• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 build

Navy87SS

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
Salina, Ks
I recently acquired an AR-10 stripped lower receiver, and now I'm looking at different configurations for my build. I'm very familiar with the AR style rifles, but this will be my first build from just parts. I've already got a 2 stage National Match trigger and a 9"-12" Harris bipod (rail mount), but not much else. Can anyone give me some pointers on building one of these rifles?

Re: AR-10 build

Take note: All AR-10 parts are not interchangeable. Some lowers will not mate with some uppers and vice versa. Be sure to get an upper that matches your lower. some manufacturers will also tell you that their handguard will only fit their uppers using their barrel nut... I do not have a full list or details at to which match what and which do not. But a heads up is definitely needed.

I just got a great deal on a barely used Armalite AR-10 so I didn't need to build, but I was planning a build befor the deal came along.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take note: All AR-10 parts are not interchangeable. Some lowers will not mate with some uppers and vice versa. Be sure to get an upper that matches your lower. some manufacturers will also tell you that their handguard will only fit their uppers using their barrel nut... I do not have a full list or details at to which match what and which do not. But a heads up is definitely needed.

I just got a great deal on a barely used Armalite AR-10 so I didn't need to build, but I was planning a build befor the deal came along.

Good luck! </div></div>

Thanks, I noticed a little of that when looking at Rock River's complete uppers. They have one that's exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately, it won't fit my lower. I'll be sure the keep the parts compatibility issue in mind, I appreciate it.

Just get a Gap-10 upper and be done with it ! They use only the best parts and they're a freaking laser ! I just picked up one used with under 400 hundred rounds down the pipe and every 5 shot group is under a 1/2" ! I just have concentrate on the basics and have perfect follow through . Another plus is its already assembled .

What brand of "national match" trigger and what brand lower receiver do you have? You can do research using the google search engine and find tons of info re AR10 components and compatibility. Good luck with your build! I've built both Armalite and DPMS sonfigurations from the ground up and am happy to help, just send me a PM.

Google Search

What caliber do you want it to be? For that matter...what do you want to do with it, what do you WANT to build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sithlord</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just get a Gap-10 upper and be done with it ! They use only the best parts and they're a freaking laser ! I just picked up one used with under 400 hundred rounds down the pipe and every 5 shot group is under a 1/2" ! I just have concentrate on the basics and have perfect follow through . Another plus is its already assembled .</div></div> As GAP-10s are built on POF receivers, you're not going to be able to run it on an AR-10 pattern lower. Since it's an AR-10, I'd start looking at offerings from Armalite or Noveske.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What caliber do you want it to be? For that matter...what do you want to do with it, what do you WANT to build?</div></div> ^^^Exactly. OP, what direction do you want to go with this? Otherwise you're going to end up with a lot of bad advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As GAP-10s are built on POF receivers, you're not going to be able to run it on an AR-10 pattern lower. Since it's an AR-10, I'd start looking at offerings from Armalite or Noveske.</div></div>

Yes, GAP-10's are the POF pattern and will not work on an Armalite lower, HOWEVER GAP can build a AR10 upper for him. I checked into this and also checked into just having GAP turn me a barrel to match my bolt. If I decide to switch my AR10 to a 6.5CM or 6CM, I will more than likely have GAP turn the barrel. The rest of it is just screwing it together.

For my build I went with a Noveske barrel. There were some small issues with it, but I think the main issue was with my assembly. I was used to building rack grade close range AR's not match AR's. I have now learned a few things from some very experienced folks. I am now working on mastering the rifle.

Noveske, Krieger, and Rainier Arms all carry AR10 barrels. Armalite is having a sale on stripped AR10 uppers right now. Bolt carrier groups are also available from them. How it goes together will depend largely on what handguard system you choose. After that it's all just tuning the system in.

Sithlord, I would love a GAP upper. I called them yesterday, and I'm lookin at 1600-1700 for one of their .308 uppers with 1:11.25 twist. Fortunately it will work just fine on the lower that I have. I'm just not a fan of that price tag, but it's the nature of the beast sometimes.

DT1, I have an Rock River Arms national match trigger and a DPMS lower. I got both of them in trade helping a buddy fab up a 6" lift for his Cherokee a while back.

As far as specifics on the build, I want .308 caliber (mainly so I dont have to stock ANOTHER ammo type on top of 5.56 and a half dozen pistol calibers), and I'm looking for performance comparable to a KAC SR-25 or M110.

Also I'd like to keep the weight down as much as I can. I'm out in California for a little while yet as I still have some time left in the Navy and I need a lighter rifle for hunting out here. To get to anything worth killing you have to hike over 4 mountains to get to a decent spot and I don't want to keep hauling my .308 Remington 700 VS everywhere. I haven't weighed the VS but lugging up and down mountains all day gets old really fast.

Here's a few things for you to look into. For caliber choice I wouldn't hold myself to .308 unless you enjoy calling the wind and shooting a rainbow arc of a trajectory path. Ammo availability is one thing, but performance is another. Check out some of the 6.5/.260 offerings out there; you might be surprised that sometimes smaller is better.

Weight is a bitch in the mountains, but that's a matter of the right sling or pack to haul your kit with. There is a threshold there, but there's also crippling yourself for the sake of weight. There's also better ways of saving on weight that don't hamper your accuracy and performance. Everything from stock and forearm to scopes and mount choices play into that. Think simple and aluminum.

Wanting M110/SR-25 performance requires the right barrel, and those come with a price tag. You don't necessarily need one that is super tricked out, but at least make sure you have a good tube on it.

I recommend contacting Scottmilk9 with Specialized Dynamics as a source for a premium upper at a fair price. He knows a thing or two about killing critters too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a few things for you to look into. For caliber choice I wouldn't hold myself to .308 unless you enjoy calling the wind and shooting a rainbow arc of a trajectory path. Ammo availability is one thing, but performance is another. Check out some of the 6.5/.260 offerings out there; you might be surprised that sometimes smaller is better.

Weight is a bitch in the mountains, but that's a matter of the right sling or pack to haul your kit with. There is a threshold there, but there's also crippling yourself for the sake of weight. There's also better ways of saving on weight that don't hamper your accuracy and performance. Everything from stock and forearm to scopes and mount choices play into that. Think simple and aluminum.

Wanting M110/SR-25 performance requires the right barrel, and those come with a price tag. You don't necessarily need one that is super tricked out, but at least make sure you have a good tube on it.

I recommend contacting Scottmilk9 with Specialized Dynamics as a source for a premium upper at a fair price. He knows a thing or two about killing critters too. </div></div>

I appreciate it. I've looked at a few different calibers (mainly .260), and I'll most likely pick up another upper down the road. For the initial build I'd like to stick with sometime I already have a lot of good ammo for.

I'm definitely not looking for a super tactical combat rifle with this build. It's not like I'm back in Fallujah haha. The barrel and handguard are my main points of focus, I just want to put accurate shots down range and use my bipod.

Those Specialized Dynamics uppers are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hightech_Redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm out in California for a little while yet as I still have some time left in the Navy and I need a lighter rifle for hunting out here.
</div></div>

Be mindful of the cali assault weapons laws. As far as a lighter rifle for hunting in Cali blacktail deer and the small hogs we have here can be taken with a 223. If you get into the mountains near OR or NV you will find much larger mule deer though so a 30 cal would make sense then.

Any AR 308 you build will be around 9lbs at the low end unloaded and unscoped.

Rainier has their 16" standard (250) and 16" match (350?) in stock right now (lots of handguard styles pick whatever you want). That plus a DPMS upper and charging handle from JSESurplus and your choice of gas block and muzzle device would be a good start. For BCG fulton should have some in stock also call around locally some shops in Norcal and Socal have them. As far as assembling it yourself goes a DPMS receiver block, AR 15 wrench, torque wrench as well as a bit of grease and various screwdrivers/allen wrenches are all that's required. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hightech_Redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DT1, I have an Rock River Arms national match trigger and a DPMS lower. </div></div>

If your lower is made by DPMS it IS NOT an AR10. You will confuse the hell out of people if you refer to it as such. It's like calling a Ford a Chevy because they are both trucks with four tires.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hightech_Redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I'd like to keep the weight down as much as I can.</div></div>

I would highly suggest forgetting a LR-308 for hunting if you are worried about weight. They get real heavy, real quick. My 26" 700 is more accurate and lighter for less money and no worries about California's funky gun laws.

Since you have a DPMS lower there are a couple key things to consider, and like Lonewolf pointed out, it's not an AR10.

The DPMS pattern will take PMAGs. I'm a big fan of these and have 6 so far for my Mega. They run about 18-19 a pop but check your local Kali laws. Midwest PX has done mods to the mags to make them so they don't hold as many rounds. (I live in WY so mag capacity doesn't affect me at all.)

A LPK from DPMS or Fulton plus pistol grip and buttstock will get your lower completed. I got a Fulton kit minus trigger for less then $60 and used a Giessele in my Mega. If you're going lightweight, and budget, then use an A2 stock. If you're going collapsible you will definitely want to get a CAR10 buffer and spring which unfortunately runs $110 or so. So it all depends on whether you want collapsible or fixed and whether or not the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia allows it.

For upper receivers you could buy a factory upper or build one. Building one allows you to have the parts you want, buying one means its a done deal, your choice. However if you do build you will need to verify your reciever height if you get a DMPS A3 flattop. They decided to change their rail height for some reason so there are now 3 heights; their tall slick side upper, and 2 A3 heights. The older height allowed for better aftermarket matching of rails. The new height you have to use their rails or you can get a Troy since they offer two heights. Or you can skip the DPMS height BS and order a Fulton, they have a slick side that will cut down on weight.

For lightweight I would suggest a tube with the ability to mount short accessory rails. Quad rails on a hunting rifle will weight you down. Having the short top rail will allow for a BUIS and short bottom for bipod. Fulton and JP make DPMS pattern tubes with ability to mout rails.

Rainier barrels are a pretty good price, you should check them out. I bought their Select bbl in 18 inches and used a Vltor gas block. Since you have DPMS pattern the gas tube lengths are the same as AR15s. You could get their Ultramatch barrel if you have the money to spend. They were out when I built mine 3 months ago but the Select is a great buy for the price.

So here's a break down of what I suggest.

Lower-
Fulton LPK minus trigger
A2 stock with DPMS spring and buffer
Pistol Grip of your choice
PMAGs

Upper-
Fulton flattop slick side
Tube of your choice
Rainier bbl of your choice
GB and tube
OPS Inc buzzle brake
DPMS BCG

There is a quick list of what I would build if I was biulding a lightweight hunting rig. My Mega is a beast and weighs in at the 14-15lbs range and is a pig to hump but I did it Elk hunting. Other then the Mega receiver mine is all DPMS pattern.

PM me if you have questions.

Resampled_2011-11-25_12-40-20_757.jpg

I have a good ref build sheet if you want a copy e-mail me [email protected] . I agree with the above post weight comes quick as it did with my Mega but its worth every once. The DPMS style has many more options out there for parts and ++1 for PMAGS.

If I can help answer any question e-mail or PM me

Semper Fi

Redneck,

I frequent calguns.net, a California forum, and from what i gather DPMS is specifically not allowed in california...i could be wrong, but DPMS stamped lowers may not be legal in ur state. You may want to check on that first.

If the DPMS lower is legal, and you want a lightweight 308, look at the DPMS LR-308L for inspiration. That rifle weighs 7.9lbs, has an 18" barrel with a brake, the same trigger you have, a carbon fiber free-float tube, and a hollowed-out A2 stock...they are about as light as you can build a 308 AR.

If you can't use your DPMS lower, you can sell it and get another DPMS/SR-25 pattern lower (like you already have) from POF, Mega, CMMG, Fulton-armory, GAP, SI-Defense et-al.

M110 performance requires a 20" barrel (tho 18" is almost as good).

Have you looked at purchasing a Remington R-25? It's made by DPMS, but without the DPMS name on the reciever (California legal), has a 20" barrel, and weighs either 7.75pounds or 8.75pounds depending on which specificaiton you want to believe.

As already mentioned, stop referrring to your lower as "an AR-10". You have a 308 AR lower (from DPMS).

There is a huge forum on ar15.com on the difference between the 308 AR styles and what's compatible with what.