• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

APRIL 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

It doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

RULES: SH RIMFIRE 100 TO 300 YARD COMPETITION RULES - Check out the "Support Side" matches

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH LONG RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

PREVIOUS 2011 MATCH SCORES:

MARCH 2011 SCORES

FEBRUARY 2011 SCORES

JANUARY 2011 SCORES

2010 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

2009 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

learnings from rimfire comp thread

Re: APRIL 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

As there has been interest in developing a 300 yard scoring ring type target, we should agree on what it would be.

Our 300 yard "pro" BERGA has put the MR-63 target (Reduction of the MR-1 target for use at 300 yards to simulate the 600-yard stage of the National Match Course) up for nomination with dimensions of:

Aiming Black (inches) Rings in White (inches)
X ring 2.85
10 ring 5.85
9 ring 8.85
8 ring 11.85
7 ring 17.85
6 ring 23.85
5 ring 29.85

They are available commercially, but i would like to develop a printable version like the others we use so we can cheaply print and shoot if we choose, even if it is a 2 page (8.5x11) layout like the 5 bull on the short range matches.

We currently use a 10" simulated gong (round disc) and probably go with a 2.85 X ring as to match the above submitted target.

How do guys want to go with it?

That looks good to me.

I think It'll work nicely for us, and will definetly separate the men from the boys
wink.gif
I'm still trying to figure out 200 yards
crazy.gif
And have yet to do "awesome" on the 100 yard target compared to you guys... Soon I will catch up
wink.gif

top predator would you like me to send you a set of SSAA rifle targets to see what you can work out with them?

thanks for the offer, but with the dimensions given i can whip something up with the microsoft thingy i have and make something that we can print out at home if one wishes to go the cheap route.

this will sound a little retarded, but since the center bull is almost 3" around, should i fill it with black, or leave it uncolored so you can color it in with a sharpie or something in order to save printer ink?

again thanks for the offer, i do appreciate it. if i find i need them, i'll shoot you a PM.

I hope IAM not forcing the MR-63 on you guys. I just want to keep score, for myself, at 300 yards. What ever the group wants to vote in as the standard for our 300 yard match,I will support.

OK I think the MR-63 OR the SR-3 would be the way to go for our 300 yard rimfire matches.
SR-3 might be better.
X-3"
10-7"
9-13"
8-19"
7-25"

If we only printed out to the 8-ring it would fit on two sheets. I would be willing to "eat" the MR-63's I already bought and buy some SR-3's instead.
What do you think ? It would be a better target for the rimfire IMO.
If the SR-3C is the winner then I would vote that any shot in the 7-ring or lower be a miss,only 8,9 and 10-rings(X's) would be scored. I don't think anyone would have a problem with having a larger 8,9 and 10-ring when shooting a rimfire at 300 yards.

BERGA

just to add, putting both mr63 and sr3 targets together now that are able to be printed on a home printer.

the mr63 has less space between scoring rings and will fit better on 2 sheets. the less space will provide better variance in scores.

the sr 3 fits better "in progression / ratio" with the 100 and 200 yard targets we use now, but the larger spaces provides less scoring rings - most of the scores between folks may become more of a tie breaker using the X as a deciding factor - i'm now thinking going with this one may "stagnate" the scores slightly.

we could come up with a "hybrid" of both, but i also like the idea of incorporating existing "sanctioned" targets into the rimfire comps - makes good practice matches shot in the "real world".

when i'm finished working both i'll post up examples for further critique, should be somewhat soon.

i was going to lightly shade in the gong area, but didn't know if most would think it would eat up too much ink. at 300 yards, it may be a good thing as far as getting a good bead on the target.

once which one is decided MR-63 or SR-3, i'll have to resize the rings just a little, as when i save themn to a jpeg image to put on photobucket, there is some "shrinkage".

if you guys think this'll work as an optional printable target, figure out if the landscape (higher / skinnier) or portrait shorter / wider) target would work better. i'm thinking the landscape as it seems vertical tracking is apparant on most of our 200 targets, it'll only get more exaggerated at 300 - but once again, majority rules.

After looking at the two printable versions,I now vote for
MR-63

If the group/majority votes sr-3 then I'll be fine with that also. I see now how the larger target would cause alot of ties
with X-ring tie breakers. Just my .02

I would like the vote to take place soon,so I can start shooting at one or the other ASAP
BERGA

MR-63 all the way, and portrait view. Simply to set scores apart more and because horizontal stringing is much more prominant than verticle once you have your elevation set. At 300 with even miniscule wind it's hard to not get a ton of horizontal personally. It has to be dead still to not have to adjust for any drift. So short and wide MR-63 would be perfect IMHO, but then again, I won't be shooting it for a while. At least not untill I'm doing well enough at the 200 yard targets...

OK I resized the targets to get closer to what the dimensions given for the 300 yard MR-63 with 10" simulated gong target, both in landscape and portrait view in the printable target section.

BERGA
Match:200YP-A21
Class:Scope
Rifle:Anschutz 64
Score:247-8X
[img:center]
200yardapril.jpg
[/img]
Yes still shooting sling position

BERGA
Match:300YP-MR63C
Class:Scope
Rifle:Anschutz 64
Ammo:SM340
Score:237-6X
[img:center]
300yardapril.jpg
[/img]
I was trying for 240 plus at 300 but it was not to be. Iam only allowing myself 5 rounds for score(each month) at 200-300 yards...the self imposed limit adds realism and forces me to take each round more seriously.
See you guys next month.
BERGA

Very nice Berga!
smile.gif

Only 3 out, Berga. You are getting closer!

I will be at the ranch next weekend. I am hoping for light winds because I will be pulling the trigger at 200 a LOT!

Freakin sweet. I just moved back up here to NY where my range goes out to 300. Can't wait to try that comp on a nice calm day. Nice shootin!

All Right Small Bore Sniper! Glad to here you got back north and to a 300 yard Range again!
smile.gif

Smallboresniper,glad hear that you are interested in the 300 yard comp. I would like to see more shooters at all three distances. It's just for shits and giggles anyway.
Where is everybody at ? Must be holding out till the end of the month....trying for the "clean"
Berga

Thanks guys! It'll probably be a couple months before I can establish membership again. But once I do I'll be lobbing them out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is everybody at ? Must be holding out till the end of the month....trying for the "clean"
Berga</div></div>
I don't know what everybody else's reasoning is but my rifle is having mechanical difficulties right now. I'm hoping to get it fixed by the weekend to get out and shoot a legitimate score. If I can't I guess I'll just post up the screwed up target I shot last weekend
grin.gif

I'm waiting on a new rig. It should ship any day now. I got a call from Savage Gunsmithing to ask about what size rings I wanted. Getting a TR with 20 or 25 moa Farrel base and 30mm Farrel rings. Don't have a scope yet, I'm not quite sure on that yet. My USPSA shooting keeps getting in the way.

I'm hoping to get some targets shot this weekend. I had screws and a plate in my ankle 3 weeks ago and just off the pain meds. didn't think pain meds and guns were such a good mix! 4 position is out of the question for a while but prone will be ok

f'd up month for me too.

had to sell my beater truck, buy another vehicle, weather sucked, i got turkey season opening this saturday which ends the month, had some range work to try to finish up at the rifle club between rainstorms, had a silhouette shoot to run the one weekend, plus with easter and demands at work - no joy this month.

I'm hoping to squeze in a session this weekend but if the weather isn't decent or my little rifle modification didn't make a difference, then we will probably pack up and move on over the the archery range across the street...

Man, I had big plans to go down to the ranch and clean the 200 over Easter, but my oldest son came down with pneumonia. They had to operate yesterday (to suck the fluid out). I don't know when I will be able to get back to the range... and when I do, I will probably be concentrating on Smack the Smiley. I am catching wind that a lot of guys are nipping at my heels at 200. Berga is knocking on my door. As a matter of a fact, I can't remember if it was this month or last month that I shot and was 4 out, so call me beat in April.

Mighty fine shooting, Berga!

It also looks like I need to get off my kiester and start shooting 300. I have a 300 yard range. Actually, 295, so I will be at an advantage for once;-)

Carter, hope all is well with your son. Scary stuff for sure.

I'm hoping to get some shooting in tomorrow if the weather isn't to awful bad. Rain and snow in the forecast. I'm hoping the rain we're getting now moves out before morning.

Carter hope your boy has a speedy recovery.

I am just waiting on my rifle to be finished and then I will be with you guy's
can't wait looks like fun .

Was able to get out and shoot this morning.

All 100 Yards - All Targets Same Rifle (Marlin 925) - All Targets Same Scope (Tasco 6-24x42 Target/Varmint Mil-Dot).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">NOTE: </span> I actually shot the CCI Blazer first then switched to the Aguila Super Extra, but before going for record fire I re'zeroed the scope for the Aguila ammo. I feel I've taken this Marlin 925 as far as I can and will get back to my Savage MKII FVT with the same Tasco Scope and 20 MOA EGW Base. I think I've squeezed all I'm going to get out of this Marlin 925.

40-45 deg., 3-5 mph wind, 9:30 - 11:30, partly cloudy, very lite rain off and on.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">100YB-TQ4 </span>

NAME: Joe Martin
Class: (S)
RIFLE: Marlin 925
CALIBER: .22LR
AMMO: Aguila Super Extra - 1135 fps
MATCH: 100YB-TQ4
SCORE: 240-3x

CLASS: (S)
AMMO: CCI Blazer - 1235 fps
MATCH: 100YB-TQ4
SCORE: 232-3x

<span style="text-decoration: underline">100YB-25RD </span>

AMMO: Aguila Super Extra 1135 fps
MATCH: 100YB-25RD
SCORE: 21 OF 25

AMMO: CCI Blazer 1235 fps
MATCH: 100YB-25RD
SCORE: 16 of 25

<span style="text-decoration: underline">100YB-35RD </span>

AMMO: Aguila Super Extra 1135 fps
MATCH: 100YB-35RD
SCORE: 24 of 25

AMMO: CCI Blazer 1235 fps
MATCH: 100YB-35RD
SCORE: 19 of 25

Thanks, y'all for the kind words. He was doing a lot better today. I think we are in the clear. Should be out of the hospital by Friday or Saturday. He might not even need the PICC like he had installed (this is an IV that runs from the arm into the art to inject anti-bodies directly into the heart- tough for a dad to think about). He was building Lego's today, which was a good sign he is on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the update, Carter. I know all of us are glad to hear your son is doing better. I kind of feel we're all family here at SH and we are concerned when we hear news such as that about your son, or anyone else within our family here.

Re: .22LR Long-Range Question

I'm pretty much a beginner at attempting to
shoot long-range with a .22LR. I have a CZ 452 "Trainer"
right now with a Busnell 3200 10x40 on it. I don't want
to remove the rear iron sight and right now in
some regular CZ rings, the scope is pretty much up
against that sight. I'd like to get a rail for it
EGW probably but am not sure whether I'd need
a 20 MOA or 0 MOA rail. The scope's specs say
it's range of adjustment is 80 inches at 100 yds which
seems like it would cover the 50 MOA I'd need if I ever shot
300 yds. I still want to be able to shoot at 50 yds.

If I got the 20 MOA rail, wouldn't I be stuck shooting
150-300 yds. Any info on what to choose would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

My regrets that I did not get scores posted this month.
Being un employed you would think I could make out to the range. Sloth is a damm poor excuse.
On the other hand, my house did get a new roof on this month between wind and snow storms. Very much needed after last summer's hail.
I was an instructor at two, 2 day marksmanship clinics.
Did get some shooting time but kept waiting for better wind conditions. Groups fired tended to be somewhat horizontal.
Here's hoping work starts again this week.
Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the update, Carter. I know all of us are glad to hear your son is doing better. I kind of feel we're all family here at SH and we are concerned when we hear news such as that about your son, or anyone else within our family here. </div></div>

my sentiments exactly, good to here things worked out for your kid.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">APRIL 2011 LONG RANGE RESULTS</span></span>

Well as documented it above posts, it seems most everyone was FUBAR this month with the exception of 2 shooters. No biggie, hopefully we'll all get a chance in May!

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL ARE .22LR CAL AND SCOPED</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 YARD</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB-TQ4</span>

Joe Martin.........240-3X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB-25RD</span>

Joe Martin.........21 OF 25

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB-35RD </span>

Joe Martin.........24 OF 25

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">200 YARD</span> </span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">200YP A21 </span></span>

BERGA............247-8X.....(sling only)

<span style="color: #FF0000">300YP-MR63C </span>

BERGA............237-6X.....(sling only)

Again, hopefully May will bring the flowers those nasty April showers promised, and we can all shake off those gremlins that plagued most of us this month.

May also holds a special holiday - Memorial Day - an oppurtunity to remember those near and dear to us that are no longer here and those that have made the ultimate sacrifice so we that we can have the priviledge of doing what it is we do everyday and having the freedoms we have. Take the time to remember them.