• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone using Pelican Air cases?

redneckbmxer24

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Is anyone using them?

I’m hesitant because they either look tactical or like some expensive gear would be in them, but I need some good heavy duty checked bags because I do need to protect some expensive gear.

To those who have them and check them, do they get a lot of attention on the baggage claim belt? Any attention period? I’m thinking the grey may fly under the radar a little bit better than black or the bright yellow or Orange.

Depends on where you go. In the US I never had an issue. Some places like Mexico where you are a target just for speaking English it dosen't help. Not sure how much it hurts either, every American is a mark.

Pelican air 1615. Not quite as "beefy" as the equivalent old pelican (1535 I think), but still plenty sturdy and much much lighter.

I don't travel internationally with it, but I imagine in many countries people would think you're either a journalist/photographer or some kind of entertainment related person. IE: someone with expensive equipment. Won't matter what color the case is.

I had to travel with guns as part of my job long ago. We put decals on our cases to throw off the curious.

I put lab equipment decals on mine, so it looked expensive, but unlikely sellable. My favorite was a lady that had a sign that said, "Medical Samples- Personal protection gear required before opening"

I worked with a dude who trained cadaver dogs and had a pelican case full of body parts he used for the training. Fingers, toes, a foot, a calf and an arm with hand. His jeep got broken into and the crackheads stole the pelican. He got a call from the local PD the next day saying they found it on the side of the road. I would have paid a bunch of money to see hidden camera footage of those crackheads cutting the locks and opening that case.

to your question, the pelican Airs don’t seem to attract much attention here in the states. They toned down the tactical look and I haven’t noticed anyone take a second glance at it. The pelican rifle cases though, can’t fly anywhere without someone asking about it.

Reactions: Kalthoff
    "Medical Samples- Personal protection gear required before opening"

Fuck that’s a good idea. Might raise suspicion with TSA but they’ll be scanning this case immediately anyway with me on standby any time it gets checked as it would have firearms in it. Might raise questions but I don’t think they’d care if I explained the why, they may even appreciate the fact that it’s less likely to have something happen to it.

I put lab equipment decals on mine, so it looked expensive, but unlikely sellable. My favorite was a lady that had a sign that said, "Medical Samples- Personal protection gear required before opening"
    Nice! Do the bright orange case, and put biohazard stickers on there too.

Reactions: Aftermath
    We did this back in the 90s, TSA may not have the same sense of humor and Biohazard may be a no no. But you get the idea, a rifle case that says, "Custom Display Solutions " and a couple Heinz Ketchup stickers is better than "God Bless our Snipers"

It is an old concept,
    Tommy gun in a violin case.

Reactions: HPIguy
    I run a bunch of them. Typically keep all my ammo, tripod, ect in one and my rifle in another.

United hasn't been able to break one yet

We did this back in the 90s, TSA may not have the same sense of humor and Biohazard may be a no no. But you get the idea, a rifle case that says, "Custom Display Solutions " and a couple Heinz Ketchup stickers is better than "God Bless our Snipers"

It is an old concept,
    Tommy gun in a violin case.
    Yep, didn't think about the times we live in now, sadly. Good info for sure.

I've had the Pelican Air bow case for awhile now, No complaints so far. It's lived in the back of the truck for a week at a time with temps from 20-80 with no issue.

I have three 1615 that I use for air travel and tossed in the back of my truck. They work fine. As mentioned by others, when sending in my checked baggage, I put ‘Fragile’ ‘calibrated equipment’ stickers on the case and ‘This side up’ . My cases still look new after multiple trips and three years