• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anywhere to get good custom ballistic charts?

TexaSaiga

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2013
If I was hand loading then I would make my own, but I ONLY shoot Federal GMM 168 gr. .308. I have been trying to find a good chart with bullet drop and wind drift out to 1000 yds that I could print out, although I would not be apposed to paying to have one made and having a laminated one mailed to me. The only place I found wanted $80 and had a 3 week lead time and that seemed a little over the top to me... Anyone?...

Thanks!

Last edited:
JBM ballistics, enter your pertinent data and print out your dope card. Although it better to confirm this with some of your own data.

I like the G7 program, it is a little more intuitive. There are also tutorial vids as well.

gseven - Ballistic Program

Here is an example of FGMM, sited at 100Y 4mph wind full value, 59 degrees F @ 5000 ft.

It will only take you a few minutes to change your environmentals. You can print out a little card, or a whole page, outputs in Mils, MOA, clicks or inches.

Attachments

• FGMM168_5k.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
+1 for JBM!

This is all I use. Free, simple, and precise. I love this site!

The trajectory calculator is all you need in 99% of situations to get good charts. I save them, size them in paint, and fix them to my stocks.

JBM - Calculations

The best thing would be to just go out and make your own from real life data from your own rifle,ie log your data in 50 yard increments out to whatever distance you plan shooting.next best is buy a FDAC, these are awesome and iv found mine bang on within .1mil out past 800m. heres a thread http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ipment/58761-new-product-snipers-snipers.html and here is a link to a hide vendor selling them Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Data Books/Covers*::*Field Density Altitude Compensator

These work well...come in different bbl lengths and th link I included is for 26 inch. 20 and 24 inch also available.
Schwiebert Precision Ballisticard 308168 D2 26
They come in packs of two so you and a buddy can go in halves that only makes them like $8ea and they fit in a stock pack

Last edited:
FDAC as stated above
JBM
Applied Balistics
etc

larger question. is there a reason you want to chance 168 to 1k? 175 or 155 will do that job much better.

Thank fellas. I will check out all of the above and try one or several of them. I am sure I will make/revise my own as I shoot more, but right now, finding a place with that much range as well as burning up precious ammo making a chart during times like this when ammo is so scarce is something I would rather do when thing settle back down politically and ammo is once again back in stock.

FDAC, I dont claim to know everything about precision shooting... Why would 175 and 155 be superior? From my research and my limited experience, I have always found 168 to be the best performer and the pretty much universally accepted standard setting weight... Plus both my Savages love is and although I want a ballistics chart to 1000 yds, that will be the MOST EXTREME and VERY VERY seldom shot ever taken with any of my rifles. Here is east texas, it's very hard to find a place to even shoot more then 600 yds... I am all ear to what you have to say tho....

168 is a great performer, the 168 SMK or Amax out of a 1:12 really shines at closer ranges. The reason for the 175 and 155 are the bearing surface and BC. The 175 usually outshines the 168 at long distance, the 155(scenar) has a similar BC to the 175 with less recoil. For 600 and closer you will be fine with 168.

and of course confirm this. they are not always right, though i highly doubt it's their fault. many manufacturers may overstate their BC, and oftentimes the velocity you enter in may not be correct either because of an inaccurate chrono, or in my case a lack of chrono and going off other resources. If you get your information right the info they give back should be right, but this can be hard to do.

Go shoot under conditions you will. Record data. Type it out, print out on hard stock and either use packing tape or have someone laminate it. Its the only data card that will work correctly with your rifle and ammo

the 155 and 175 are both a balistically superior bullet to the 168 SMK at range. The 168 is typically going transonic and tumbling prior to 1k (all these comments are DA dependent). If you have actual data and are comfortable with the 168 then drive on. My question about the 168 was specific that certain agencies require the use of the 168 (if Memory serves it goes back to a FBI study). If YOU are going to the 168 then I was just bringing to your attention that there are better bullets in the .308 family.

the other thing you need that the FDAC and JBM provide is you need to know the DA for where you are shooting. One DOPE card is like trying to generate a 3rd order polynomial from a single data point. YMMV

2h7nf6f.jpg

Thank fellas. I will check out all of the above and try one or several of them. I am sure I will make/revise my own as I shoot more, but right now, finding a place with that much range as well as burning up precious ammo making a chart during times like this when ammo is so scarce is something I would rather do when thing settle back down politically and ammo is once again back in stock.

FDAC, I dont claim to know everything about precision shooting... Why would 175 and 155 be superior? From my research and my limited experience, I have always found 168 to be the best performer and the pretty much universally accepted standard setting weight... Plus both my Savages love is and although I want a ballistics chart to 1000 yds, that will be the MOST EXTREME and VERY VERY seldom shot ever taken with any of my rifles. Here is east texas, it's very hard to find a place to even shoot more then 600 yds... I am all ear to what you have to say tho....

i watched it hit dead on at 800y, at 875 it was tumbling and had a 20ft spread... why use a bullet that has a high degree of shitting the bed when it goes trans...

Give the folks at Accuracy First Development Group a call. They make a product called the Whiz wheel. They do any custom combination you can think of.

168 is a great performer, the 168 SMK or Amax out of a 1:12 really shines at closer ranges. The reason for the 175 and 155 are the bearing surface and BC. The 175 usually outshines the 168 at long distance, the 155(scenar) has a similar BC to the 175 with less recoil. For 600 and closer you will be fine with 168.

Contrary to my initial research when picking a cartridge(this was several years ago), I see that you are correct. I have been looking at a few sources and articles this afternoon and that seems to be the concensus. I guess I have 1500 rds to use for under 800 yds then. :)

Go shoot under conditions you will. Record data. Type it out, print out on hard stock and either use packing tape or have someone laminate it. Its the only data card that will work correctly with your rifle and ammo

Thats the plan eventually but I would like to have some preliminary information before going out and burning precious ammo when having a good table in front of my could get me very close already.

the 155 and 175 are both a balistically superior bullet to the 168 SMK at range. The 168 is typically going transonic and tumbling prior to 1k (all these comments are DA dependent). If you have actual data and are comfortable with the 168 then drive on. My question about the 168 was specific that certain agencies require the use of the 168 (if Memory serves it goes back to a FBI study). If YOU are going to the 168 then I was just bringing to your attention that there are better bullets in the .308 family.

I am finding that out about the 168's.... What does "DA dependent mean? I want a ballistic table for out to 1000 yds, BUT, asp. taking into consideration the ammo I have on hand, it looks like I will be shooting under 800 yds which really is fine by me since a 1000 yd shot will never happen in a real world scenario in east texas. Only at the range and even then, I believe the closest 1000 yd range is 3 hours.

the other thing you need that the FDAC and JBM provide is you need to know the DA for where you are shooting. One DOPE card is like trying to generate a 3rd order polynomial from a single data point. YMMV

2h7nf6f.jpg

Ok, I am sure what you said is important, but unless you can re-phrase it in layman's terms, its lost on me lol. I am not new to shooting and firearms, but I am fairly new to precision rifles and long range shooting. Also, is there somewhere you can recommend that would concisely define what exactly a ballistic coefficient is? I understand what it means but would like to learn more about what makes one bullet have a higher BC then another. Although true, it just strikes me odd that the 155 and 175 are both superior to the 168 which is between the two....

And let me throw this out there as food for thought..... I hear all this talk about shooting .308's out to 1000 yds, yet the difference of 7 grains of weight can mean the difference between a bullet dropping from the sky at 750 yds, or hitting its target. I am probably wrong, but it seems to my like perhaps 1000 yds is pushing the cartridge way out of its comfort or safe zone... Why not just go with a 7mm mag or 300 win. mag or 300 wsm? I am asking myself this as well as others... I started with .308 as my platform cartridge but that was based on the fact that it is so universally accepted as one of the best for precision shooting. Hence almost every special purpose rifle being chambered in it. Why?

You do understand that the guy who in all probability wrote the BALLISTICS is a watered down version of Applied Ballistics? Litz is their Ballistician

yes I knew that, great book as well

I have my wife make mine for me in excel spreadsheets. She's a whizz with excel, all color coded and fancy looking. shrinker them down and laminate at kinkos. Pm me the raw data and she can hook you up for a case of newcastle.
I'd say 3 separate charts out to 1000 with 25yard increments would be a fair trade. I found 3x5 is a pretty good size for the field.
Course, your gonna want to know what velocity your getting with the 168s and 3 common DAs you shoot. I usually preload the wind at 10mph coming from 90 degrees and adjust the hold from there.

Contrary to my initial research when picking a cartridge(this was several years ago), I see that you are correct. I have been looking at a few sources and articles this afternoon and that seems to be the concensus. I guess I have 1500 rds to use for under 800 yds then. :)

Thats the plan eventually but I would like to have some preliminary information before going out and burning precious ammo when having a good table in front of my could get me very close already.

I am finding that out about the 168's.... What does "DA dependent mean? I want a ballistic table for out to 1000 yds, BUT, asp. taking into consideration the ammo I have on hand, it looks like I will be shooting under 800 yds which really is fine by me since a 1000 yd shot will never happen in a real world scenario in east texas. Only at the range and even then, I believe the closest 1000 yd range is 3 hours.

Ok, I am sure what you said is important, but unless you can re-phrase it in layman's terms, its lost on me lol. I am not new to shooting and firearms, but I am fairly new to precision rifles and long range shooting. Also, is there somewhere you can recommend that would concisely define what exactly a ballistic coefficient is? I understand what it means but would like to learn more about what makes one bullet have a higher BC then another. Although true, it just strikes me odd that the 155 and 175 are both superior to the 168 which is between the two....

BC is a measure of how well a bullet flies through the air a higher BC means the bullet has less drag while a lower BC equals more drag the higher the BC the less velocity a bullet will loose over distance this will equate to less bullet drop and less effect from the wind. On the other hand a bullet with a lower BC will loose velocity far quicker and will therefore drop much faster and be pushed farther by wind.

DA refers to Density Altitude which is a combination of Temperature and Air pressure (station pressure calculated using a reference altitude of 0') to give you a corrected pressure altitude. This is a reference for how dense the air is and therefore how much it will effect the flight of a bullet. It is a nice way to simplify things for your ballistic cards because rather then having to have dozens of sets of cards for different combinations of temperature and air pressure you can have a single set that is based off density altitude.

As for why some bullets are better then the 168 there are a few reasons. First off the 175s have a higher ballistic coefficient and are slightly longer then the 168s and tend to perform far better when they go transonic. The 155s have a relatively high bc and also are getting pushed out a lot faster than the 168s so their starting velocity is faster which when combined with their better BC tends to ensure they remain supersonic to longer distances. To give you an idea the 155gr SMK Palma runs a velocity of around 2900fps possibly more running a bc of .504. The 168gr SMK has a bc of .462 running a velocity of around 2700.

Glad everyone is enjoying the cards!

If I was hand loading then I would make my own, but I ONLY shoot Federal GMM 168 gr. .308. I have been trying to find a good chart with bullet drop and wind drift out to 1000 yds that I could print out, although I would not be apposed to paying to have one made and having a laminated one mailed to me. The only place I found wanted $80 and had a 3 week lead time and that seemed a little over the top to me... Anyone?...

Thanks!

A good friend of mine have some financial problems , is pretty much stuck with his 12 hours/day job unable to get second one so he started to sell his skills on Fiverr .
He is a very skilled marksman passionate in ballistics , first i heard about things like ballistics,bullet drop , ballistic coefficient quick load or sierra infinity years ago from him at one of his birthdays .

In short words he will build you a custom drop chart for 5 $ and how i know him the value you will receive will be much over 5 $ .

I paste bellow his service description and a link to Fiverr :
Custom Trajectory Card also known as Trajectory Table or Bullet Drop Chart , Ballistic Chart or Range Card for 5 $

I will calculate a custom Trajectory Card also known as Trajectory Table or Bullet Drop Chart , Ballistic Chart or Range Card from your bullet characteristics , velocity, firearm and atmospheric parameters.

A must for all levels of shooters, these cards were designed in order to meet the needs of hunters and professional marksmen, as well as, long range competitive shooters. Designed for use from 25 yards to 1000 yards in 25 yard increments with a 100 yard/meters zero. These cards were calculated for a standard mid-temperature range and the format provides data in inches, mils, .25 MOA (Clicks) and full MOA/MIL for both elevation and wind deflection but also TOF-time of flight .

Features summary :
Horizontal trajectory to 1000 yards/meters
Scope clicks (come-ups) for changing zero if desired
Wind deflection at 10 mph (adaptable to other speeds)
Moving target leads

He will need the following information to build this table for you :

I need the following information :
Caliber - eg. .308 or just specify the cartridge
Bullet Weight-confirm weight units grains or grams
Ballistic Coefficient-Please specify ballistic coefficient
Muzzle Velocity- value in fps or m/s
Sight Height-The height of scope above from the centerline of the barrel in inch or centimeters
Average altitude where you use this load (or specify city /state/country)
Moving target speed in feet per second or meters per second

Custom Trajectory Card also known as Trajectory Table or Bullet Drop Chart , Ballistic Chart or Range Card for 5 $

P.S.
If this is against forum rules I apologize in advance and I kindly ask one of admins to remove my post , is a very good friend so i take the risk.

Thank you .

Maybe you covered it somewhere, but instead of initially spending time and money on ballistic cards, why not invest in a ballistic solver like "Shooter" ($5-ish for your smartphone), or better yet the Applied Ballistics app ($30) and a Kestrel (with DA measurement as B3dlam correctly points out). Then chronograph your loads, enter data, get real time firing solution for your rifle, ammunition, and conditions.
A case-in-point example of how a 1000 yards isn't always the same solution is as follows: On Feb. 3, 2014 I go out to my usual FFP 3500' ASL, My midrange target is 19x24"(2 MOA-ish) plate at 1,030yds. Typical comeup is +25.5 MOA with .338LPM, with a DA of 5800-ish. On Feb 3, though DA was 1080-ish. My firing solution that day +27 MOA, If I would have used my custom/confirmed card, and done everything right, it's likely my standard data would have caused, at best, a near miss, and very likely a splash at the targets feet.
The 3 other .308 shooters that day also experienced misses at ranges as little as 557 yds even with data cards that they had built for themselves, and confirmed, likely from the same phenomena.
My point is that generic cards for ".308" can't take into consideration all of the real world variables that will affect bullet especially when long flight times, due to greater distances, are involved. I only use my paper data as a reference and as a backup in case my f$%king phone dies again cause my wife won't stop calling wondering when I'll be home...