• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR 15 detachable carry handle gone awry

relentless

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Hockley, Texas
I took off my scope from my flattop to make sure my carry handle irons were sighted in & I can't get enough right dialed in. The knob continues to turn but POI doesn't shift. This is all Colt, handle is only marked A6. Is there a top of the line handle that precision shooters prefer? Or is this malfunction something that can be fized?
Any pertient suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
relentless

AR 15 detachable carry handle gone awry

I always use genuine Colt handles and have been happy.

When you adjust, the sight blade isn't moving at all?

Rock River makes one that has 1/4 or 1/2 MOA windage and elevation adjustments and enough travel for 600 yards. You could always get another screw and aperture for your existing one fairly cheap.

Does your windage knob have a small allen head screw or is it pinned through the windage screw shaft?

Is your FSB canted to the right by any chance? That is typical of a rack-grade AR15, and it usually favors the right side, requiring a lot of right windage, often to the point of maxing out on adjustment with no zero. We had the problem frequently with the M4 and KAC BUIS.

So if the knob is turning, is the aperature moving in the direction that you are turning the windage knob? If you turn it to move impact to the right the aperature should be moving to the right, if left it should move to the left. If it's not moving then the pin through the knob could be broken or the windage screw has a problem.

Have you removed the barrel or replaced it since you were not using your carry handle?

bfuller....yes the barrel has been swapped out. It is Colt HBAR 1/7. Deadly accurate with Sierra 77 grs & RL15 when scoped w/ Mark 2 Leupold 3 - 9.
Knob on carry handle turns clockwise constantly but rear peep refuses to travel right after a certain point. I see there are rebuild kits but I'm not of that ilk. Will just return to the scope although I like irons. I shoot irons in BPCR Sharps rifle out to 500 meters. It is my favorite thing to do but I digress.
relentless

I'm guessing that maybe the threads are stripped out on the windage screw or the aperature, hard to say without looking it over. One thing you could do is take the rear sight apart and inspect the components. It comes apart pretty easily. Or you could go and buy a fold down BUIS that would fit under your scope just in case something happens to your optic you would have something for back-up.

To check to see if your front sight base is cocked to one side or another is to turn your barreled upper upside down and rest the two ears of the front sight base on a flat surface then lay the top picatinny rail of the receiver on a block that is parallel to the same flat surface (a table saw works well for this) that the front sight is sitting on. If you don't have a table saw, the kitchen counter will work as well but may not be as flat as the table saw or maybe you got a buddy with granite countertops. This is not really precise but will give you an idea if your front sight is fairly close to being perpendicular to the picatinny rail on the top of the receiver.

If the ears on the front sight are both touching the flat surface, the picatinny rail should be laying flat on the block. This would indicate the front sight was perpendicular to the flat of the picatinny rail. If the rail doesn't lay flat on the block then your front sight base is not perpendicular to the rail.

Last edited: