
weight is your friend

Keeps the wobble down on the barricades

My WWSD clone is.was too light. Part of it is my lack of experience building good positions on the clock. Part of it was too little weight. ...then I built an Aero heavy-ish barreled upper. Mo bettah

M

edited to add: I guess my WWSD qualifies with it's monolithic polymer lower. I just bought a Magpul ?A1? style stock, but it isn't installed on anything yet

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I put this gun together when I turned 18, back when I thought the the red parts were super cool 😎

I bought the Colt A2 from my dad I think and keep it on for almost completely aesthetic reasons. I taped over the texture on the endplate, as it doesn't feel to good on my collarbone when in prone with a tshirt. It is a excellent shooter with LC 55gr though and one of the gun's I bring out for new shooters. No poi shift with my cans either.

20221012_222252.jpg

@DangerRanger I've enjoyed that rifle/build alot. Once that Wilson combat barrel on it dies I'm thinking I'll rebarrel it in 6mm ARC.

That 2-12x Athlon has actually proven to be a really solid scope for that setup.
Nice. This white oak shoots so well when it goes it’s getting another just the same. 2-12 sounds nice, I’ve considered a 3-15 but the fixed 10s just never quit and I hate to disassemble a well running rig

how do you like that scope, how has it held up?
I’ve never had one fail, I trust a Swfa 10z42 more than most scopes that cost 5x as much

Glass is meh but good enough for the practical use of this rifle

Edit* I apologize, I was under the impression you were asking me but I was just tagged due to the quote included. It seems you were asking about the athlon. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
I love the A2 as well here it is on a Sig 556 using a Double Diamond stock adapter. Which are first class if you can ever find one the adjustable 556 stock was garbage. I wanted to SBR it but sold it to fund a Nightforce. I think a 556 swat with a 11.5” barrel would be just right.

Attachments

• 111F6EA3-91AA-4905-9A48-0D5AA28F5277.jpeg
    111F6EA3-91AA-4905-9A48-0D5AA28F5277.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: