• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 in 7.62x39

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
I'm sorry if this is an old post question, but does anyone make a good AR platform chambered for 7.62x39? I have an AK and several SKS's so am trying to focus in on common ammo, but wondering if an AR "new made" rifle would be more accurate than the stuff I have. My Russian SKS is pretty good but the others are just as designed, minute of pie plate, at 100 yds.

Re: AR 15 in 7.62x39

All I have ever read of the platform is mags are expensive, hard to find and unreliable. Now that was 2-3 years ago (maybe more) so it could have changed.

There are some Colts still around. I've even seen some NIB in the last year. Bought this one in 92 and it's been dropped, submerged, tossed, and generally abused in the rain, mud, and dirt and the only issue I've had has been finding good hi-cap mags. Works with just about everyone's 5 and 10 round mags but the only good hi-caps that work for mine are the old C-Products mags. Haven't tried the Armalite or any other hi-cap mags.

100_1866.jpg

ColtSporter-1.jpg

Mine is just the upper, 16" Flat top, shoots extremely well and is very reliable with the Cproducts curved hicap magazines or the original 5 shot Colts.
colt-762x39.jpg

I don't really think that 7.62X39 uppers are necessary. Three reasons for this:

1. A nice quality upper is going to cost what an Arsenal SGL is going to cost.

2. The AR's inherent accuracy is going to be somewhat limited by ammo choices.

3. The AR was not built for this round. Do some research and the problems become a little more clear.

You are right that the AR platform is much more accurate. However, if you want accuracy, look into other rounds. Such as 6.5 or 6.8 because you will spend the same amount as you would on accurate 7.62X39 ammo and you will avoid the problems of cartridge to platform incompatibility.

You will also hit with equal strength to AK. 300 BLK is also an option.