• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using RL23?

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I have been using RL22 for my .30-06 loads and I'm starting to get low on powder. I was looking for the same type of velocity that RL22 gives but with the temp stability of some of the wonder powders. I can't seem to find much info on RL23, has anyone used this powder?

I have been using RL22 for my .30-06 loads and I'm starting to get low on powder. I was looking for the same type of velocity that RL22 gives but with the temp stability of some of the wonder powders. I can't seem to find much info on RL23, has anyone used this powder?

I can tell you this, it is not a replacement for 22, the burn rate is closer to RL 19, not saying it wont work, just don't think it is plug and play. If you want a powder to mimic what you have, look into Norma MRP, it's a simpler swap, but the same charge will result in higher velocities.

Milo, is MRP temp stable like rl22 is supposed to be? Spife, I'm using the 210 SMK right now...

Milo, is MRP temp stable like rl22 is supposed to be? Spife, I'm using the 210 SMK right now...

Not considered a stable powder, but neither is 22, IME with it, not bad though. It seems to give a better energy for a lower mid-range powder. Once you get lower than RL 19 on a burn rate chart, and till you get to IMR 7828, you're in what I call a dead zone, where there really isn't the good powders as we know.

Attachments

• photo72278.png
      photo72278.png
      60.8 KB · Views: 66
    I could not find Reloder 16 anywhere so I ended up with reloder 23. Does anyone have any suggestions of beginning point and max? Alliant does not have any data was this cartridge much less the bullet weight...

I was using RL23 with my 300WM with good effect when I was running up to 190 gr VLD. Switched to heavier bullets and changed powders (RL26 & H1000). I'm using H4350 in my 30-06 with 180 grain bullets with good accuracy results. H4350 is fairly temperature stable but has been hard to come by. For what it is worth, I was never really convinced RL23 was completely temperature stable as my 300WM loads seem to vary 0.5fps/DegF or more when I was using it.