• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aperture sight rifle

AW24

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2022
Canada
I posted here a couple hours ago asking about a good low-mid price rifle to get to start target shooting, but as is usual for me, I have researched too much lol, and now I have shifted what I think I am looking for. I feel like I am not someone who is attached solely to the idea of pure long range precision rifle, I would like to learn to be a really good marksman from the ground up. What do you guys think about rifles with aperture or even target sights. I would like to learn how to first shoot well with these types of non magnified sights. Do you have any recommendations for rifles that come with aperture sights, or very good open sights that would possibly be candidates for putting a scope on later on and shooting to 500+ yards. On the flip side of that, would a rifle like the tikka ctr be able to take aperture/target sights and be shot accurately? Is this a worthwhile pursuit, or do you think "meh, just move straight to a scope".

I will be at a range with up to 600 yards, and I would like to be shooting .308 or something comparably available and priced. And I am in Canada, if that is relevant.

Thanks!

Since you mentioned Tikka:

But a good 22lr is what you should buy, with heaps of ammo and then start training.

Reactions: redbullitt
Aperture sights are very enjoyable if your eyes are good enough.

I often shoot a pair of nice old Enfields using cast bullets out to 500ish yards. One is a 4570 and the other is 303. Both are fitted with the old early 1900s parker hale sights, model 5a i think it is. Click adjustable windage and elevation, adjustable aperture etc. Functions just like a scope really. Very slick, but can be expensive and hard to find. Totally worth it to me though as they are so enjoyable.
The adjustments on nice sights like that are repeatable and i marked for distance, so i can hit very well with them.

They are very fun to shoot, but understand good sights will be expensive and may require modifications to the rifle simply to mount them. Front sight will likely take some trial and error too depending on what youre after. There are plenty of modern aperture sights and i would absolutely say give them a try. Marbles and lyman are afforable and nice enough, especially the older ones.

Any good gunsmith can make this happen. I would simply get something drilled and tapped for the rear sight and have a nice swappable front sight put on. Remove the rear sight and run your optic when you want, best of both worlds in 1 rifle.

A 223 caliber rifle may be worth a look too... one of my favorites for casual targets inside 600 yards unless hunting big game is on the table. Cost and recoil are minimal, meaning youll practice more. Here in the US the ammo is common and usually affordable. Good heavy bullet 223 will shoot very well at the distances you mentioned, though youll get more wind practice lol.

Tikkas tend to do very well. I dont see why youd not be able to have one fitted with an aperture and front sight by a good smith.

If you are learning to shoot, a 22lr or a NICE air rifle will be your best friend. A proper 22cal PCP air rifle can be shot under and inch easily at 50 yards, into one hole at 25. Cans and bottles at 100 yards arent difficult until the wind picks up. The air rifle and 22lr can be shot cheaply and at reduced range yet still show you the wind. Very useful.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have an all factory Remington 40XB in 7.62 with redfield arperture sights it’s sweet. @168BTHPM knows a bit about this style of shooting. I think he’s waiting for me to die so he can get mine.

With a scope and some thrown together(light load) hand loads my first 3 shots at 100 We’re real lucky and looked like 2 shots that were almost perfectly stacked. If you search you can pick them up cheap(ish) lots of gun shops in my experience don’t know what they are, and look t you like a moron when you mention one. You can get a real nice one around $1500, but I’ve seen them for Several hundred less and it’ll do competition and hunting great. Even the triggers feel nice stock.

If you got a repeater version obviously it would have an internal box mag. Only takes a few minutes to remove the scope and attach the sights.
509DA571-25BC-488E-AA50-A424D7BCB749.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want aperature sights check out places like creedmoor sports.
Most rifles don’t come with them these days and most people don’t want them so there’s the cheap ar shit and then there’s the expensive competition sights and there really isn’t much of what I would call a middle between the two. So expect to pay 80 bucks or 500 bucks.

For a bolt with good sights you’re going to be buying or building a really nice target rifle of new. I’d probably go to an ar on a new center fire product these days with the nra and Palma disciplines. But a good anschutz 22 would be great if you don’t have one yet. My good aperature sights are all on old 1950 and earlier 22s.

Last edited:

But a good 22lr is what you should buy, with heaps of ammo and then start

But a good 22lr is what you should buy, with heaps of ammo and then start training.
Any recommendations on the 22?

Tikka T1x since you mentioned Tikka in your first post. It would entail some work to fit sights on there, but you might have to do that anyway.

I don't know what's available where you live?

I suppose anything with the option of the sights you want. The main thing, as I see it, is to get used to and learn how to shoot with them.

As mentioned above, an air rifle might be good enough? Your proficiency will increase with shots fired so the main thing is to get you started and then to continue to shoot as much as possible.

Pretty much what redbullitt said.

Parker Hale, MO's, Redfield Olympic, Redfield International all are quality rear aperture sights but not always right out of the box, but usually a gunsmith can 'true up' the sight. Availability may be problematic thought.

I understand that Lyman makes or has made rear sights but don't remember seeing many at the XC matches I participated in.

My set up was/is a Remington 40-XC in 7.62 NATO out of the box with a Redfield International rear sight and a Mid Tompkins front globe sight with spirit level.

A back up to that rifle is what started out as a Remington 700 barreled action with a .308 varmint barrel on it. It went to a gunsmith who basically mimicked the 40-XC in stock, barrel configuration and overall weight. It too has a Redfield International rear sight and Mid Tompkins front globe sight with spirit level. That rifle is used as my 'back up rifle' whenever the 40-XC is being re-barreled or has other work being done on it.

As mentioned before, your eyesight does come into play while sighting and more so with a rear aperture though you can change the front globe skeleton inserts and get an adjustable rear iris that can help sharpening sight image.

Provided one has a rifle that can shoot sub-MOA and accurate hand loads or match grade ammo is what you are shooting than all day and/or week long you can be competitive (shooting Master scores) 'Across The Course' with a 7.62 NATO or .308.

On occasion I have shot the Palma Course with 7.62 NATO and 800 yards is do-able as is 900 yards but you should put your big boy pants on and bring your 'A' game for 1,000 yards. At the very least your 'A-' game as your 'B+' game will most likely lead to some embarrassment.

In regards to you being in Canada, AW24,(our Big Brother to the North) and me being in the States I am not familiar with Canadian laws, regulations and ordinances so would be hard pressed to suggest how to go about acquiring firearms and/or sights. That being said if you can find a SMLE like what S12A posted that would be sweet. It served the ANZACs well.

What do you guys think about rifles with aperture or even target sights. I would like to learn how to first shoot well with these types of non magnified sights.
There is certain satisfaction with being able to learn how to effectively shoot metallic sights. However, if you don't have a rifle set up for those sights, it's pretty difficult to convert a modern, mainstream rifle to install decent sights.

Perhaps a more cost effective plan would be to find a used .22 that has metallic sights. Maybe an older Anschutz 64, Savage, or Mossberg 44? I'm basing this suggestion on my experience shooting Intl Smallbore, NRA Highpower and Palma. A good 22 at 100 meters will definitely challenge you and sharpen your skills.

Another member brings up eyesight and age. Yes, it is a factor but some slight corrective glasses still allow me to participate as I approach retirement age.