• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-10 Bolt Catch issue ?

jrsandiego12

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have an AR-10 in 6.5CM. If I pull the bolt back with the charging handle slowly the bolt catch comes up between the BCG and bolt lugs - it holds the bolt at this "90%" open position, but CAN'T be pulled back any further with the charging handle. BUT, if I pull it back swiftly, then the bolt catch will latch the bolt all the way back by the bolt lugs. The issue is that sometimes the bolt locks back in this 90% position when the mag runs empty, and when I reload and release the bolt forward it isn't behind the round far enough, drags the round out of the mag and jams.

I am wondering if the bolt catch is causing the issue because it won't let the bolt lock all the way back if it moves to slowly over the catch. Has anyone encountered this? Anyone modified the bolt catch to enable it to be pulled back to the 100% position even if it catches at 90%?

(Please ignore the gas port issue in this case - that is a different issue.)

Unless theres a problem with the internal spring or plunger of the catch it sounds like a buffer/tube/spring issue.

May actually be related to the other problem.

Address the ONE LINE:
but CAN'T be pulled back any further with the charging handle.
Sounds easy to troubleshoot (but probably won't be :) )
Pull back AND hold the Bolt Release. Goes back or NO?
Remove buffer and spring.
Pull back. Still won't go back?
Open the take down pin. Slowly remove the bolt. Can you get the bolt out?
Turn buffer tube out a turn or two, but leave just enough to still engage the catch.
Any 'special' parts?

Post picture of lower @ bolt catch UP with empty mag in place.
Can you push the bolt catch down with an empty mag?

Last edited:
The whole leading edge of the bolt catch should be a 45 degree "ramp" that the bolt rides over, pushing it out of the way as it slides by. Is there something in the profile of yours that would catch the bolt rather than letting it ramp over it?

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Nope guess again.... I can make mine do that on a fully functional rifle if I hold the bolt catch open and stop there.