• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Using Battle Ropes?

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Hi guys:

I am looking at adding Battle Ropes to my home gym. Currently I have a TRX trainer, kettle bells, and a jump rope.

Anybody have any experience--good or bad-- with any type of Battle Rope?

Thanks in advance.

BMT

They are a great tool doing interval training. Alternating vertical through a full ROM at maximum intensity for 60 seconds. Rest 30 seconds. Horizontal through a full ROM at maximum intensity for 60 seconds. Rest 30 seconds. Repeat 4x. Vomit.

Yes, by all means buy one. I bought a 60ft manila rope on Ebay that I think is a full 2" thick - about 1 lb per foot. It's a heck of a rope. If it gets wet, it gets heavier.

Aside from undulating rope exercises, of which there are many, I roll it up (secure loops with a bungie cord) and jog with it over my shoulders to a predetermined site. Once there I roll it out and do the following routine:

- hop the length of the rope from side to side traversing it's length
- once at the end, immediately plank out in line with and parallel with the rope
- using one arm, either push or pull the entire length of rope until you run out - resistance decreases as the rope length shortens (grass increases the resistance - pavement reduces it)
- straighten the rope
- repeat the process, hopping and planking
- alternate pulls and pushes with L/R sides you get four good cycles of hopping/planking and upper-body work
- keep in mind you are planking on your remaining arm/elbow and feet while doing the pulling/pushing.

One of the best and fun workout tools I have. People think you're nuts when they see that rope.

If you can, get an old boat anchor line. Don't spend the money on a manila rope unless you are also going to climb it.

zenghost - that's a great workout idea. I love it.

--Fargo007

"Battle Rope" the names people come up with...just get some mooring line from local surplus, we cycled this stuff out all the time. Might be a little much for some.....

Attachments

• US_Navy_051012-N-6125G-043_Deck_Department_personnel_work_together_while_stowing_the_mooring_lin.jpg
    US_Navy_051012-N-6125G-043_Deck_Department_personnel_work_together_while_stowing_the_mooring_lin.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 27
  • US_Navy_061102-N-9928E-021_Sailors_from_deck_department_heave_mooring_lines_around_capstans_as_t.jpg
    US_Navy_061102-N-9928E-021_Sailors_from_deck_department_heave_mooring_lines_around_capstans_as_t.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 38
  • USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN_76)_in_Port_Kalang,_mooring_line_-_080818-N-7730P-009.jpg
    USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN_76)_in_Port_Kalang,_mooring_line_-_080818-N-7730P-009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
I went ahead and got a set 2" x 40 feet. I am using them with a timer as follows:

1 minute on, 30 second off.

I do three movements: Large two-handed wave; oscialiating wave (right up, left down); and figure eight.

total of 18 sets (6 sets of each of the three movements). At the end, I am gassed.

On Friday, after is finished, I laid down on the concrete floor of my shop, to stretch, and started signing --spontaneously--in a low voice: (to the tune of "Red Solo Cup")

Cold concrete floor, you hold me up, just cool me offfff, just cool me offf . . . . .

BMT

Out of curiosity what did it cost for the rope? Order online?

It crossed my mind before to get some for my home gym but never really got passed thinking.