• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10T Anygood?

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    I have the chance to purchase a 20" version AR-10T. I have always wanted to do a Semi precision gun but couldn't afford a GAP or POF. What can I expect accuracy wise from a 20" AR-10T? I'm a better than average shooter but not a professional. I can shoot the majority of guns to their potential, MOST(everybody has their bad days) of the time. Also, what is the twist on the armalites? I think it is a 1-10 but just want to be sure. If it does not shoot to my liking how does GA or other places get thier rifles to shoot 1/2moa or better? Do they accurize the bolt/carrier (Don't even know if it's possible) similar to how they accurize a 700 action or is it all in the barrel of choice for a AR10 style rifle?

Re: AR-10T Anygood?

Ar-10 rifles are some of the hardest rifles to run.

There is no forgiveness in your fundamentals of marksmanship.

A AR-10 factory style rifle can hold its own with most factory bolt action rifles if the driver knows how to drive the weapon system.

So if you want one, I say go for it!!!!!!!

But please know its a hard rifle to run, but it makes you a better shooter over all and you can have just as good of groups as the next bolt guy.

John

That rifle may not technically be the most accurate out there, but it is easily accurate enough. It is not going to be a comp winning Benchrest rifle, but if you do your part it will be just as good at ringing steel as anything else.

Do note Johns warning though, they are less forgiving to drive than a bolt gun (thats true of all gassers). You really have to pay attention to yourself as the shooter.

The 10T, is easily a .5moa/.75moa rifle, if you develop your abilities to wring it out.
    Used to come std, w/ LW barrels.

The AR-10T series by Armalite are quite accurate as far as my experience goes. Feed 'em well and treat 'em right, and they will reward you with groups that will rival ANY weapon. There are more than a few good smiths that can warm them over. they are Armalite's flagship. They are pretty damn good out of the box. Mine are. Eric

I have one of the older 24" AR-10Ts... if you're looking at a semi-auto (rather than bolt), I think the AR-10T outshoots any other semi-auto .308 in its price range, for sure. But I second the opinions above -- it's finicky on what ammo it likes. And each one is different. Mine likes the lighter stuff, for some reason.

Good stuff. I looked on the Armalite website and it's saying the 20" T has a 1:11.25 twist so I'm good with that. I have shot semi guns before for accuracy and it is a challenge, but I do consider myself a better than average shooter but not a benchrest guy either. I was just wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect from the gun with Hornady,FGMM,BH if do my part. Would love to see some pics if anybody has any.

I MIGHT have an old target that I shot with a couple of different black hills load s and FGMM. I'll try to dig it up. Not promising anything though.The Giesselle trigger has got to be the BEST trigger I have ever tried.

I want an AR10 in the worst way...

That reminds me I need to call my dealer to find otu what he charges for the .308 lowers...

I wan't to do a build in .260

+1 on the Geissele... I have a Geissele installed and it is hands down the best trigger I've ever tugged on, on any platform.

Here's a target I shot earlier this year with my AR10T, using Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr:
    ar10t_group.jpg

Wow, that is a nice looking group. I may need to get a Geissele trigger for my Armalite SASS I picked up last month. I just put some glass on it so I am ready to take it out and see what it'll do. I have not decided if I like the NM trigger that came on it yet. I guess I need to put in some time at the range trying to group with the rifle so I can decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ar-10 rifles are some of the hardest rifles to run.

There is no forgiveness in your fundamentals of marksmanship.

A AR-10 factory style rifle can hold its own with most factory bolt action rifles if the driver knows how to drive the weapon system.

So if you want one, I say go for it!!!!!!!

But please know its a hard rifle to run, but it makes you a better shooter over all and you can have just as good of groups as the next bolt guy.

John </div></div>

I am building an AR10, and outfitting it with components to ensure it performs as well as possible (Krieger barrel, Geissele trigger, handloads, etc, or I just buy a GAP). But, I am a novice shooter and would appreciate any tips or directions for other things to read on how I can shoot better with a gas gun. I don't really know what makes these rifles harder to shoot.

- Phil