• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Appleseed Project?

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    Does anybody have any firsthand experience with the Appleseed project? Has anybody attended? Any information is appreciated. I did search through the forums and could only find 1 sort of reference to it.

Re: Appleseed Project?

I attended the 2 day Appleseed shooting clinic a couple years ago. I thought it was time well spent. It is good for position shooting and using a sling properly. Alot of people shoot mainly from a bench or prone supported. This program is more geared to combat rifle shooting- multiple targets, time limits, mag changes. The people who put these shoots on are really concerned about our country and our future. If you only want to learn long range precision shooting, you would be disappointed but if you want to learn to shoot rapidly and accurately out to 400 yds this is a good place to go.

david

I have attended about 6 appleseeds and instructed 4 in the past two years. The program is a basic shooting course with emphasis on sling use, NPA, Rapid fire, and multiple target engagement. During the breaks we talk about the events that happened on April 19th 1775...

The program is capable of taking a non-shooter and making them a shooter, improving a decent shooting and teaching the good shooter to be be better. In other words, improving the skills of any shooter willing to attend and learn.

The rest of the apple seed info is available on the website...appleseedinfo.org

I am listed there under the same alias

I've been to one and will start teaching at the next one now that I'm Rifleman qualified. The shoots can teach a beginner solid basics. They can also make someone more experienced better.

As clodhopper said, the program teaches rifleman basics. This means shooting offhand, sitting/kneeling and prone. All positions are taught to properly use a sling for support (A loop sling. No bipods.). The basic course is 25m with qualifications happening on a timed test that simulates 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards in the basic positions along with magazine changes.

You'd think a 25 meter course would be a snap. Yet, most people don't qualify as a Rifleman their first Appleseed event.

For the modest fee for two days it's well worth attending. I doubt anyone who attends comes out not learning anything. Most people I've talked to come out a much better rifle shot. If you can hit a 1 inch square consistently at 25M you will have no problem hitting a steel plate at 400 yards with iron sights with most rifles.

I was supposed to attend one locally but had some scheduling issues at the last moment.

My friend ended up going and really enjoyed it.

We are both IPSC/USPSA shooters. I have shot rifles all my life but never got any solid instruction.

He said they really hammer the basics home which is what I need. I will try and catch one next year for sure

I am an instructor as well ans go by the name Mudcat on the Appleseed forum.
    They are correct in saying that we teach the basics. But most people were either never taught or have forgot the basics. If you have intentions of attending a more advanced class later on Appleseed will only help you. You will spend more time on the advanced stuff and less time trying to learn the basics during the high priced class.
    I have seen some pretty good shooters come through our classes and they could not believe how much the improved after the weekend.
    Several ranges will have actual distance shooting after you shoot a Rifleman score and show you know what you are doing. If you cannot group 5 shots on a 1" square at 82' consistantly with no support, bag or bipod then there is no use to go out farther you just spend more time walking to the target.

Give it a shot get a brick of .22 you can take your centerfire too but you can learn with a rimfire for mjuch less $$ and spend $70 for the class for a weekend. You will learn something, I am sure of it.

No, you may use a sling. We teach the proper use of a GI loop sling as well as proper prone position, seated and standing.

how do I chase down who does it here in Las Vegas.

I am missing the one in November and dont see anything in the future.

1" square at 82 feet (why 82'?) witha rimfire or centerfire?

Chiller
    The reason for 82' is because the targets are reduced for shooting at 25 meters to simulate 100yd (offhand), 200 yd (rapid fire sitting), 300 yd (rapid fire prone), and 400 yd (prone slow fire). It is the same target, reduced smaller to simulate extended ranges. You can shoot either 22 rimfire or centerfire. The reason for the 1" target at 25 meters is because if you can hit it, then you are shooting 4 moa. If you can shoot 4 moa then you should be able to hit a 20" target out to 500 yds- " the Rifleman's quarter mile".

david

wow, Must have been late.....

The gears just started working..... I read 82' and somehow it was registering 82 yards.....Ya I know.

THAT is why I was concerned that there is a difference between rimfire and centerfire.

Is there anywhere I can look at the targets?

Again if anybody is aware as to how to nudge a group along here in Las Vegas it woudl be appreciated.

Chiller
    If you can get a copy of Shotgun News, look for 'Fred's" ad. I think he always has a 2 page ad in SGN. I have Oct 12 SGN and they list an Appleseed shoot Nov 14/15 in Boulder City and Fallon. NV. There is also a forum- try Fred' M1A or Appleseed and you should find it. They may have targets to download or you can order targets (this I know because I have ordered them). I am computer stupid so I can't send you any target pictures. The targets are based on the head and shoulder military targets. Hope this helps.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was aware of the November one (I have a conflict). My question is how to get on a early list for upcoming.</div></div>

Go here:

http://www.eventbrite.com/org/28719640

And subscribe to the RSS feed; you'll get notification as soon as they add dates.

Went to one in Ramseur NC last month. It was a blast and a great way to pass on shooting. If you have Military or formal training 1st day is a reacp of basics and can be a little slow but worth doing. 2nd day we were shooting out to 500 yards

Very good people, Very structured, a pretty good history lesson, Oh and did I mention the training is helping to re-educate MANY people on what we really have firearms for. ;-)

+1 for the Appleseed project.

Sac Valley has them out every month and we get probably 200+ people in a weekend. It is a great jump off point for new shooters or shooters that have been away from rifles for a long time.

Vu

Hello,

Appleseed is a nationwide rifle clinic/competition/history lesson. It's a bit more than that, but it's <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> a militia or anything of that nature.

On my second AQT, I scored Rifleman.

7a246fbe.jpg

Got my patch.

I was using a 10/22 for this.

Drill was top target standing, 10 rounds, in something like two minutes.

Next two standing to sitting, two rounds, reload (standard or tactical), eight more, 55 seconds (this was probably the hardest).

Row three got three, three, four, standing to prone. Don't remember the time limit. Fire two, reload, fire eight. Tactical reload optional.

Last row was a straight 10 rounds, two, two, three, three, in five minutes, starting from prone.

Shot much better scores with the 'scoped Savage, even with the bipod folded and hanging on the end (no bipods allowed), but that wasn't even fair as my 'scope only goes down to 4.5x.

I had an M1A shooter on my left, so I broke out the SKS, only to have failures to fire. During prep I field stripped it and found the hammer spring, which I replaced, had become weak - cheap spring. I have since installed a new one from Wolff.

But even with a 50% FTFire rate, I was still keeping up with the 'scoped M1A at the short distance, using Tech-Sights. Then we shot a team target, and came out pretty good, even with my rifle merrily malfunctioning.

I only experienced two malfunctions from the Ruger - a FTFire (due to ammo) which I was able to eject, finish the mag, and reload the FTFired round and finish within time. The other was a stovepipe malf which I cleared and finished the drill. A couple drops of Otis lube (thanks, Del!) got it running right again - it had about 300 rounds through it at this point.

Only failed to finish one target with the 'scoped Savage, that being due to the bolt action and the 55 second time limit with reload. Dunno how those Brits did that mad minute! The "cease fire" command came right as I was squeezing, and I had about 2.5lbs of pressure on the 2.75lb trigger. I probably could have gotten away with it, but I could also stop, so I did.

Really wanted to "play" with the only other .30 caliber there, the aforementioned Scout M1A, and am disappointed my hammer spring was weak. I have no doubt I could have scored Rifleman with the SKS as well, as I have it built.

Overall, it was a very fun two day experience. We burned up well over 500 rounds of ammunition. Very, very positive experience. Thanks, Appleseed!

I plan on attending another in the spring.

Josh <><

After reading all the positive feedback on the Appleseed Project,
    I'm going to sign up to attend one of the events in my area.

Grrr. Nothing within 5 hours of Middle Tennessee. Nothing in Tennessee or Alabama at all.

I need the refresher, and I want to get my wife and daughter to it also.

They did one in Maynerdville earlier this month. I missed it. That is only about 3 hours from home. They don't have one scheduled there at all. I looked all of the way through the 2010 schedule.

-Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FryerJim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grrr. Nothing within 5 hours of Middle Tennessee. Nothing in Tennessee or Alabama at all.

They did one in Maynerdville earlier this month. I missed it. That is only about 3 hours from home. They don't have one scheduled there at all. I looked all of the way through the 2010 schedule.

-Jim</div></div>

Be patient the 2010 schedule is just being updated now.
    A lot of ranges do not do their yearly scheduling until Jan. I am sure there will be at least 3 different places to attend shoots in TN. next year if not more. Pureyer is a Appleseed hot spot with 5 there this year, Arnold Airforce base is another. Keep watching the 2010 schedule and get signed up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IN_Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FryerJim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grrr. Nothing within 5 hours of Middle Tennessee. Nothing in Tennessee or Alabama at all.

-Jim</div></div>

Be patient the 2010 schedule is just being updated now.
    A lot of ranges do not do their yearly scheduling until Jan. I am sure there will be at least 3 different places to attend shoots in TN. next year if not more. Pureyer is a Appleseed hot spot with 5 there this year, Arnold Airforce base is another. Keep watching the 2010 schedule and get signed up. </div></div>

I have the RSS feed....

just waiting ...........

I've refrained from comment on this topic because, simply; there's nothing I could add to effect a genuine improvement. Not needed.

Greg

Arnold AB would be great! I am less than an hour from there in Fayetteville, TN.

I'll keep watching.

Thanks,

Jim

I just got back from the Appleseed in Midland, TX. My daughter and I had a great time. I had never shot with a sling until Saturday, first time out today I made Rifleman. I highly recommend them, especially for kids!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where do you get them?

I do not know if what I have is the correct scale. </div></div>

Might get faster service from here Appleseed Store

Fred is sometimes pretty slow in getting orders out.

I was able to attend the Appleseed Project in Buckeye, Arizona a couple days ago. It was awesome. As far as shooting goes the best thing I learned was NPOA or Natural Point of Aim. I think the greatest value in this program lies in introducing less experienced people to shooting. The stories they told about the Revolutionary War were incredible. I just don't think you could have a bad experience at one of these events. I took three people who were novice shooters with me. I think they all had a great time. It is free for just about everyone except 21 and older males so it is best to bring some kids and women. Make sure you follow the instructions as to what to bring so you get the most out of it. I think active military is free as well.