• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 in 6.5 x 47L ?

Mrhyne

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
I am wanting to convert my armalite AR10 to a 6.5 x47l because I am having a precision bolt rifle built in this caliber.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I'd be worried about cycling with those pressures. The ar10s seem pretty picky outside of 308 (and even 308). I haven't ever seen one in that caliber but my other concern would be feeding with that shoulder. May or may not be an issue. I think it'll be more trouble than its worth.

Ammo and brass for the 6.5x47 are spendy and AR's are rough on brass.

Economics aside, the shoulder angle might create feeding issues out of AR mags.

Why not go 6.5 Creedmoor? You will get more velocity out of the 123/130 class bullets.

This 6.5X47 project has been tried and tried again with very limited success. For all of the reasons stated above, don't take a proverbial stab at it unless money pits are your idea of fun.

Shoulder location on the 6.5x47 Lapua is shorter than any of the .308-based cases, so the way it articulates with the magazine and feed ramps won't be the same.

One source of brass, which is costly. Great bolt gun cartridge.

I went .260 Remington for my gassers. Way more choices and sources for brass, case dimensions are the same as a .308 for feeding purposes, same shoulder location, same shoulder angle.

I built a 6X47 Lapua for a guy that just had to have one. Really no issues with it as I worked up in gas port diameter until function was consistent with no overgassing. Biggest problem was you couldn't shoot some VLD bullets out of it as the fine tapered bullet front would jam in the gap between the bbl extension lugs and hang up on feeding. More conventional bullets worked fine and accuracy was very good. I tried to talk him into something with cheaper brass but he really wanted the Lapua case. He's very happy with it and hasn't had any problems. That said I would go 6.5 Creedmore myself in your case.

I really appreciate the input. the main reason I wanted to do that is to stick with one caliber but you guys confirmed my worries of the 6.5x47L case in the semi auto. I wanted to use 130gr VLD's and Msalm told me exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks again.