• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APR 300WM problem

jojotheclown

Spray and Pray
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2018
Texas
I have a 300WM built by Alamo Precision Rifles that has blown up 2 suppressors, a SilencerCo Omega (rated for 20" 300WM) and today a hybrid (rated for 18" 300WM). The rifle has about 60 rounds through it, all factory ammo, and has never managed much better than a 1 moa group at 100 yards. I've shot Barnes 180Gr TTSX, Hornady 180Gr SST, Hornady 200Gr ELDX mostly, although I've tried some others. I am going to bring it back to them to check out, but was wondering what might cause it. Threads not concentric to the bore?

Rifle Specs:
22" Bartlein Sendero profile 1-10
APR Gen 2 receiver
Hawkins DBM
Trigger tech primary
AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock

IMG_1124.JPGIMG_1126.JPGIMG_0882.jpg

As stated... Non concentric muzzle threads. I would be hitting up Alamo precision for a new barrel

Reactions: jojotheclown
Wow, To get a baffle strike on a .46 cal hybrid, the threads must be wildly off.

Hmmm that's odd YouTubers speak so highly of the rifles that I'd wager Alamo gave them.

I have a 6.5CM from them that shoots 1/2 moa with factory 140gr ELDM and am pretty happy with. I've never really heard any complaints about them, and I wanted to try their G2 action since it was such a good deal. I'm sure they will make it right.

Curious how this turns out. I have one of their rifles and its a bug hole gun. Honestly this is the first real issue I have seed with one of their rifles.

Stupid question but: are the suppressors getting damaged on the first shot? If not then it might be something else.

Not a stupid question! Not that I could tell (they didn't blow up on the first shot). With the omega I was shooting at 100 yards trying to get the rifle to group, but everything was between 1 and 3 moa. It looked like a shotgun. Shooting 3 round groups letting the barrel cool in between. After about 25 shots or so it blew the end cap and all the internals, leaving just the sleeve of the suppressor attached. With the Hybrid I was shooting at 100 yards again trying to get it to group, but once again all the groups were 1-2 moa. After about 20 shots the guy next to me noticed it was starting to sound weird. I looked at the suppressor and noticed the dents and the hole in the end cap. I unscrewed it and the internals are toast, basically turned to dust.

After the omega blew up I chalked it up to SilencerCo and just thought the suppressor failed, even though it's rated for 20" 300WM and mine is 22". But now the hybrid as well? And the fact that it hasn't ever grouped well at all.. something isn't right.

Not a stupid question! Not that I could tell (they didn't blow up on the first shot). With the omega I was shooting at 100 yards trying to get the rifle to group, but everything was between 1 and 3 moa. It looked like a shotgun. Shooting 3 round groups letting the barrel cool in between. After about 25 shots or so it blew the end cap and all the internals, leaving just the sleeve of the suppressor attached. With the Hybrid I was shooting at 100 yards again trying to get it to group, but once again all the groups were 1-2 moa. After about 20 shots the guy next to me noticed it was starting to sound weird. I looked at the suppressor and noticed the dents and the hole in the end cap. I unscrewed it and the internals are toast, basically turned to dust.

After the omega blew up I chalked it up to SilencerCo and just thought the suppressor failed, even though it's rated for 20" 300WM and mine is 22". But now the hybrid as well? And the fact that it hasn't ever grouped well at all.. something isn't right.

Direct thread or using ASR mounts?

Direct thread

Yes this is screaming that the muzzle threads are a hair off of center... Each round was lightly striking the baffles but still making it through the can then a baffle is bent hard or a piece of debris obstructs the bore in the can, then the subsequent round is catastrophic.

Yes this is screaming that the muzzle threads are a hair off of center... Each round was lightly striking the baffles but still making it through the can then a baffle is bent hard or a piece of debris obstructs the bore in the can, then the subsequent round is catastrophic.

Well hopefully we'll find out soon. Alamo isn't open until tomorrow, but I am going to bring it, along with the can up there tomorrow. I'll keep the thread updated as I work with them to resolve this.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Well hopefully we'll find out soon. Alamo isn't open until tomorrow, but I am going to bring it, along with the can up there tomorrow. I'll keep the thread updated as I work with them to resolve this.

Either way, I'm sure silencerco will take care of you as it doesn't look like your serial numbers are damaged

Either way, I'm sure silencerco will take care of you as it doesn't look like your serial numbers are damaged

yeah they returned my omega pretty quickly (about 2 weeks). I'm waiting on the reply from CS this morning for the hybrid. It just sucks I have to use their "warranty stupid.. once" policy on this.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Follow up on this; I took the rifle in to Alamo today. First and foremost I’ll say they are some stand up guys and stand behind their product 110%. After checking the threads and finding them true and concentric they cleaned the crown and found a fairly large ding, from what looks like an impact. I know, for certain that I didn’t hit anything as the threads were always covered by the muzzle brake until I put the suppressors on, so I suspect it may have happened when the omega blew up. Either way they think this was likely the cause and are replacing the barrel at no cost.
67E2129F-1249-4E99-B217-5AFF77810126.jpeg

Reactions: spife7980