• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Anyone Using Federal .308 GMM ???

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
Considering the purchase of a case of Federal .308 175 gr GMM. After having read postings (dated from 2009) on other forums, there seemed to be issues with excessive copper fouling from this loading. There were also more than a few stating that copper "Shavings" were noticable on the bullet at the case crimp line, like the bullet and brass fit was too tight when being seated. Is this still the case with current lots of this ammo and / or has anyone else noticed the aboved noted issues??? Thanks for ANY input.

Re: Anyone Using Federal .308 GMM ???

This is THE standard by which all reload development and reloaderd are judged. If your load does not group better than FGMM in your gun, you still need to develop the load, or still need to develop the reloader.

For factory ammo available by the case, there is no better. But there are a few piers (Black Hills 175 Match Red Box for example).

As to the copper: Factory barrels produce a lot of copper fouling until the barrel is fully honed by bullets passing down its bore at high speed under heavy pressure. Mine was not really for prime time until about 200 rounds were donw the tube. I, personall, would not blame this in any way on FGMM, or on the 175 SMKs, but on the factory barrel itself.

Great ammo, but God awful expensive! You need to be government (spending your and my tax money) to be able to afford it. I almost always shoot factory GMM in a new 308 to get a standard of accuracy in the gun to work toward or beyond with my reloads. Also it is comforting to know if something is not wright about the gun, you have not voided the warranty by using reloads.

For the cost of a case, I think you can probaly buy a reloading set up and components and meet the price, then on subsequent loadings save a TON.

george

Yeah I think I would spend the cost of that case on a single stage press and gear if I were you. BUT if that is not possible, then grab a case and shoot away.

AWESOME ammo! I remember when it was under $13/box, and used it to test new rifles before I worked up a load for them. At today's prices, I would strongly recommend that you atart reloading. A case of GMM will go a long way to getting you started with reloading equipment. Check out Sinclairs International for reloading advice and equipment.

To your question about copper fouling, agree with Mitch above--it is your barrel, not the Sierra MatchKing bullets...

i know that when i reload 175 smk's at home they sometimes get a sliver or two of copper press up from the edges when i seat them...figure this to be fairly normal and i always give the round a twist with a piece of 0000 steel wool to remove any debris like this before putting away the completed round. it would not surprise me a bit if some factory rounds get packed with this still on them. is this a defect? probably not. is one of the many varibles why people reload though so they can keep watch over discrepancies such as this? sure. is your bore gonna copper up due to this? probably not. if youre seeing excess fouling its more likely that the throat or rifling is to blame.