• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone using Ruger M77 Mark II ?

rich56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2007
Union NJ
I'd like to hear some reports/feedback/opinions, especially in 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks

Re: Anyone using Ruger M77 Mark II ?

Ive got a 20inch in 270wsm and its a lazer, falls right behind my custom 25-06 ackley for hunting rifles.

I shot em out about 1200yds in 240RV Magnum (6mm-300WSM) on Ruger action. Very accurate rifle. Alot of people don`t like them because lack of DBM, who cares, just shoot em!

My .257 Roberts shoots great. Hate the pencil barrel though. But it's nice for a light hunter.

I have the youth compact (very compact).243 my first deer rifle and it's a great gun Ruger makes good stuff.

got the 30-06 hunter with the tiny barrel and wooden stock.

it's not bad, accuracy hovers around 1-1.5moa if i do my best. Not a laser, but will knock down deer and pigs all day (if i ever get round to taking it out hunting).

Personally, if you're looking for something longrange/precision, i'd stick to a more recognised factory setup, like the 700, Savage or Tikka.

I was hopeing for reports on the target/varmint laminated stock rifles. Anyone else using one for target/long range/precision shooting?

I also would like to hear more about these rifles. I have seen several good deals on them recently and considered getting one...mainly just for an all purpose target/hunting rifle.

no ruger mark II love on this website. i have had several sporters, and they were pretty nice until i discovered remington 700's

Unless you're just curious, there's little reason to reinvent the wheel. Everyone can true a M700 and there are tons of M700 clone custom actions. There's an unlimited amount of aftermarket support. The M70/FN actions, they used to be the most popular, so there's still smiths with the knowledge to work on them and there's adequate aftermarket support. Sako and Howa have a limited following and limited aftermarket.

Ruger: doesn't have much of anything. I'm sure you could make it shoot just as well, but why go through the learning curve when there are so many vetted alternatives. There's no incentive, unless Ruger wants to break into the market and provide one.

I've seen lots of them on the p'dog fields. They will kill prairie dogs at reasonable ranges.

I've had a few myself, including my very first ever rifle (M77 MKII .308).

None of them are good out of the box and you're very limited as to what you can do with them.

There's a reason most migrate to the 700 action.

Basically, it's a nice rifle if you intend to hunt at closer ranges, relatively cheap, but not destined for any kind of precision work. I got mine given to me by my old man, so it's far from being sold (probably never).

Mine is a lightweight, yes, it has a wood stock but it's still incredibly light, with light rings and a light scope. It's my carry-all-day rifle. 30-06 for knocking down Sambars and Pigs (if i ever get round to going for a hunt).

However, if it was me buying, i'd get a Tikka, 700 or Savage.
Why? Because of the accuracy.
Plain and simple, anyone can make a light hunting rifle. Tikka makes a good one, and it'll be far more accurate than the Ruger. So yes, up close they'll drop anything furry all day long. The thing is, if you spot that nice looking buck a bit further away, you can use a better rifle to take it.

Since you're asking for calibres in the more 'longrange' scale, you probably want to get something that'll fling those bits of let alot more accurately. Buy once, cry once. and buy a Tikka
smile.gif

I really like rugers but there are a few things to keep in mind. they normally need some tweaks to get the best out of them. most gunsmiths don't like working on them. The triggers are less friendly to adjustment although they can be done, I have a 22-250 with a 28oz trigger. the bedding is more difficult to get right and there is way way less aftermarket goodies for the ruger. if your happy with a hunting rifle that is capable of 1-1.25 moa, ruger is a great choice. the other thing is you are stuck with ruger mounts, which for a hunting rifle are great, but for other uses not so much. I like picitinny mounts.

I also really like the safety on the rugers I deem them alot more positive and confidence inspiring than other designs. it just depends on what your intentions are for the gun as to if its a good choice or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like rugers but there are a few things to keep in mind. they normally need some tweaks to get the best out of them. most gunsmiths don't like working on them. The triggers are less friendly to adjustment although they can be done, I have a 22-250 with a 28oz trigger. the bedding is more difficult to get right and there is way way less aftermarket goodies for the ruger. if your happy with a hunting rifle that is capable of 1-1.25 moa, ruger is a great choice. the other thing is you are stuck with ruger mounts, which for a hunting rifle are great, but for other uses not so much. I like picitinny mounts.

I also really like the safety on the rugers I deem them alot more positive and confidence inspiring than other designs. it just depends on what your intentions are for the gun as to if its a good choice or not. </div></div>

pretty much this

and what other people said, seems ruger's are very much a love hate make.
They are either out of the box good shooters or very bad shooters and then you put time into making it better and nothing helps so you never buy another one.

It all depends on the route you want to go, if you want a stock hunting rifle maybe trigger work a ruger is a fine piece, if you are looking to upgrade pieces i think there are cheaper and better ways to go, JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcccabin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a factory m77 Mk II
V/T in 220 swift that shoots sub.5 moa with 52 gr bergers </div></div>

Yeah, that V/T means quite a bit... when comparing it to the light weight pencil barrel versions. I had a M77 MKII VT .243 and it shot quite well. I never put many round through it but it was shooting .6" @ 100 with out much load development. Shooting 58gr Barnes varmint bullet. My dad has a M77 MKII .30-06, his is the light weight hunting version, and even with trigger work, he can't get it to shoot real well (read: not a precision shooter). With that said I'd still use one as a (closer range) hunting rifle without question.

Frank

I gave my Lady a Ruger M77 Mk II V/T, chambered in .223 a few years ago. It had the heavy stainless barrel, factory installed as well as the heavy Laminated Varmint stock.

As I recall, it performed approximately 1 moa, but I had only fired it up to 300m. About 15ish years ago. I'm happy with it, for what it is. My Lady is even happier with it, because it is one of HERS. She has her own 'stable' and is quite proud of it/them.

I'm not near a fan of Ruger as I once was, when I was younger and didn't know as much. That said, they do go 'bang' when you pull the trigger, pretty much. You get out of it, what you put into it.

Thing is, you can put so much more into other sticks, than you can do with this one. It's your world, ergo it's your oyster.

Enjoy.

Sorry i have no 243 but my m77 mkII shoots less than one moa, more the poor factory bullet than rifles fault....it will shoot one hole with hand loads. Do have a trigger rebuild though. Stainless barrel 300

The M77 is essentially a M98 action, is it not? If so I'm sure barrels, triggers and stocks should be somewhat available..

Though all I know about them is they closely resemble the M98...

I have to respectfully disagree on the most of the negative comments towards the Ruger action. The reason why most people don't use this action for custom rifle build is due to the lack of aftermarket options. The reason there are not many aftermarket options is due to the difficulty in modeling the action its self for design. There are a lot of different angles to the Ruger and prototyping is expensive. However, it is a very accurate and strong action. In some ways the Ruger action is better than the Remington 700 action.

This is one of my 300 Utra mags on a Ruger M77 Mark 2 action.

IMG_3756_zpsf488b892.jpg

I'm a Ruger fan owned several did a few custom builds on Them and loaded for few that belonged to friends. Most were 223s or 22-250s and shot MOA or .5 MOA. A few would do a little better. My smith flat out told me they were not as easy to work on. That being said my last build I went full custom.

Sweet, nice build. I'm new to the site and also like build my own on the M77 actions. Just curious on the stock,custom or factory. Want to build one for long range coyote on a donor action.

I like my Rugers. I have several (223, 22-250, 22 Hornet) and all shoot well. My smith does hate working on them, the triggers on mine are polished and pull at around 2.5lbs. If your looking for a good hunting rifle I would recommend one and you can build on one but not as easily as a Rem or Savage.

I have the ruger mk2 target rifle and I am extremely happy with it. The laminated target stock is excellent don't mess with it,read the owners manual.In early production there was a problem with some of the barrels Ruger has addressed this issue I believe it was with their .223 caliber it is on-line. I reload and the hornady brass is excellent My range only goes to 100 yds. But using the suggested load do 42.5 gr. of H-4350 it will shoot better than .5 groups usually sub .30 all day long. The bolt on these rifles are sticky at first until but after a little use and a drop of oil IMHO is much nicer than the remington 700 bolt throw. What is really amazing is how cool the barrel and bolt stays. By the way I use the 123 gr. Sierra MK. I will Chrony the loads soon along with the factory Hornady 129 SST bullets. One last thing is it is like shooting a .22 even less felt recoil than my AR shooting 55gr. Loads.
To be honest there are a lot of folks who could put together a reasonable good shooter if building an Ar, 1911, or a remington 700 but it takes a good machinist to build a better than factory Ruger or any other kind of Mauser rifle. The so called custom 700 remington is for the most part an assemblage of parts from a host of venders needing minimal machining like a kit. At the end of the day you will have a box of discarded factory parts sitting in your closet which you will have spent good money for collecting dust for possibly a .2 moa gain or no gain at all.
As for the 6.5 creedmoor being called a short range cartridge look it up and compare it to a 300 Win Mag it has more kinetic energy down range higher S.D. and B.C. Than most loads shot from the .30 caliber and again with less recoil and a lot less expensive to reload and less barrel wear. I also have a 30-06 Remington 700 and it cannot compare BDL Shilen trigger, Hogue stock.

Last edited:
I have a m77 mkII chambered in 243 imp. It shoots 3/8 in groups at 100 yards all day and most groups will be around 1/4. The rings i use are Burris signature. And it has a timney trigger.

I have shot some factory rifles that shot great and some that would barely hold a 2 inch group.

I would buy or build another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the target/laminate version when I was in college, but I sold it to get a Remington 700. That Ruger shot the best group of my life - .151". No one ever believes me, but I don't care. I might be able to figure out what load that was too.

I also had the trigger set to around 4 ounces due to some of my own "gunsmithing".

I've never really talked to anyone else that owned one, but mine was a shooter!

I have one in .223. I’m 82 and have used.seven rifles to clean house on prairie dogs and ground squirrels. I have shot over 3 K round through this Laminated stock rifle and the worst grouping was with commercial reloads using 55gr. PSP. Which produced 3/8 inch groups. Using Hornady match JHP in 55 gr.5/6 of and inch on, many occasions three of the five shots either touched each other or actually went through a neighbor hole. American Eagle 50 gr. Or Frontier 55gr. PSP . Love my trips to Wyoming, and Colorado to visit my family. All sight Ins were at 150 yards.

My 77 is pretty much a Shaw custom. Has a Hogue stock and Clark Custom guns rewored the trigger. Barreled in .35 Whelen, it can shoot three bullets into one tri shaped hole. Can’t ask anymore for a hunting rifle. It does what its supposed to do and does it well.

1693019698829.jpeg