• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 single-stage match trigger

HKinAK

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Hello,

I need some assistance. I am looking for a match trigger that is single stage for an Armalite AR-10. The two-stage match trigger is not my preference, but I want a trigger that is strong enough for mil-spec primers to ensure that I will not get any soft strikes.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: AR-10 single-stage match trigger

I am looking at the Timney and Wilson Combat TTU. I also sent you a PM.

I have tried the Timney triggers and I get soft strikes with mil-spec primers. So I am looking for something more reliable.

I have a JARD in my AR-10. I did have to replace the JARD hammer spring with the original Armalite spring to prevent soft strikes. Didn't have any effect on the trigger pull.

HK did you use the Timney specific to the AR-10 platform or just a standard Timney.Because if you still got light primer strikes with the Timmey AR-10 trigger than you just helped me decide on the Wilson Combatt TTU. Every review I have read on them states not only is the price worth it because of the quality, the trigger pull is smooth 0 creep and has some serious spring pressure and hits the primers good and hard. I have not seen a negative comment at all on it. I might have to make a phone call to Wilson and make sure its stong enough to stand up to the heavier .308 BCG.

I have run OVER 1k rounds through one of my AR-10s with the 4lb Timney AR-10 specific trigger with a variety of ammunition from Austrian and German surplus, Federal/LC XM80, FGMM, BH, and my reloads and I have not had any light primer strikes to date.

If you were running the AR-10 specific trigger, you might try sending it back to Timney for warranty service/replacement. It should function fine with mil-surplus ammo and mil-spec primers.

Check out a Bill Springfield trigger job. For about $40.00 he will work your factory trigger over and it will feel like a $200 custom trigger. Even better, it will still be a mil-spec rugged trigger, not a competition trigger.

I thank he also keeps some completed on hand that you can purchase.

http://triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Sorry for the incomplete description......my apologies.

I am using the timney trigger for the AR-10, but have received soft strikes on mil-spec match ammmo. I want the reliability to be 100 percent in the instance that I might have to rely on mil-spec ammo. On commercial match ammo it doesn't have a problem.

I have had Springfield do work on my HK trigger packs, and they are indeed very smooth. I will check with him on the AR-10. Thank you, ORD. I will email timney and try and see what they want to do. Thank you all for the input.

And again sorry for being a little slow in the noggin..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out a Bill Springfield trigger job. <span style="color: #FF0000">For about $40.00 he will work your factory trigger over and it will feel like a $200 custom trigger.</span> Even better, it will still be a mil-spec rugged trigger, not a competition trigger.

http://triggerwork.net/ar15s.html </div></div>

You've probably never felt a "$200" trigger in an AR before if you make a bold assumption like that. What bill springfield does to a mil-spec trigger is nothing close to what an engineered, re-designed trigger will EVER be. I would just do this and save the $40 if cost is a big deal: AR trigger job

Or, if you want cheap then look at JP trigger springs and swap out the springs.

I've got a Timney coming this week, I'll try it with some South African .308 this weekend.

How does the single stage trigger now used in the POF 308 compare the the trigger they used previously ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out a Bill Springfield trigger job. <span style="color: #FF0000">For about $40.00 he will work your factory trigger over and it will feel like a $200 custom trigger.</span> Even better, it will still be a mil-spec rugged trigger, not a competition trigger.

http://triggerwork.net/ar15s.html </div></div>

You've probably never felt a "$200" trigger in an AR before if you make a bold assumption like that. What bill springfield does to a mil-spec trigger is nothing close to what an engineered, re-designed trigger will EVER be. I would just do this and save the $40 if cost is a big deal: AR trigger job

Or, if you want cheap then look at JP trigger springs and swap out the springs.

</div></div>

A $200 trigger will not make any gun shoot any straighter. It's the person pulling the trigger that matters.

While I agree with you that the person manipulating the trigger is really the key to the whole equation of getting the most out of any rifle, I respectfully disagree that a quality trigger will not make the rifle shoot better.

The simple fact is that a poor trigger, whether due to an excessively heavy pull, creep, a gritty/rough pull, excessive overtravel, etc., detracts from even the best shooter's ability to accurately put rounds on target. If your premise that a $200 trigger won't make the rifle shoot straighter was accurate...why the hell would anybody would pay money for trigger jobs, match triggers, etc. because the CRAP trigger from the factory or a LPK would be a non-factor in producing an accurate and reliable rifle.

As for Bill Springfield...I can personally vouch for Bill's trigger jobs. He is a wonder when it comes to tuning factory triggers and he has done several for me on HK rifles in the past. Any money you spend with Bill is money well spent! But, with that said, Bill's trigger jobs can't compete with a purpose-built triggers by Geissele or like companies where you get engineering designed to accomplish the best trigger possible while not sacrificing on reliability. Modifying a trigger can only get you so far...

Thank you ORD... that's what I was getting at.

Assuming a "$40 trigger job" to a stock mil-spec trigger feels "just as good" as a purpose built and engineered trigger like Geissele Automatics is ridiculous.

Of course any excessively poor trigger will hinder a shooters ability, but the most important thing is understanding how your weapon reacts and functions, and that includes mastering its trigger pull. I do believe in a good factory trigger. I have no reason for a less than a pound trigger, if that is what someone else needs to give them an edge in a competition then by all means get one. All of my firearms are built for service, not competition. Their is a reason that our military has a mil spec which is what the OP said he is requiring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKinAK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

I need some assistance. I am looking for a match trigger that is single stage for an Armalite AR-10. The two-stage match trigger is not my preference, but I want a trigger that is strong enough for mil-spec primers to ensure that I will not get any soft strikes.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.</div></div>

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.2_fc.php

full stop end of story

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course any excessively poor trigger will hinder a shooters ability, but the most important thing is understanding how your weapon reacts and functions, and that includes mastering its trigger pull. I do believe in a good factory trigger. I have no reason for a less than a pound trigger, if that is what someone else needs to give them an edge in a competition then by all means get one. All of my firearms are built for service, not competition. Their is a reason that our military has a mil spec which is what the OP said he is requiring. </div></div>If you're implying that it's the shooter and not the gun, you're right. However, a better trigger can only give you an advantage. A great shot should be able to shoot accurately with a mil spec trigger, but.... he/she should be able to shoot even better with a fine match trigger. Sure, skills are more important than parts, but why put yourself at a disadvantage if the parts are available and can be used to your advantage?

BTW, the OP is not asking for a mil spec trigger. He is looking for a match trigger which can reliably light off mil spec primers.

Also, regarding your post about Bill Springfield's trigger jobs still being mil spec rugged, I have to disagree. Once the trigger points are modified, it's no longer mil spec reliable. There have been quite a few reports of his AR trigger jobs going bad and having double fires. I'm not bashing him, as I have 2 triggers worked over by him and they are great with no problems so far, but I'm just passing on info I've read about.

Just tried my Wilson TTU in my LMW MWS and if the trigger is held down after the shot then the hammer falls again with the bolt/carrier group. I did not try to fire the gun like this because of safety issues. If I released the trigger and then cycled the action it reset like normal. Im emailing Wilson to see if they have heard about this yet. I really like my Wilson TTU and would prefer to run it.

One thought on the light strikes. I have seen DPMS .308 chambers that were tight enough that some milsurp 7.62 ammo would not allow the bolt to lock completely and resulted in a light strike. The key to diagnosing it was the extra effort required to open the bolt after chambering a milsurp round vs FGMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for passing on the hear say. </div></div>

The info is out there to see for yourself if you search.

I had good luck with the JP Enterprises trigger that came with my DPMS SASS LR308. I would have liked the speed hammer, but DPMS choose not to put that in their builds. I spoke with John Paul from JP Enterprises about it and found there was more to adjusting the trigger than just watching a video. I would have to agree that a properly adjusted competition trigger makes it much nicer to shoot. I never had any reliablity issues, but I didn't change the springs to the lighter ones either. My trigger was set at 4.5 pounds but it felt more like 3-3.5 once it was adjusted.